Pound Shops for Hair & Beauty !!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathie

Reaction score
Undercutting seems to be a major bugbear for a lot of geeks so I thought I would share my opinion and suggestions on the matter with you. I am not trying to 'preach to the converted' but hopefully give 'food for thought' to some.

I have read lots of posts about the perils of Groupon and the like, as well as reports of ridiculously low prices for treatments. Are we heading towards Pound Shops for Hair and Beauty somewhere down the line?

I believe many people lack the confidence and experience needed to truly understand the value of their products and services and consequently underprice as a result. Another group are those that are controlled by their feelings of desperation (ruthless to say, but get a new mind set or get an employer) or greed (cutting your nose off to spite your face).

Either way, by not getting pricing right it has a detrimental affect on the industry, it keeps the average wage low and gives the public the impression that a service can always be found cheaper elsewhere (if 'cheap' is what they're looking for) so in turn they do not value you as a professional with expertise in your field. In order for the public to place value on the industry you must first place value in yourself.

Why are lawyers so expensive? because they value the time, cost and effort put in to learning their subject and gaining the expertise and knowledge to be a professional in their field. You do not see them trying to undercut each other, they rely on their reputation and experience. So why don't some of you feel the same value for yourselves? I am not saying the cost and time is the same but you too have made an investment.

The temptation to look at what everyone else is charging and figure, 'that's what I'll charge too! is a big mistake, and charging much less than others is an even bigger one! it is important not to fall victim to a pricing war.

So now that you're in the right money mindset for pricing your products and services, here are few key things that you need to look at.

1. Set your price based on the value of your time and expertise. Do you really believe you are only worth the hourly minimum wage or less, after the amount of studying and practice you have done and the cost to you? If you don't set your prices in a manner that adequately compensates you for your time and effort, you are going to become a slave to your business. Make sure the price of your products and services are worth whatever you put into them.

2. Make sure the cost of product in delivering the service is built into your price so that your margin makes you profitable. This means including absolutely everything, down to kitchen roll!

3. Add the cost of your overheads, expenses, and investments.

4. Continue to invest in yourself, I'm not just talking about the latest new treatment, I mean in you as a business. Take time to research, read up on marketing, business development, do some short courses etc. You need to be in a position to avoid pitfalls and take advantage of opportunities.

5. Make sure that you're providing a bit more value than you're charging for. This could be, excellent customer service, advice, knowledge, an occasional free sample etc.

6. Identify your target market and go after them. You need to make sure that your ideal customer and what you're offering are a match. Its no use trying to reach low-income students with high end products and services, you need to ensure that your business model and price list will match what they can pay.

7. Look at what your competitors charge. Do this so that you can see what type of value they are offering for what they charge. This will help you articulate why your service is better or different from theirs. Do not do this as a means of setting your own pricing!

8. If you are worried that people will want refunds or not feel happy about your service, maybe you're not providing as much value as you should. If you do your work with excellence, and can meet your client's expectations you should have nothing to worry about. Confidence and character go a long way in being able to charge what you'e truly worth.

Just my thoughts.

Kathie x

Last edited:
Why are lawyers so expensive? Because they spend about £20K for each year +5 years studying very difficult subject like law while most therapysts finish 6 -8 months courses and still very unprofessional. Working as a beauty therapist you should know how much is everything costs. Guinot facial is about £7-9 others costs are rent,wage etc.

I think this is a really good thread, with some excellent points.
It's easy, especially when trying to build a cliet base, to become involved in a price war.
You're right though, all of the undercutting is hurting the industry as a whole and totally devaluing our worth...

hmm id like to give some food for thought, i dont think undercutting is a major issue, you need to do you own thing and forget about other peoples price wars. But many factors play a place in this industry.

It's always inexperienced therapists that lack confidence that feel they need to justify their prices-im learning etc...is this devaluing the industry? I dont think it is. Its a learning curve. We may not all have started with high prices but gave an average mean of what we're worth, and increased from there. (imho i think offers should be that offers and not all the time)

In fact i think its the bleeding supermarkets that offer things like tinting kits, acrylic sets, nail stick ons and the dreaded box dyes. Now we know this is not "professional products that professionals use" but doesnt stop the clientelle from using these means, messing it up then expecting a "real therapist/hd" to complete the job. Ive come across ppl that state they are qualified hd/bt when they are not, they're just yeh ol cowgals n guys. Its THESE ppl that are messing up the industry...not the genuine pros.

