Positive support needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissylou

Reaction score
Hello I have been browsing this site for quite a few weeks now learning as much as I can from your posts. It inspired me to invest in the first tender steps into the world of nails and beauty starting with a manicure course. I am booked onto a cnd pedicure course next week also.

The thing is I work and earn ok money but I am not happy in my current employment. I am part time so I thought on my days off I could do my courses gradually. The thing is I have been reluctant to tell my mother about my intentions as she is a very negative person and very vocal about it. Yes I know I am not a child but infact forty one years of age but if any of you has a mother like this hopefully you would understand.

I have returned home today and my children have told my mother my intentions re nails and she has said I am stupid why have I wasted my money nobody will pay for it and I am stupid to even think that it could become any kind of business. Really negative comments. Ridiculous that I have taken it to heart but feel a bit crushed

Any help you can offer is much appreviated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I have been browsing this site for quite a few weeks now learning as much as I can from your posts. It inspired me to invest in the first tender steps into the world of nails and beauty starting with a manicure course. I am booked onto a cnd pedicure course next week also.

The thing is I work and earn ok money but I am not happy in my current employment. I am part time so I thought on my days off I could do my courses gradually. The thing is I have been reluctant to tell my mother about my intentions as she is a very negative person and very vocal about it. Yes I know I am not a child but infact forty one years of age but if any of you has a mother like this hopefully you would understand.

I have returned home today and my children have told my mother my intentions re nails and she has said I am stupid why have I wasted my money nobody will pay for it and I am stupid to even think that it could become any kind of business. Really negative comments. Ridiculous that I have taken it to heart but feel a bit crushed

Any help you can offer is much appreviated. :)
What a negative person your Mother sounds! I'm sorry you feel like you can't tell her about your plans, but I kind of see where you're coming from. I'm 31 and have just realised my dream of starting out in the business after years of hating my job too. I say good luck to you. And if your Mum has anymore negative comments, just smile and it'll make you work twice as hard and then she'll be eating her words! Good luck :hug: x

Aww no thats aweful for you, at the end of the day you need to do what you want to do and what will make you happy.

Of course people will pay for manicures they do all the time and you are having really good training. You can do some manicures and pedicures part time alongside your job and it will help pay for your other courses then as you get busier you could go full time.

I think you'll love it, I never thought I would and just did nails as a part time thing so that I could afford things at uni and now I've decided to go full time because I think its great.

If thats your dream go for it you will only regret it if you dont x

My darling I would tell your mother that you respect her point of view and promise her that you will never encourage her to either do a nail or beauty course or have any sort of treatment from you.

Beauty is, in fact, one of the fastest growing industries in the world and even in this recession most of us have survived really nicely thank you! I brought my son up on my own through my business and did my first course the month after my husband left us!

It is none of her business what you do, she has an opinion but that is all it is.

Follow your heart my darling and prove this very silly woman wrong!:lick:

That's a shame your Mum has been negative towards your new venture. Ignore it stay positive and stick to want you want to do. I bet your Mum won't say no when your needing a model or she wants her nails done, lol.

I to have had people laugh about I want to do and other things I want to learn. But I turn the other cheek and ignore it, lol.

Keep smiling, block negativity, and most of all keep at it. x

Just stay strong and prove her wrong hun. I've told my mom I want to open a salon eventually and even showed the style I want it in and she turns round and says "but you won't open a salon will you" well thanks mom. She is supportive of everything I'm doing in nails just thinks I will never open a salon. Well I will just show her lol. If its what you want to do then do it hun xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I have had negative people around me like that too, but do you know what, it makes me even more determined to prove them wrong. And I have done which makes it so much more satisfying. Make her eat her words, so when you are successful and she asks you to do her nails say ooooh let me check my diary it might be a few weeks before I can fit you in!!! Turn the negative into a determination to succeed, it is hard when it is constant but keep your chin up and smile sweetly and prove her wrong.

Google "toxic mothers", and you will find there are a lot of us who suffer the same issues as you.
In most people's eyes I would be held up as a success story. My mother still calls me a failure. I paid for her apartment, and she screamed loudly that I am tight because I couldn't afford to buy her a new kitchen and bathroom just because she was bored with what she had.
The only way I could deal with her was to cut myself off. Sad for her, sanity for me.

Plenty of people are earning money doing nails. Deep down you already know that. Close your ears, cos she has no idea what she is talkin about.

Thanks for your replies guys. It's much appreciated and yes I need to turn these negative comments into a determination to succeed. To be honest if I say I am doing anything that she hasn't suggested organised or done herself is always a bad idea and is met with major resistance. I am determined tho to live my life for me and do what I want to do. Starting today!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::

I have a grandmother just like this; myself and my one cousin are her only grandchildren and no matter what I do, it is never good enough for her. My cousin on the other hand, who I love to bits, is to be frank, a little sod but can do no wrong in her eyes. When I got 9 As and 3 A*s at GCSE and he got 4 Ds and 6 Es, he was better because he was going to 6th form and I didn't want to. Even now, he is unemployed whilst I have a good career plus am setting up my beauty business...still not good enough. About a year ago I finally realised that if I was queen of the world she still wouldn't be impressed so I gave up trying with her! Now I don't tell her anything about my life and she can't make me feel inferior anymore :).

Don't take any notice hun, if you really want to do this and are prepared to put in the work you will be fab at it, don't let anyone tell you any different. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back