Posture (neck ache )

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
I know I have really bad posture when I am doing nails, or nail art etc...
I don't seem to be able to correct it though,

I wear glasses, now I have to remove them when doing close up work..even reading etc...
If I sit up straight and keep my glasses on, I just can't focus properly, It's like I am going cross eyed,
So I take them off, but then have to get quite close to the nail...(or item I am decorating with acrylic)

My neck is absolutely killing me..then I get slight headaches a lot. like the ones you get when you have too much sleep.

Now obviously as I am getting busier I am in this position a lot more...its sooo not good!

I have been rotating my head (not exorcist style btw)
To try and stretch my muscles and it clicks and grinds like mad...so I'm thinking that's not too much of a good idea,

I know prevention is better than cure,
So has anyone got any ideas, or experiences where they had the same and found a good balance ..

I thought one of those big magnifying lamps may be a good idea, but then thought again. as I'm not sure whether the bulbs give off heat in them,
or whether it will get in my way.

I'm getting really worried though that if I continue with bad posture, it will come to the point where I will do some damage, and may not be able to work ...
:eek: can you imagine nooooooo its too traumatising

Hi I suffer from a dodgy neck can wake up some mornings and its just gone, or I can move suddenly and its gone ! As sitting all day and sometimes night bent over it really is hard to hold yourself correctly I do try to make a conscious effort but after a while you do just roll them shoulders, can`t help it.
I have a mag light over my desk ( I too wear spec`s)which is great it`s not that bad for heat. I also go once every month for a back, neck & shoulder massage this helps immensely. Book yourself in, I find it really alleviates the tension and I am great till the next one.

It may be worth investing in one of the special orthopedic chairs (if that is what it's called!)

They don't have a back on them and are designed in this shape: <

They make your legs sit behind you asif you're kneeling. I'm just about to get one. Always a bit uncomfortable at first - but it's the long term effects you need to think about.

Sometimes it's small things like making sure the height of your desk is ok, that your arms are always at right angles when working etc. Not always possible I know but if you keep these things in mind they should help.

xx

Well when I did my ezflow conversion the other day..I was very comfortable..caroline had a lovely chair the desk was much wider than mine, But there was a comfort wedge (I think thats the name) for clients hand to rest on.
I did 3 nails and realised I still had my glasses on...

so that did make me think that mabey it could also be to do with my table and chair ect..

But I am so skint at the mo (obviously crimbo ect..)
So buying anything new, and unfortunatly massage etc..are out of the question..

But I might have a look around and price up some better things for me to use after christmas.
Might even give me a kick up the bum to pull in more clients lol

Buy Gas Lift Kneel Chair Black. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

This is the one from Argos £49.99 (hope the link works). Might be able to get another one cheaper from somewhere else.

Another good thing is one of those big balls they use in the gym!! You sit properly in one of those things otherwise you fall off!! They're becoming more and more popular in offices these days to correct posture.

xx

How strange that you have posted this today. My neck is murdering me today to the point that 10 mins ago i booked in with the chiro on monday as I am scared that it will revert to how it was last year and I wont be able to work.

This time is the right side of my neck with pains shooting all the time and a dull ache in right arm.

I guess I have spent too much time huddled over the table in here flowering things up this week and maybe I need to take the weekend off (i only said maybe lol) and see how it goes.

I use a kneeling chair upstairs and it has to be the best thing I ever bought. Took some getting used to and they do say to use them gradually, as switching from a normal chair and bad posture to a kneeling chair overnight can be quite painful.

Emms, for you, I would invest in a chair that can be lowered or raised. I am assuming you still have those pink chairs?? If you had wheels, you can move chair easily into position rather than having a chair that didnt move and then you move your body to the right position and put stress on your neck/back.

:hug:

Rachel xx

Yep hun I still have the pink ones,
I am on the wheely one but tbh its lost a wheel , so it tilts everytime I move, I swear I'm gunna go flat on my face soon,

After xmas I am hopefully binning the table I have now, and installing a breakfast bar type thing..so hopefully I think mabey my chair is too low for the table !!!

do you know what :eek: I am sure Its a higher or lower one (brucey lol )
Im gunna go check now x

Have you thought about having a word with your optician? He may be able to suggest a solution, maybe a pair of specs just for when you're doing nails? There are places you can get specs for a lot less than opticians charge, btw, so don't let the thought of the cost put you off!

First off I do not do nails for a living. I do sit in front of a computer all day. OOS is a major issue where I am. Here is a link you may want to read Preventing discomfort

Discomfort can be an &#8216;early warning&#8217; sign that something is not right within the body and, should the situation remain, injury could occur.

You should be able to find heaps more if you do a search.

You may have to do a lot more than just change your table and chair. Are you covered by workers compensation?

what brilliant replies.
i found that previously my nail table was too wide and that was causing me loads of problems. and i think you definately need a height adjustable chair so that you can be just right for the height of your table without having to stretch up or bend down all the time.
obviously client comfort is important, but our comfort is crucial as we are at the desk all day every day and not just for an hour and a half like the client.
hope you feel better soon.:hug:

It may be worth investing in one of the special orthopedic chairs (if that is what it's called!)

They don't have a back on them and are designed in this shape: <

They make your legs sit behind you asif you're kneeling. I'm just about to get one. Always a bit uncomfortable at first - but it's the long term effects you need to think about.

Sometimes it's small things like making sure the height of your desk is ok, that your arms are always at right angles when working etc. Not always possible I know but if you keep these things in mind they should help.

xx

This is what Kelly and Anne Swain use..... I loved it.

I intend on getting one.

Latest posts

Back