Possible to buff over gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarfield

Reaction score
I don't get a lot of time to do cuticle work at work, and sometimes when i paint on Shellac/Gelish, it can look bumpy and uneven near the cuticle. I heard it's possible to buff down any little imperfections, but i'm always too scared cos it'd ruin the polish?? I heard that once you apply the top coat it brings back the shine and the colour will look how it did before, but i'm always too scared to buff.

My workmate also recommended buffing down Rockstar glitter to give a smoother finish, and said the topcoat brings the shine back.

Anyone else buff during a gel application??

How can you not have time for cuticle work? So are you saying you don't do it at all? You should always do full prep for any application. You make time in your procedure.

But yes you can buff over with a block buffer.

LolliDolli💋

Last edited:
Surely you should make time to properly do the cuticle work?! Don't you get clients complaining if it looks bumpy?! X

Surely if you're not doing cuticle work your gel polish won't last...?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know how your gel polish is lasting the full time without proper prep?
You should be booking out enough time to give clients the correct service they are paying for.
x

Why put yourself in a position where you have to polish a poo? Do the cuticle work first :)

Eh, tell it to my boss, not me. If it was my choice it'd do a full soak and cuticle work.

Eh, tell it to my boss, not me. If it was my choice it'd do a full soak and cuticle work.

No soak required in a Gel polish manicure. (Not in any manicure really, but that is a whole other thread ;) )

For Shellac all that is required is PEP
Perform mini manicure..ie file and shape nail and remove non Living tissue(cuticle) best way is to use CND Cuticle away.
Eliminate surface contaminants ie dehydrate and cleanse nail with CND Scrubfresh
Purify nail plate layers......same as above really as using Scrubfresh does both.

I see from previous posts you are manicure trained, although your profile doesnt say you are a Nail Geek, but it is best to do the Shellac Training, any chance of talking your boss into sending you ?

This is in Tutorial section here.....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

You'll spend the same amount of time buffing the imperfections off when you could spend that extra time finishing off cuticles! I totally understand where your coming from, it's hard when your boss is the one stopping you from doing what you know is best :) maybe show her this thread? If she wouldn't get offended, at the end of the day it's bettering her salon by listening to you. I'd suggest to her that she lets you have longer time on prep to get a smoother result. Hope it helps x

Just out of interest how long does your salon give you to do a gel manicure? I find prep is the thing that takes the most length of time and if not done properly can't get that neat application - I have been going over a couple of years now and still can't get much under an hour but the. It doesn't really matter as I work for myself - feel for you ladies in salons under pressure! X

I use gelish and can do full procedure start to finish in the 30mins we book out. It takes even less time for toes sometimes! Only wag you have no time for cuticles is if you are given a 15 minute slot or something ridiculous like that.
Is your boss qualified? If not you need to educate her. If yes then she really needs to think about herself as a therapist/technician.
Just explain to her in a kind way it doesn't take much more to do a 10minute prep and you will have much better results :)

LolliDolli💋

I use gelish and can do full procedure start to finish in the 30mins we book out. It takes even less time for toes sometimes! Only wag you have no time for cuticles is if you are given a 15 minute slot or something ridiculous like that.
Is your boss qualified? If not you need to educate her. If yes then she really needs to think about herself as a therapist/technician.
Just explain to her in a kind way it doesn't take much more to do a 10minute prep and you will have much better results :)

LolliDolli💋

Wow well done you work quick.... Think I need to stop chatting!! X

Wow well done you work quick.... Think I need to stop chatting!! X

Haha I used to be terrible I'd put my brush down every time I spoke haha. But now I've learnt to talk to their hands and just look up occasionally :)

LolliDolli💋

Latest posts

Back