Practice Hand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammie

Reaction score
HI All

Just a quick question, i was thinking about buying one of those rubber hands to practice my application and technique and was just wondering if anyone else has had one and what did you think.

Can't afford a nail trainer so looking for alternatives.

Sammie

Hi Sammie, i bought a practice hand from ebay for 9.99 havent received it yet but as soon as i do ill let you know how i find it, i know this doesnt answer your question directly hun sorry x

Thanx Kelly that would be great.

Hi ya geeks

I've got a rubber hand (practice one that is)!!! I find it fine for doing nail art but thats about it really.

Hope you get on ok with yours.

x

Rubber practice hand?? Useless IMO. They are totally stiff and unrealistic.

WhenI started to do nails .... I know many moons ago .... LONG before the nail trainer (which is fab and worth the money) this is what I did.

I bought some 2mm dowling and my husband cut it into 14mm pieces for me. I then took a dremmel drill and carved out a nail bed that fit a size 5 tip.
This really did not take Long. I then attached the tip in the normal way, blended it and applied the product (pk and white) until I had over laid the 'bed' making sure I left a free margin all the way around the nail bed I had carved out.

It worked for me and I held the piece of dowling as I would a finger. Believe it or not I think I still have some of them somewhere. :D
It is simple, it is cheap, it is more realistic than those rubber hands and it worked for me.

If anyone tells you to fill a rubber glove with a pound of flour and stick tips on it .... take my advice and don't. :eek:

I bought a plastic hand at Olympia 3 years ago PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY THEY ARE RUBBISH!
If you need to practice get yourself a nail trainer you can do everything on it, it will become your best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geeg said:
Rubber practice hand?? Useless IMO. They are totally stiff and unrealistic.

WhenI started to do nails .... I know many moons ago .... LONG before the nail trainer (which is fab and worth the money) this is what I did.

I bought some 2mm dowling and my husband cut it into 14mm pieces for me. I then took a dremmel drill and carved out a nail bed that fit a size 5 tip.
This really did not take Long. I then attached the tip in the normal way, blended it and applied the product (pk and white) until I had over laid the 'bed' making sure I left a free margin all the way around the nail bed I had carved out.

It worked for me and I held the piece of dowling as I would a finger. Believe it or not I think I still have some of them somewhere. :D
It is simple, it is cheap, it is more realistic than those rubber hands and it worked for me.

If anyone tells you to fill a rubber glove with a pound of flour and stick tips on it .... take my advice and don't. :eek:
Wow, Gigi, you are so innovative :D - that's so impressive! The nail trainer is definitely the best way to go but if you really cant afford that then go for the rubber hands. I bought a pair for £16 at the local wholesaler and they have served their purpose. I did months of nail art on them and even did manage to do practice L&P on them. Believe it or not you can actually soak off nails with acetone on them and they dont disintegrate. If you want more details send me a PM.

Carole Lindsay said:
Wow, Gigi, you are so innovative :D -

:D Well in those days it was a case of having tobe innovative :D There was no nail trainer in those days!

I don't know why everyone objects so to paying the cost of the nail trainer. It is a very sophisticated piece of kit (which I am proud to say I helped a bit on the design) ... it will last forever, and it is not redundant when you finish a course. I still use mine when testing new products or trying out some new techniqes or doing a nail art design etc.

I totally believe in the nail trainer as a means of getting where you want to go (in nails) faster!!

I would not be without Luna, my trusty nail trainer - she has lived with me for almost 4 years and has helped immensely with application techniques and nail art - she is always there - never complains - not a very good tipper though LOL.

Unfortunately through overuse she has disintegrated a bit and her index finger has fallen off but ENP will repair and restore her for a very small fee.

If you cannot really afford a new one then surf around there are usually second hand ones for sale on here, on the NailtechUK board or on Ebay.

If you want to succeed in this business you need good training and lots of clients hands to work on and the nail trainer is always there. Very much worth the investment.

geeg said:
:D Well in those days it was a case of having tobe innovative :D There was no nail trainer in those days!

I don't know why everyone objects so to paying the cost of the nail trainer. It is a very sophisticated piece of kit (which I am proud to say I helped a bit on the design) ... it will last forever, and it is not redundant when you finish a course. I still use mine when testing new products or trying out some new techniqes or doing a nail art design etc.

I totally believe in the nail trainer as a means of getting where you want to go (in nails) faster!!
I dont think its a case of objecting to paying for the nail trainer so much as i think some people are struggling to afford all the costs and its another one. I do agree it is totally invaluable and i still practice new ideas as well. For people out there who are finding it hard to finance a new nail trainer, people do sell their ones on this site and also ebay often have them at good prices.

I really do wish i could buy a nail trainer but i can't even afford a second hand one. lol.

Sammie

Carole Lindsay said:
I dont think its a case of objecting to paying for the nail trainer so much as i think some people are struggling to afford all the costs and its another one. I do agree it is totally invaluable and i still practice new ideas as well. For people out there who are finding it hard to finance a new nail trainer, people do sell their ones on this site and also ebay often have them at good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back