Ppd free colour range

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siobrennan

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a potential client who knows she has a ppd allergy however still wants her hair coloured. (she has home hair colour on just now that looks around a 6.3ish)
I usually use rusk deep shine however as far as I'm aware they do not do a ppd free range. The client is approx 50% white hair more so on thr hair line.
Can anyone recommend a range we could try a test with that I can get from local wholesalers (we have sallys close by and capital about 35 miles away)
Thankyou x

Ive searched hi n low for ppd free and if it says it is, its replaced with another chemical which also causes allergy, ive a few clients who have reacted to skin tests, best bet to keep off scalp, most insurances say once a reaction to a skin test, never touch them with colour again, i usually use a skull cap on them and theyre happy with that. My rep said colours are always blamed but unfortunately its the customers allergens that are to blame :/

Yip if there's not ppd there's ptd which can also cause reaction. Organic colour systems don't use ppd or ptd as far as I know so might be worth contacting them. There's also organic and mineral hair colour but can't mind if it's in theirs or not.

toulene is another allergy problem ive found and that was in those i think, awful isnt it to not be able to help yr clients :(

Ive searched hi n low for ppd free and if it says it is, its replaced with another chemical which also causes allergy, ive a few clients who have reacted to skin tests, best bet to keep off scalp, most insurances say once a reaction to a skin test, never touch them with colour again, i usually use a skull cap on them and theyre happy with that. My rep said colours are always blamed but unfortunately its the customers allergens that are to blame :/

Have you checked with your insurer that they will still cover you using a cap? My understanding is that once a client has tested positive for a reaction with X brand, the insurer won't cover you regardless of method used.

I know that clients can be very persuasive but is it really worth the risk to your business?

If I knew someone had had a previous reaction to ppd I wouldn't colour their hair with anything containing ppd or ptd, not worth the risk for them and you.

Oh i didnt know that! Thanks for the warning, what narks me is the client goes elsewhere where we liven gets it done without a skin test without a problem but my skin test reacted. Cant work that one out! Dont know anyone else round here that does any testing! I insist on them

Another thing is what time frame is a skin test able to be done, my insurance said a week prior to 48 hrs before, but i dont feel like they knew! I rang reps n cudnt get a straight answer

Ideally 48hrs.

Thanks guys I didn't want to do it at all anyway so ill call her and say I can't get anything. A known allergy gives me the heebyjeebys!! Xxx

Its a ballache like! I dont mind doing skin tests at all but get last min apps wanting in that ive to refuse so they go elsewhere, i think it shud be made that we stylists should display the risks of colouring and it is up to the client if they want tested or not with no come back on us, if only!

What do you mean by an annual one?

So you do a skin test once a year and insurance wise you're covered.

Rather than doing a skin test before every colour. X

So you do a skin test once a year and insurance wise you're covered.

Rather than doing a skin test before every colour. X

Oh yeah I only skin test new clients then annually every 6 months I don't believe in testing before every colour x

One of my ladies i have coloured on scalp for 16 years and last month her skin test blistered, ive also had one who needed antibiotics after reacting to her skin test, best bet is prior to every colour like it states on the box, skin tests can come bk clear but folks can still react aswell i wouldnt touch anyone on scalp known with allergy to colour

I am allergic to hair colour but my reaction takes 3 days to appear, it's fine for the first 48 hours, then once I wash the skin test off it appears and gradually gets worse but whilst the colour is actually on my skin its doesn't burn or itch at all, only when it's actually taken off my skin.

I have coloured my hair for about 16 years and never had a problem till about 2 years ago

It's always best too check

And I would personally not use a hair stylist that didn't patch test, for the sake of 5 minutes popping into a salon for a test, it's not worth risking your life, it's extreme but true, people do die from reactions

Latest posts

Back