Possible trapped nerve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Hello

I had a regular client call me today explaining that he had pain in his shoulder and wants a back massage. He said he wont go to the doctor as its not that bad but he thinks it might be a trapped nerve - he doesnt have tingling or shooting pains though - I obviously said I wasnt a doctor and said I couldnt diagnose. What do you think I should do? My gut is to do the massage and just be cautious but I'm not certain - advice needed please!!!

Becki xxx

Personally I would do the massage and then after send him to an osteopath for treatment if you can't soothe it. The GP would probably only prescribe pain killers for the discomfort and tell them to wait until it got better. You may be able to help releave it with massage.

Personally I would do the massage and then after send him to an osteopath for treatment if you can't soothe it. The GP would probably only prescribe pain killers for the discomfort and tell them to wait until it got better. You may be able to help releave it with massage.

I would follow weezie's advice but I would advise him to go to the doc's anyway if you are uncomfortable just to cover yourself, as you say you are not a doc!

With my recent experience of my husband having a trapped nerve in his shoulder and him also having sciatica I would say that if his pain is not too bad then it probably isnt a trapped nerve.

I am not medical expert and dont know if all trapped nerve injuries are the same but I would do the massage and see how he feels during the treatment, as well as recommending he goes to see a doctor, physio or chiro too.

This is advise for your client more than you lol from someone who has recently (almost) gotten over a trapped nerve - GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW.

I honestly have to say that if I had listened to my chiro and gone to the doctor I wouldnt still have nerve damage in my left arm a year later.

Regarding the massage, personally I wouldnt do it, a trapped nerve can be made worse even by the gentlist massage. I was seeing the guy at the chiro for massage and as soon as nerve became trapped he couldnt see me. Only recently have I been able to go back to him for treatment.

Also, most people I have spoken to re trapped nerves say the same, the thought of someone touching it makes you want to curl up and die, the pain brings you to your knees and I know personally I was begging my hubby to cut my arm off on a daily basis (luckily he resisted the urge) the pain was so bad. Depending on how bad the pain is for this guy, he really should see GP first to rule out anything serious.

HTH

Rachel

He may of course have something else like a Frozen Shoulder or back complaint,best to avoid in my opinion and like others have said explain your position and end with a Im happy to see you when you have the problem cleared

Latest posts

Back