Other countries have regulations and standards that you can adhere to, including caps on pricing, to product control. We dont have this, even PHAB is relatively new to air you concerns on. xoxo

Fantastic and well put. I was trying to make some similar points in a thread I commented on earlier about undercutting - only yours is much better put ! Excellent post Kathie :hug:. It is such a huge shame for other professionals and the industry that for too many the mentality seems to be that they need to go in cheaper than other salons/therapists etc in order to get clients. It does set unrealistic expectations and can't be good for the industry, and then when you enter into a pricing war in an area it drives prices down. Thank god not everyone is motivated purely on price but it is still worrying. I seethe everytime I spot a Groupon offer pop on FB for a £12 Shellac Manicure :evil: - whats wrong with trying to raise the bar, raise standards and expectations for your profession and industry and focus on providing great services for realistic prices - instead of resorting to lowering them ?:grr:

Well said ladies- I have recently experienced this in my area. All I can say is the therapists must be desperate for business.

I am so pleased to read this thread, a subject that has been bugging me for a while now!

A while back I had the lucky escape of not starting in a salon (where I was about to start) - the people there told me that my price list was too expensive and I should lower them to £20 per set of acrylics, £15 for Minx etc etc... let me tell you I was out of there faster than a mouse.

I feel bad for any one else about to start there as not everyone is going to know these facts posted in this thread.

I think about the future of these type of techs, the under cutters, the cheap services, the sometimes fake services... and I think about in ooh lets say 3, 4 or maybe 5 years time, will they still be about? I do not think so.

CND's new standard of education could also have a large effect on things in future, i am not a CND tech but I can see it is a fast growing brand that will soon be even more recognised by the general public, clients who WANT a fabulous nail service with no rubbish in it, clients who WANT to pay for techs who know precisely what they are doing. Also, branding works!

Then there are the costs of education, you need to make this back, charging £15 for a set of nails isnt so attractive now is it? :D Techs also need to fund their own lives, restock, pay tax AND keep money by for further education, it is on going.. £15 a set? Forget it :D

xxx

An excellent post, Kathie.

It's always inexperienced therapists that lack confidence that feel they need to justify their prices

This worries me. Confidence does come with time as does inexperience, however, a newly qualified therapist should surely still leave college with the ability to provide a professional treatment. If they are not, then it is their training failing them. If they do not have the experience or knowledge to provide a professional treatment then surely they shouldn't be charging or if practising charging a rate that would cover their costs.
After completing my course and passing exams I had to do 50 case histories before I was qualified. As I had no overheads I did them for free (although I can understand a nominal amount to cover product if used).

We started out charging £12 as a special opening offer for Shellac (without removal). We now charge £15 but today I had a lady who I just charged £12 to as I just was scared what I had done was not worth even £15. There was nothing wrong with it, and the lady was really pleased. I think its down to me and for some reason I am totally lacking in confidence when I do nails.

I also do Thai Foot Massage and callus peel and have no problems whatsoever in charging the correct amount. I have had way more nail clients but my confidence is just not there.

I use all the correct CND shellac items - do it by the book. And have attended a Shellac class plus done a 3 hour 1-2-1 shellac training. My lack of confidence reflects the price I charge I am thinking.

I just wondered if other people who do not charge very much feel this way?

I am going to learn some other treatments in the next few weeks - I have waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tinting and shaping and lash lift courses. Will see how I get on with them. I so hope I can do them confidently. Obviously not on the public straight away - lots of practicing first....

xx

What a great post. I agree with all these points made.

Why are lawyers so expensive? Because they spend about £20K for each year +5 years studying very difficult subject like law while most therapysts finish 6 -8 months courses and still very unprofessional. Working as a beauty therapist you should know how much is everything costs. Guinot facial is about £7-9 others costs are rent,wage etc.

If you as a therapist dont value your profession then that speaks volumes to me.

Lawyers have everyone by the short and curlies and dont they just know it.

I believe feel that you choose your target market, if you want to go for the people who will want bargain basement treatments then good luck, you may need it.

Last edited:
Wish I had read this thread 2months ago, great thread thanks for taking your time to post it

Undercutting seems to be a major bugbear for a lot of geeks so I thought I would share my opinion and suggestions on the matter with you. I am not trying to 'preach to the converted' but hopefully give 'food for thought' to some.

I have read lots of posts about the perils of Groupon and the like, as well as reports of ridiculously low prices for treatments. Are we heading towards Pound Shops for Hair and Beauty somewhere down the line?

I believe many people lack the confidence and experience needed to truly understand the value of their products and services and consequently underprice as a result. Another group are those that are controlled by their feelings of desperation (ruthless to say, but get a new mind set or get an employer) or greed (cutting your nose off to spite your face).

