Possible allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2021

Reaction score
I'm trained in gel polish and L&P for the last year. I have a home salon and business is steadily increasing and my clients are all regulars now. I'm really pleased how it's all going however I think I've developed/developing an allergy to products, in particular gel polish. I use Cuccio Veneer and I've always been very careful with all products to avoid over exposure to both myself and clients however I'm getting a cough when I use it.

It lasted for months, cleared up and I was on holiday this week, did 1 gel polish and was coughing straight away and still am now. My GP has confirmed its an allergy but thought it was hayfever as this is particularly bad on the area I live.

I'm back at my GP on Monday so trying to gather as much info as I can prior to the appointment. I already take antihistamines and a steroid nasal spray but I am concerned about any permanent damage or if it will become worse.

I've read the threads about allergies but most seem to be contact allergies so I'd appreciate any information or advice you can give. I'd be devastated if I had to give up now.

Unfortunately once allergic to something it's unlikely to go away, but it's impossible to tell exactly what you are reacting to.

Many techs with sensitivities and allergies get on well with CND Shellac as it doesn't contain many of the known allergens, you could get a trial kit and see how you get on with it.

Also if your coughing it sounds like your breathing zone is compromised , try and make sure you sit up straight and not hunched over the nails, there are also vapour extraction units that you can get but are extremely expensive

Hope you don't mind me commenting but I'm interested fro hear replies to this too.

I started my home and mobile nail business in June 2015. 6 weeks ago I also took some part time work in a salon. It's a small unventilated room with no windows, however we don't offer l&p only mani, pedi & cnd shellac.
I've noticed in the last few weeks that my nose always starts running when I'm there. It doesn't happen any other time except for at the salon and I haven't been unwell. Could it be due to ventilation or apps allergy related?! Xx

Hope you don't mind me commenting but I'm interested fro hear replies to this too.

I started my home and mobile nail business in June 2015. 6 weeks ago I also took some part time work in a salon. It's a small unventilated room with no windows, however we don't offer l&p only mani, pedi & cnd shellac.
I've noticed in the last few weeks that my nose always starts running when I'm there. It doesn't happen any other time except for at the salon and I haven't been unwell. Could it be due to ventilation or apps allergy related?! Xx
My nose runs too....

Unfortunately once allergic to something it's unlikely to go away, but it's impossible to tell exactly what you are reacting to.

Many techs with sensitivities and allergies get on well with CND Shellac as it doesn't contain many of the known allergens, you could get a trial kit and see how you get on with it.

Also if your coughing it sounds like your breathing zone is compromised , try and make sure you sit up straight and not hunched over the nails, there are also vapour extraction units that you can get but are extremely expensive
Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to sit upright as I suspect I do lean forward when I'm working.

I've bought a new desk with an extraction fan built in to help with nail dust. It's not great but it's certainly helps although I doubt it would do much with the fumes. I've always had heartburn when I get L&P enhancements on myself but the coughing certainly seems worse with the gel polish.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to sit upright as I suspect I do lean forward when I'm working.

I've bought a new desk with an extraction fan built in to help with nail dust. It's not great but it's certainly helps although I doubt it would do much with the fumes. I've always had heartburn when I get L&P enhancements on myself but the coughing certainly seems worse with the gel polish.

I think your nail desk extractor may be the problem too. When training we were told these extractors are not as good as you think they are. They gather the dust and blow it about. Has it started since you got the desk fan?

I think your nail desk extractor may be the problem too. When training we were told these extractors are not as good as you think they are. They gather the dust and blow it about. Has it started since you got the desk fan?
No I've just bought the desk to see if it helps. It is collecting a fair bit of dust when I'm filing

You could go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a consultant dermatologist as your allergy is affecting your ability to work and earn a living.

My GP referred me and because it was deemed 'work related' it didn't take long to get an appointment with the consultant where I was given a skin test. Minimal amounts of likely allergens are applied in a grid on your back and covered with a sort of sticky tape and then checked a few days later. The consultant gave me a printed list of all the substances I need to avoid, which is very handy.

I discovered I was allergic to the acrylates found in nail enhancements (gel & acrylic) so I gave up doing nails, sold all my kit and just do hair now. I started with a small reaction which I didn't think much of but then it grew until I was having breathing difficulties, so it had to be resolved. However, everyone is different so hopefully, you'll be able to find a solution that doesn't involve giving up your job.

I think if you can convince your GP that your ability to earn a living is being compromised, they will try to fast track your appointment.

U may be a CND girly soon [emoji12][emoji12] no jokes aside, I hope your allergy is treated.. Or it's just hay fever
Bugsy having all of your glitters if u stop doing nails [emoji41]

You could go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a consultant dermatologist as your allergy is affecting your ability to work and earn a living.

