Potential insurance issues re: patch tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyJess

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share my experience as I don't think this is common knowledge.

With all the hype about covid affecting colours I phoned my insurance company and colour house to get their spin on things. So turns out my insurance company (HJI) have an interesting phrase on their patch test policy "At least 24 hours before hand OR MANUFACTURER'S GUIDELINES." And did you know that matrix and goldwell's guidelines both say 'patch tests should be carried out 48 hours before every application.' No more, no less, before every time. So basically, according to my insurance company (I spoke to an advisor) (salon gold also have the same wording) if I was to patch test 24 hours or 3 days or more before the appointment etc I would NOT be covered by my insurance for that colour appointment.

It goes without saying I was a little surprised and a bit put out, especially for my further afield clients. The whole time during college training and my jobs at salons it was always "at least 48 hours," so quite often the appointment a few weeks before or a few days before, and certainly not for every single colour appointment. But there we go, rules are rules, but I thought I'd put it out there and if anyone has an insurance company who doesn't specify 'manufacturer's guidlines' regarding their patch tests please let me know 🙋

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share my experience as I don't think this is common knowledge.

With all the hype about covid affecting colours I phoned my insurance company and colour house to get their spin on things. So turns out my insurance company (HJI) have an interesting phrase on their patch test policy "At least 24 hours before hand OR MANUFACTURER'S GUIDELINES." And did you know that matrix and goldwell's guidelines both say 'patch tests should be carried out 48 hours before every application.' No more, no less, before every time. So basically, according to my insurance company (I spoke to an advisor) (salon gold also have the same wording) if I was to patch test 24 hours or 3 days or more before the appointment etc I would NOT be covered by my insurance for that colour appointment.

It goes without saying I was a little surprised and a bit put out, especially for my further afield clients. The whole time during college training and my jobs at salons it was always "at least 48 hours," so quite often the appointment a few weeks before or a few days before, and certainly not for every single colour appointment. But there we go, rules are rules, but I thought I'd put it out there and if anyone has an insurance company who doesn't specify 'manufacturer's guidlines' regarding their patch tests please let me know 🙋
Apparently though you can put together your own protocol and put it to your insurance company. If your insurance company accepts it then there's no issue. The guidelines changed around this when we went back to work after lockdown.

😃😃😃 Wow, thank you this is why I love this forum! I will definitely look into that, will make my life a LOT easier 🙆

I've attached some helpful links. This is where the chnage come in and how you can hopefully make it work for you

This may also be helpful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-165245.png
    Screenshot_20210724-165245.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back