Either way, by not getting pricing right it has a detrimental affect on the industry, it keeps the average wage low and gives the public the impression that a service can always be found cheaper elsewhere (if 'cheap' is what they're looking for) so in turn they do not value you as a professional with expertise in your field. In order for the public to place value on the industry you must first place value in yourself.

Why are lawyers so expensive? because they value the time, cost and effort put in to learning their subject and gaining the expertise and knowledge to be a professional in their field. You do not see them trying to undercut each other, they rely on their reputation and experience. So why don't some of you feel the same value for yourselves? I am not saying the cost and time is the same but you too have made an investment.

The temptation to look at what everyone else is charging and figure, 'that's what I'll charge too! is a big mistake, and charging much less than others is an even bigger one! it is important not to fall victim to a pricing war.

So now that you're in the right money mindset for pricing your products and services, here are few key things that you need to look at.

1. Set your price based on the value of your time and expertise. Do you really believe you are only worth the hourly minimum wage or less, after the amount of studying and practice you have done and the cost to you? If you don't set your prices in a manner that adequately compensates you for your time and effort, you are going to become a slave to your business. Make sure the price of your products and services are worth whatever you put into them.

2. Make sure the cost of product in delivering the service is built into your price so that your margin makes you profitable. This means including absolutely everything, down to kitchen roll!

3. Add the cost of your overheads, expenses, and investments.

4. Continue to invest in yourself, I'm not just talking about the latest new treatment, I mean in you as a business. Take time to research, read up on marketing, business development, do some short courses etc. You need to be in a position to avoid pitfalls and take advantage of opportunities.

5. Make sure that you're providing a bit more value than you're charging for. This could be, excellent customer service, advice, knowledge, an occasional free sample etc.

6. Identify your target market and go after them. You need to make sure that your ideal customer and what you're offering are a match. Its no use trying to reach low-income students with high end products and services, you need to ensure that your business model and price list will match what they can pay.

7. Look at what your competitors charge. Do this so that you can see what type of value they are offering for what they charge. This will help you articulate why your service is better or different from theirs. Do not do this as a means of setting your own pricing!

8. If you are worried that people will want refunds or not feel happy about your service, maybe you're not providing as much value as you should. If you do your work with excellence, and can meet your client's expectations you should have nothing to worry about. Confidence and character go a long way in being able to charge what you'e truly worth.

Just my thoughts.

Kathie x

I totally agree, I detest clients who think that you should reduce your prices because so and so charges less, I tell my clients that I spent 6 years doing college courses plus other training I only use high end products and equipment, plus I'm insured, I wonder how many NSS salons are? The same salons who are now offering eyebrow and lash treatments with no patch testing! We should all stand together on this x

I agree! We are qualified and skilled in what we do! We need to stick together! It is a tough time trying to keep clients we all know that! I don't lower my prices often I try with treatment packages and loyalty card!

Thanks for all the nice comments, it's great to hear we are on the same page!

Kathie x

We started out charging £12 as a special opening offer for Shellac (without removal). We now charge £15 but today I had a lady who I just charged £12 to as I just was scared what I had done was not worth even £15. There was nothing wrong with it, and the lady was really pleased. I think its down to me and for some reason I am totally lacking in confidence when I do nails.

I also do Thai Foot Massage and callus peel and have no problems whatsoever in charging the correct amount. I have had way more nail clients but my confidence is just not there.

I use all the correct CND shellac items - do it by the book. And have attended a Shellac class plus done a 3 hour 1-2-1 shellac training. My lack of confidence reflects the price I charge I am thinking.

I just wondered if other people who do not charge very much feel this way?

I am going to learn some other treatments in the next few weeks - I have waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tinting and shaping and lash lift courses. Will see how I get on with them. I so hope I can do them confidently. Obviously not on the public straight away - lots of practicing first....

xx

Hi Sophiegees

I just wanted to send you a big hug and say that it's time to start taking the feedback from your nail clients at face value.

If we are too modest or distrusting to believe a compliment, we run the risk of downplaying our client's opinion and not valuing their judgement. It also causes us to overlook the skills we're good at.

So next time, give a big smile and say 'thank you, I'm really pleased too' then later go and tell a colleague 'I did an excellent job on that Shellac client'. Give yourself a 'pass' on your 'self imposed probation period' and adjust your prices accordingly.

Kathie x

Bloody brilliant thread Kathie, well done

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Thank you for your kindness Kathie. Will try as you say. Got to get my head sorted I think.....

Thank you so much for your support

xx

Great thread, got me thinking, lol x.

Latest posts

Back