Portable hood dryers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Which is the best brand of portable hood dryers to buy?

I work mobile and do fair bit of retro hair styling that needs one.

Many thanks

Lady M xxxx

Last edited:
i got a great one on amazon, its babybliss you need to set it on a table but its great.

i got a great one on amazon, its babybliss you need to set it on a table but its great.

Thanks, I've been looking at a babyliss as most of my curlers and wands ar from them and I really like the babyliss brand

How long does it take for the hood dryer to heat up and does it dry the hair quickly , as I worried they wont give off enough heat like a traditional fixed hooded salon dyer and it takes ages for the clients hair to dry.

Last edited:
its got 2 settings and its nice and wide for the big rollers, it takes about half hour for medium length hair i blast it with the hand dryer first though.

its got 2 settings and its nice and wide for the big rollers, it takes about half hour for medium length hair i blast it with the hand dryer first though.

Sounds just what I'm after!

I was thinking of investing in one too as I am really keen on doing vintage styles.
I've done a few but take ages with tongs and pincurls, thought rollers might be way to go.
If you would be happy to share any tips? Do you do marcel waves?

I was thinking of investing in one too as I am really keen on doing vintage styles.
I've done a few but take ages with tongs and pincurls, thought rollers might be way to go.
If you would be happy to share any tips? Do you do marcel waves?

I do, do Marcels waves :biggrin:

Theres a book by Lauren Rennells which full of hints and tips for vintage hairstyling that I got a few years ago for a B'day present ....its like my bible lol

I do, do Marcels waves :biggrin:

Theres a book by Lauren Rennells which full of hints and tips for vintage hairstyling that I got a few years ago for a B'day present ....its like my bible lol

Funnily enough I got that recently. It's fab:) although you know the section on pivot points for pincurls? Well that bit wrecked my head! Still don't quite get it but I'll plough on anyway:)

Oh and btw fair play to you doing marcel waves:), I find them seriously difficult :(

Hi Claire

is it very easy to transport and set up and take down?

many thanks

Lady M

It comes apart in 3 sections and one of the foot things comes off so can easily go into a car boot, has 3 settings also x

Oh and btw fair play to you doing marcel waves:), I find them seriously difficult :(

Do not use hair gel I got taught using this and it it didnt work for me.

use setting lotion instead as it gives a better hold and wack'em under a hood dryer,
As ive found most of the vintage styles require a hood dryer to spead up the drying process :biggrin:

I tend to charge a little more for vintage as the prep time is sometime more than other hairstyles

It comes apart in 3 sections and one of the foot things comes off so can easily go into a car boot, has 3 settings also x

Thank you:D

I think I might go for this one as the height is more ajustable than the other Babyliss...

Do not use hair gel I got taught using this and it it didnt work for me.

use setting lotion instead as it gives a better hold and wack'em under a dryer :biggrin:

Great tks for that:)

Hay!

I'm a mobile hairdresser and with all the equipment that's needed I found it all a bit too much to have a solid portable dryer to carry around as well so I use a hood dryer that you simply put over rollers, pull the cord so it doesn't blow away and it blows up like a balloon. It dry's clients hair amazingly! My clients seem to love it and all brides seem to have to have a picture taken with it on😁

Hay!

I'm a mobile hairdresser and with all the equipment that's needed I found it all a bit too much to have a solid portable dryer to carry around as well so I use a hood dryer that you simply put over rollers, pull the cord so it doesn't blow away and it blows up like a balloon. It dry's clients hair amazingly! My clients seem to love it and all brides seem to have to have a picture taken with it on😁

What brand do use?

There not really a branded item but you can get them from amazon for like £8 and mine has lasted a couple of years so far. Just type in hair dryer hood dryer :-D

i had this attachment for my dryer before i got my portable one i found it burned out my dryer from constant use and people found it got too hot with been so close to the head. thats just my experience with it though!
i think if you use it a lot for rollers you are better investing in a proper hood dryer.

Latest posts

Back