My GP referred me and because it was deemed 'work related' it didn't take long to get an appointment with the consultant where I was given a skin test. Minimal amounts of likely allergens are applied in a grid on your back and covered with a sort of sticky tape and then checked a few days later. The consultant gave me a printed list of all the substances I need to avoid, which is very handy.

I discovered I was allergic to the acrylates found in nail enhancements (gel & acrylic) so I gave up doing nails, sold all my kit and just do hair now. I started with a small reaction which I didn't think much of but then it grew until I was having breathing difficulties, so it had to be resolved. However, everyone is different so hopefully, you'll be able to find a solution that doesn't involve giving up your job.

I think if you can convince your GP that your ability to earn a living is being compromised, they will try to fast track your appointment.
Thanks very much for the advice. My GP is very understanding so I'm hopeful that she'll take it seriously. My concern is that it will get worse if I continue.

Aww bless you, thats terrible, but you can't mess round with your breathing. I think its likely to be airborne dust with the allergens in. Dust is a well known problem in all industries. Maybe a proper ventilating mask will help - I know it sounds extreme but not just a decorating one I mean a heavy duty filtered one. There might be something on health and safety executive website even advice for bakeries as flour dust can cause breathing problems or panel beaters, they also use acrylic and files on a larger scale when fixing up cars. Hope that helps xx

Aww bless you, thats terrible, but you can't mess round with your breathing. I think its likely to be airborne dust with the allergens in. Dust is a well known problem in all industries. Maybe a proper ventilating mask will help - I know it sounds extreme but not just a decorating one I mean a heavy duty filtered one. There might be something on health and safety executive website even advice for bakeries as flour dust can cause breathing problems or panel beaters, they also use acrylic and files on a larger scale when fixing up cars. Hope that helps xx
I've considered trying one out. The girls in the salon where I got my eyelashes done had really cool ones with a design on them which looked better. I've booked myself on the NSI efile course next week so the dust from that certainly isn't going to help!

Someone sent me a link to some once, they weren't cheap almost looked like a biker mask but they did have nice designs on. The link suggests the level of respiratory ppe required. I think hse are really missing an important industry here. Cos the chemicals are so similar to car workshop but they have amazing extraction booths etc and nails tech's if we are lucky have a little under table extraction which may or may not be effective! I found out that the chemicals were the same after an ex kept going to loo without washing his hands before and developed contact dermatitis in a tender area!!! I always wear gloves for l and p to keep exposure down xxx

Someone sent me a link to some once, they weren't cheap almost looked like a biker mask but they did have nice designs on. The link suggests the level of respiratory ppe required. I think hse are really missing an important industry here. Cos the chemicals are so similar to car workshop but they have amazing extraction booths etc and nails tech's if we are lucky have a little under table extraction which may or may not be effective! I found out that the chemicals were the same after an ex kept going to loo without washing his hands before and developed contact dermatitis in a tender area!!! I always wear gloves for l and p to keep exposure down xxx
That's awful but I did laugh!
I'm going to order gloves as I've also noticed my hands and arms are a bit itchy. There's nothing on them but I'm now worrying about it all. Which ones do you recommend?

It's an ex so it is funny haha!! I use nitrile ones they're less allergenic than latex and go on easier. Salon services have some in blue I just picked a pack up in there. They aren't too expensive xxx

...I'm going to order gloves as I've also noticed my hands and arms are a bit itchy. There's nothing on them but I'm now worrying about it all...

I don't want to alarm you but I started off with mild itching and didn't think too much of it. I used a barrier cream but it just steadily worsened. (Google liquid gloves for a range of lotions)

I don't want to alarm you but I started off with mild itching and didn't think too much of it. I used a barrier cream but it just steadily worsened. (Google liquid gloves for a range of lotions)
I've ordered some and also gloves so I'm hoping if it is an allergy I might catch it early enough. Thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated.

You're right to get the gloves. After 10 years of nails I developed a sensitivity to acetone and now wear gloves when using it or this happens and oh boy does it ever hurt
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1460907678.165025.jpg

I've tried the method of holding the wipe between my fingers but then it just flares up there instead.

I buy latex ones ATM and just dispose each time as the acetone does penetrate eventually x

Excuse crappy nails done with my bad hand lol

You're right to get the gloves. After 10 years of nails I developed a sensitivity to acetone and now wear gloves when using it or this happens and oh boy does it ever hurt View attachment 196277

I've tried the method of holding the wipe between my fingers but then it just flares up there instead.

I buy latex ones ATM and just dispose each time as the acetone does penetrate eventually x

Excuse crappy nails done with my bad hand lol
Omg that looks so sore! Is it only acetone that you have this with?

I don't have anything visible, I just notice my hands and arms are more itchy than normal

Latest posts

Back