POW didnt go very well!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marian

Reaction score
I had a client last night who wanted pink and white gels so set to work prepping, tipping priming and bonding and put warm coverage pink over whole nail. All was going smoothly until it came to my pow application. Oh dear god what a mess! I just couldnt get it to go where I wanted it and it deffinately did not want to smile:irked: (neither did I as I desperately tried to string it along the smile.

The finished result was a lumpy thick non smiling tip of the nail and I was mortified. The client "seemed" happy with the end result but I certainly was not.

Im thinking of filing the white off when she comes back next week for a check telling her I wasn't happy with the "smiles" but what if I do the same thing again:eek:?

God I wish I had used white tips now if anyone sees these nails they're not going to come to me :irked:!

Any advice appreciated.

I find it help to get a neater smile with pow if you dont use the brush in the bottle :) Try a fine nail art brush and it will go on much neater.

I find it help to get a neater smile with pow if you dont use the brush in the bottle :) Try a fine nail art brush and it will go on much neater.

Do you know I was wondering about this last night as I lay in bed going over my application! A finer brush would help me create a better curve but would the brissells (dont know if spelling correct) not cause shadowing?

Do you know I was wondering about this last night as I lay in bed going over my application! A finer brush would help me create a better curve but would the brissells (dont know if spelling correct) not cause shadowing?

Nope, I use the brush to do the smile and then get a clean brush with a little scrubfresh on and sweep back to neaten the smile :)

Right im gonna give this a try on a tip and see how it goes!

Right im gonna give this a try on a tip and see how it goes!

Sure you will see a big difference good luck :hug:

i use a dotting tool to do my pow and have never looked back!!
its as easy as colouring in!!!

Do you always apply pow at the end after builder and before topgloss? I tried a dotting tool but I must be using too much gel as it is very lumpy and uneven and would really need filed before top gloss!

You know - I have heard this method before but just cant imagine how it works. I am just going too have to have a play at this one tomorrow.

i take my dotting tool, and pull the brush out the bottle, then grap a gloop of pow with the end of the dotting tool,

the amount i judge for how big an area i need to cover,

then i use it like a pen ,
i just draw the smile line with it, first i start right in the centre of the smile, and then draw up one side and then the other,
then i just colour in, if i have gaps i add more pow, if i have too much i scoop it off,

i have never found anything as easy,
just make sure tyour hand is balanced and not waving around, you never need to backswipe, unless your client moves suddenly
hth xx

Ive wondered how this was done. After hearing people say they use a dotting tool to apply pow, my mind boggled at first! Thankyou for this :hug:

i must admit, i thought that ppl used very tiny dots to do their smile line, when i first heard about this lmao!!!

i take my dotting tool, and pull the brush out the bottle, then grap a gloop of pow with the end of the dotting tool,

the amount i judge for how big an area i need to cover,

then i use it like a pen ,
i just draw the smile line with it, first i start right in the centre of the smile, and then draw up one side and then the other,
then i just colour in, if i have gaps i add more pow, if i have too much i scoop it off,

i have never found anything as easy,
just make sure tyour hand is balanced and not waving around, you never need to backswipe, unless your client moves suddenly
hth xx

could thid be done with any white gel? I ask because i have yet to do a brisa conversion.. but atm i am using IBD and wonder if i could use this method with their white.. as i am having a wee bit of trouble!:green:

I have video tutorials on my website showing in detail the way I use POW. I use it all day every day, with excellent results. www.gelessentialz.com

could thid be done with any white gel? I ask because i have yet to do a brisa conversion.. but atm i am using IBD and wonder if i could use this method with their white.. as i am having a wee bit of trouble!:green:

Give it a go. I use a dotting tool for all my white application (except new set of sculpts).

I always use a coat of clear over POW....then buff to final shape prior to topgloss...this protects the white and also stops that lip you can get when applying gloss straight after POW.

Are you freeze curing for 10 seconds after each nail? If you do this, the gel won't run while you work on the others . . . just a thought x

I've never been able to get pow just right. Tried 3 different brands too, and a few different techniques. I always found the nails looked too thick.

Instead, I use polish and apply my french that way, let it dry completely and uv gloss over that. I find it MUCH easier and it never bulks up the nail or 'pools' at the end of the free edge like POW can do when you havent' mastered it.

Sorry I can't help with the POW application.. but maybe you could use my method until you've mastered the POW (practicing on yourself?)

hth's

Thank you everyone for all your kind suggestions:hug:. I am going to give it another go (havent had time with my other job) to practice but I am now armed with some very good advice!

Oh forgot to say I didnt know you could paint with polish and cover with uv gel? I thought the gel needed a dispersion layer or buffed nail to adhere to, but it must obviously work!

Latest posts

Back