Potential clients mis-understanding of "Trainee"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeka3pn

Reaction score
Hiya,

Having read previous threads could any experienced nail tech/salon owner please confirm that anybody who does not have 2 years experience is classed as a "Trainee"?
I have been given the opportunity of a table in a local salon, (& will be eternally grateful), and as I do not have 2 years experience am referred to as a "Trainee".
I understand totally why but I am finding it very frustrating when clients constantly ask when I will be completing my training, I patiently explain the situation but I am also wondering if I am losing potential clients as well, especially with the feedback I am receiving, (which is all good but as one lady said she assumed I was still training).
Unfortunately I do not take the bookings so I am not there to explain that I have qualified but that I do not have as much experience.
Would it be unfair to ask the receptionists to maybe explain when people come in to book?
It's on a self-employed basis and I am desperately trying to build a client base, although I am also only being allowed to do basic sets of french, (pure white and pink), is this also the norm?
Any Advice gratefully received

Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I never referred to my inexperienced staff as trainees. I think it is demeaning and undermines your position in the salon.

Neither is there any rule that says anyone is a trainee for 2 years!! :rolleyes:

I would simply ask the receptionist and others to explain that you do very nice work but are still new to the job and require lots of clients to gain more experience. They should explain that your current clients are happy with your nails and they are sure that they will be too.

You should do the receptionists nails and any others in the salon (and keep them looking tip top) so they can show any interested parties your work .. doing this will also give you needed feedback at this stage on your nails as well and it will give the staff the confidence to recommend you.

I have always thought that a trainee is someone that is currently undergoing training and is not yet qualified.

If you are self-employed, shouldn't it be upto you which nails you decide to do? Maybe you could do some other types of nails on yourself or friends and could show the salon owner to prove to her that they also look good.

Good luck xx

Thank you for your replies and advice.
I will mention it again to the salon owner and receptionist although last time the response was "you don't have two years experience therefore you are a trainee".

Regarding the different nails, I don't wear french but other colours and the owner is aware I do use other colours and can custom colour blend :|

I can but try

Ali xxxxxxx

If you are not firm now then they will not respect you.

The 2 year thing may be relevant in the hair industry, but NOT in the nail industry.

I opened my first nails only salon in 3 months after training and have spent the last 25 years learning ... so you could say I'm still a trainee.

I shall always be learning but that's what I love about nails,:lol::lol:

Many thanks

Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hadn't heard about the 2 year trainee one, but I had been told by a friend that her nail tech told her I wouldn't be able to call myself a "qualified" nail technician until I've done 100 sets of nails! I thought I would be "qualified" when I've passed my college training and have a certificate? I fully understand that qualified doesn't mean experienced!

I have always thought that a trainee is someone that is currently undergoing training and is not yet qualified.

If you are self-employed, shouldn't it be upto you which nails you decide to do? Maybe you could do some other types of nails on yourself or friends and could show the salon owner to prove to her that they also look good.

Good luck xx

you are def not a trainee. a trainee is someone who is still training. if you've qualified then your qualified. god some people annoy me. i also work in a rent-a-room situation and i have noticed hairdressers think so different to the beauty industry.

as flawlessbeauty has said that you could do other nails and let the salon owner see your work - i dont agree with that, you dont have to prove yourself to people like that just because they think your a trainee. i dont mean to be rude to flawlessbeauty its just its not the salon owner you need to prove yourself to its your clients.

even take pictures of your work and have them to hand so you can show your clients. even have a poster up on the wall saying your qualified so clients can see it straight away or even better put your certificates up.

i hope you understand where im coming from

xxxxx

Hi Sorella,

I can see exactly where you are coming from, unfortunately re the certificates, they do not have any certificates on display anywhere!
If they did I could put about 11 up! lol

Ali xxxxxx

i was refered to as 'recently qualified' when i was just out of training.
'perhaps you could suggest this as a suitable title.

you are def not a trainee. a trainee is someone who is still training. if you've qualified then your qualified. god some people annoy me. i also work in a rent-a-room situation and i have noticed hairdressers think so different to the beauty industry.

as flawlessbeauty has said that you could do other nails and let the salon owner see your work - i dont agree with that, you dont have to prove yourself to people like that just because they think your a trainee. i dont mean to be rude to flawlessbeauty its just its not the salon owner you need to prove yourself to its your clients.

even take pictures of your work and have them to hand so you can show your clients. even have a poster up on the wall saying your qualified so clients can see it straight away or even better put your certificates up.

i hope you understand where im coming from

xxxxx

Technically she IS still a trainee as she IS still in training .. unless of course she feels she has done it all after a course and that is all there is to know. :rolleyes: One can be a qualified trainee. But I don't like the term myself as others don't understand it and their perception is different.

I also think if she is working in a salon then she does have to prove herself to her colleagues as well as her clients if she wants them to have confidence in her work and if they are going to work together and cross promote each others' services .. that is what team work is all about! I certainly wouldn't go to or recommend a newly qualified hairdresser if I hadn't seen her/his work. I'd want convincing.

To your last point, pictures though nice are not seeing a technician's work in the flesh. MUCH more powerful marketing to have the girls in the salon who use daily the nails you make them, raving about how long they last and how well they are done.

I'm not meaning to be rude to you either, but I don't agree with the attitude or the remarks you display in your post, WHICH IS VERY SHORT SIGHTED in my opinion. OF COURSE SHE NEEDS TO HAVE THE BACKING OF HER COLLEAGUES AS THEY NEED HERS.

Isn't it better all round to be working together rather than showing a bolshy/I don't have to prove anything to you attitude???

geeg, whatever, i gave my advice just like you gave yours, all i said was i didn't agree with one of your comments and you gave me abuse on mine.

ive seen loads of comments on this place and no one has gave anyone else abuse about their opinions. i dont have time for your childish comments.

ali i hope you get things sorted, pm me if you want because ill only get abuse if i leave anymore of my opinions.

good luck
xxxxxxx

Another who can't take it and calls it abuse if they are disagreed with. Oh dear oh dear.

At least I have more respect and good manners than to name call .. now that is rude. But then all will see that whereas my comments made good sense and are good advice.

I wonder who has come across as being more childish in these posts? which of course should be private messages.

Sorry mayby I should shut up....but hey that wouldn't be me :green:
I didn't see anything rude in Geegs post I agree with what she's said and I certainly couldn't have said it beter myself.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back