Possible good opportunity! But don't know what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachey

Reaction score
Hi geeks.. Iv only recently started out... And being brutally honest I have hardly any clients at all... This I feel is down to two reasons.. One being I need to dedicate more time to advertising and secondly due to the fact that I am not really happy at letting clients come to my home... It is a very small flat.. And my family arnt very supportive in making it easy for me to arrange appointments when they are there.-I am not able to do mobile currently. I really do want to put my skills to use and do something which I enjoy and have now possibly been given the opportunity to rent a room 1-2 days a week. I would be providing facials ; spray tanning and manicures... The cost is within my range and I really want to go ahead with this opportunity... But I don't no of im getting ahead of myself... I feel I have the motivation and skill to make it work.. But wonder what everyone's opinion is on this situation considering I currently don't have many clients... Advice please geekies! :)

It's a tricky one because the pressure to get clients can be quite prominant but that's not to say that you shouldn't go for it.

Have you considered being employed? That way, home circumstances and a lack of clients would be less of an issue for you.

Either way, best of luck :)

Hi, I am a home therapist and have at times found it nightmarish with having client's coming in. Much easier when my husband is away and my DD at school. Working from home means there is no pressure to earn money to pay the rent, but the downside is that everyone thinks I am at home rather than working. I have been going 3.5 years now and it is still tough but I feel that I am getting there.

I have put a lot of time into advertising. I have got a website (these are not difficult to put together yourself) - people like websites - and advertising locally in a couple of magazines. But this does cost and it is catch 22 - you have to pay to advertise but if you don't, no one will know that you are there. Yell has worked well for me - about £120 pa - and Freeindex which is free has also worked well (both are internet based). Can you design some leaflets, get them copied somewhere and then do a leaflet drop? I know someone who stood at her local train station and targetted commuters. Get yourself a google account and put your company on their map page - this is excellent as everyone googles these days.

Biggest mistakes, any kind of charity offering advertising. Just put the phone down. They are scammers. I have an advert in my local PO which cost a fortune and I got nothing back. Going on a leaflet in a bridal shop - one enquiry in two years. And beware of the two year lock-them-in-and-rip-them-off contract. I have been caught twice with that.

You don't say where the room is. If in a hairdressers perhaps you could canvas their clients with a free hand massage and perhaps ask the receptionist to give their clients one of your leaflets as the client leaves.

Anyway, good luck. I hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks for your replies. I met with the lady offering the room and have got it! She has given me a discount For the First few months to help me out as she knows I'm just starting up :). I'm really excited but also kind of scared as have sooo much to organise now before I start in August! Any tips geeks?

Congratulations!

The best advice I can offer you starting up your own business is that whatever budget you think you need, in reality you will need to at least double it.

Bet you cant wait until August - at least you will get time for a leaflet drop to let all your potential local clients know where you will be.

Thanks for your response! I'm really excited ! :)

Ask the salon can you organise an open day, may bring them new clients to, invite all the salons existing clients. Take an advert in the local rag. Any organisations and business in the area send invites to. Refreshments and nibbles and lots of info on yourself and your treatments and incentives to book on the day. Good luck.

Great idea! Thankyou!!

Latest posts

Back