Potential claim, client fell off bed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucyb123

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has experienced any client injuries in the salon from something which wasn't your fault.
We have a hydraulic bed with the main support in the centre of the bed. A client tried to get onto the bed from the head rest end (where there is no support directly underneath), she fell backwards into the wall and is claiming injuries to her back, leg and arm.
She was getting ready for a facial treatment and the therapist entered the room immediately when she heard her shout out. The client explained that she tried to get on the couch from the end however when filling in an accident report form she changed her story claiming she got on the bed in the middle and when she swung her legs round the bed tipped.
The treatment couch is extremely heavy and we have never moved it since we had it delivered 5 years ago. The head rest has now been badly damaged and we will need to replace the couch as it looks like the support in the head rest has been snapped.
I am concerned that this client may try to claim for the injuries she now has... but who's fault is it? The bed was not faulty prior to the treatment and we have no idea how she has managed to tip the bed as it is so heavy.
Thanks in advance for any advice with this

Sorry to hear you've gone through this. Unfortunately, this is just why we have insurance. Did you report it to them? I would do that ASAP. If you've filled in your accident book and done everything correctly procedure wise, you just need to let your insurance know and should she reach out to you, pass her to your insurance company.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will report it first thing tomorrow as they are closed at weekends. We have completed the accident report book and our therapist has wrote a statement out as her story changed. Its just worrying to think someone might try to claim against us

People fall and have accidents every day.
Sometimes it’s because they’re not paying proper attention and misjudge something or maybe their blood pressure dropped as they bent over and lost their balance.
The fact is, accidents will happen.
Try not to think of it as someone making a mistake, being at fault or claiming against you personally.
You’ve done nothing wrong.

In this case, the client fell whilst climbing onto the couch and suffered some discomfort and is now claiming from your insurance company. The insurance company will investigate and ask for your version of events but ultimately, if the client has hurt themselves whilst in your salon, they’re entitled to request compensation. How much they’re offered depends on their negotiations with the insurance company.
You won’t be involved in that.

Just wondering if any one has experienced any client injuries in the salon from something which wasn't your fault.
We have a hydraulic bed with the main support in the centre of the bed. A client tried to get onto the bed from the head rest end (where there is no support directly underneath), she fell backwards into the wall and is claiming injuries to her back, leg and arm.
She was getting ready for a facial treatment and the therapist entered the room immediately when she heard her shout out. The client explained that she tried to get on the couch from the end however when filling in an accident report form she changed her story claiming she got on the bed in the middle and when she swung her legs round the bed tipped.
The treatment couch is extremely heavy and we have never moved it since we had it delivered 5 years ago. The head rest has now been badly damaged and we will need to replace the couch as it looks like the support in the head rest has been snapped.
I am concerned that this client may try to claim for the injuries she now has... but who's fault is it? The bed was not faulty prior to the treatment and we have no idea how she has managed to tip the bed as it is so heavy.
Thanks in advance for any advice with this

The most important thing is that she’s ok. The most hurt thing is probably her ego right now.

One of my ladies broke my portable one once. I watched helplessly as she bounded off like it was a pommel horse and she is tiny so weight doesn’t come into it, only the force exerted when jumping.

Some people are also stupid, my own mother tried to get on it, ignoring the step, jumping with arms and legs akimbo into the middle and I’m amazed she didn’t break it. Since that I explain how to get onto the couch as I worry about it happening again. Often I do my Champneys towel routine so I put them on the couch (face this turn there sit turn lay down). So you can learn from it and have yourself covered for the future now which is good in itself.

As for the liability get in touch with your insurer immediately and explain your worry. They can write down everything you say so it will look good if you’ve been worried about her wellbeing and are informing them before she does.

Don’t mention suing, liability or anything unless she asks for your info. Then and only then give her your insurers address (as they don’t tend to take calls they want it in writing), and explain that as you are now taking that step you can no longer talk with her so she has to be sure and ask again if it can be worked out amicably. It probably won’t happen but it’s best to be prepared.

For now, just checking in on her and asking how’s her health, if she’s been to a doctor if she says it’s really bad, make notes of all contact. Ask her if she would like some massages to help with the discomfort (likely pulled muscles and bruises as if you are in severe pain you’d go to a & e). It looks really caring and kind and she could definitely do with them. Maybe like a free course of 3 or 6 depending on how you feel is appropriate. I mean did she get up and carry on with her day or was she visibly distressed and in pain.

As of the different answers she gave it sounds a bit weird to me but don’t think it’s intentional trying to sue you for damages, as when I was a witness for the police their tactics can make you second guess yourself and you do give completely different answers sometimes. Almost like a suspect intensity so by the end I really couldn’t even remember if I saw what I said I saw. So when someone is under pressure with fast questions it can happen and still be honest because they think it’s the truth. She’s more likely to hurt herself if she was in the middle but she could still have rolled off the head end. Weirder things have happened.

Hope you are feeling ok. It will be fine, you’ve just got to get through this tough bit.

Latest posts

Back