Powder gel vs hard gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelygirl

Reaction score
Hello everybody :wink2: so...I have read the older posts about techs 'cheating' customers into thinking they are having gel when they are having acrylic and i must say the whole powder gel thing is confusing the hell outta me lols!!!! To me, gel is gel and its runny like gel lol. I am finding that hardly anyone is using it and customers have no idea whats involved with applying it and complain about how long it takes. i feel like it looks sooo much better but am thinking i might just go powder gel if thats what everyone seems to be used of seeing. What do you think of the powder gel?? im looking at the lechat gelee. How long does it usually take to apply a full set over tips? Thanks a million xoxoxo

I had to google le chat gelee powder gel . . . . been in the industry 9 years and never heard of it. :eek:

What's wrong with doing liquid and powder properly? So strong and versatile and no messing about sprinkling powder on top of gel (wtf?) . . . sounds like a compromise here.

I don't know what products you are used to using but certainly with my gels and acrylics, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between a finished set when I've done them . . . it's just that the application is different. I offer both for customer choice but I prefer l&p by a mile.

Just checked on your profile . . . I see you've been doing nails since 2004 . . . so have you run your business purely on gel up until now? Maybe the powder gel appeals to you if you only offer gel so far . . . because you can do the same as you're used to just add powder on top of that? I can see your reasoning if so BUT I think it would be far more advantageous to simply learn the l&p, you won't look back.

(Sorry if you do l&p already. If this is the case I don't really get why you'd be looking at powder gel anyway) x

powder gel?
sprinkling powder on gel? is that now a version of tip and dip?

i nooooo!!!! it sounds silly but from what im hearing, that is what people have been getting when asking for gel! I did learn l&p at school, but i am alot more confident in doing gel, and also my store is a mixed business with a hippy retail store at front and reiki & massage out back as well. We really dont want the smell of l&p in such a small area that is dual purpose. i am just getting frustrated by customers being mis informed about what they are actually getting! as i have said before,i did do my training 2004,and have only been dabbling for past few years up til now to keep my technique up. maybe i am wrong but when i learnt, gel was gel and acrylic was acrylic!!!:rolleyes:

p.s i just meant that i like the clear look of the gel!

The differences between systems is a little blurred now for sure with different companies mixing other things in with their systems ... Anything to be different (not necessarily better).

You can't even say GEL anymore as there are hard gels, soft gels, gel polishes etc.

Many of the The South East Asian salons offer 'powder gel' which to them means l&P with a gel top coat. To others powder gel means mixing powder into your gel.
With tip n dip you are adding adhesive resin into the powder.
Some put fibreglass into their gel! Some call gel 'crystal gel'.
Some use a thick adhesive which is sort of a gelly consistency, spray it with activator and they call THAT gel! Techs are confused never mind clients!

It certainly muddies the waters and confuses everyone .. All in the name of trying to be 'different' to that which others are offering. I don't actually think that any of the systems with things added to them have the clarity or beauty or the lasting ability of a Pure system .. IMHO.

Last edited:
I have had this alot with my NSS client conversions.. they ask for gel they get UV gel .. they get confused and tell me i am doign it all wrong and its should be a powder then stuff in a bottle then under the lamp.. it is a common practice i think with NSS bars.. (the ones that get you in chop and send you out again in 20 mins).. they buy in bulk and charge for the same thing tbh..

I have now got UV gel, Soak off UV Gel polish and now a resin activated service so have simplified it all.. i simply tell them they have had a L&p application with a gel top coat .. around here that is what is serviced in our local NSS bars..

but its all about educating your clients in the simplest terms possible of what the products is and what it can do and also what the client would be best to have etc.. they are usually more clued up into coming back..

Am sure that there is a product called Acrygel..but not sure which company does that one..

Sarah x

I have had this alot with my NSS client conversions.. they ask for gel they get UV gel .. they get confused and tell me i am doign it all wrong and its should be a powder then stuff in a bottle then under the lamp.. it is a common practice i think with NSS bars.. (the ones that get you in chop and send you out again in 20 mins).. they buy in bulk and charge for the same thing tbh..

I have now got UV gel, Soak off UV Gel polish and now a resin activated service so have simplified it all.. i simply tell them they have had a L&p application with a gel top coat .. around here that is what is serviced in our local NSS bars..

but its all about educating your clients in the simplest terms possible of what the products is and what it can do and also what the client would be best to have etc.. they are usually more clued up into coming back..

Am sure that there is a product called Acrygel..but not sure which company does that one..

Sarah x

A salon opened near me a couple of years ago offering Acrygel. They shut down in 6 months.

Thanx for the replies ladies xxx :hug: It makes me feel better to know i'm not the only one!

Latest posts

Back