Pre bonded hair extensions getting me down, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_mai

Reaction score
I trained with Lush US who are fab may i add and i did love the course and found them very informative. SInce the course iv only fitted a couple of heads but none are going as smoothly as i like! Im gutted! iv been doing micro rings for a good while so the sectioning and general positioning is not a problem its the pre bonded technique. Am i just being stupid :sad:
If anyone has anything they could contribute to the below that may help me lift my faith i would be eternally greatfull :p

Heat connector - When i melt the U tip everytime i go to put the glue down i get glue strings (similar to cheese strings! haha) following me which ends up on my clients hair!..

Too far up the head - This sounds daft but i plan on leaving a good enough gap between the scalp and bond but after its been rolled it ends up back near the scalp! way too far up! so im removing alot

Scruffy looking bonds - I want nice little need bonds but mine are looking very ugly right now, does this improve with practice at all or am i doomed??

dried glue - Does anyone else find that after the glue is rolled (especially on dark hair) it looks a whitish colour so stands out?

Sorry for the big moan guys! im just a bit down in the dumps about it as i thought i was pretty good in training! xxx

ok a few tips for you, are you cutting the prebonds down at all? i usually cut them in half to get a lovely sized bond, also make sure you are heating the bond long enough may stop the stringy bits, and the white bits at the bottom pop your connecter over them to seal them down which also seals the bond better too. You will get neater with practice have you got a dummy head and some spare hair? can just try practising till your confident again on that :)

aw thank you helen. I will start cutting them down from now on and i think the practice is what is needed. Aswell as investing in a dummy head. Thanks so much all the little tips help me and give me hope ha xx

I trained with Lush US who are fab may i add and i did love the course and found them very informative. SInce the course iv only fitted a couple of heads but none are going as smoothly as i like! Im gutted! iv been doing micro rings for a good while so the sectioning and general positioning is not a problem its the pre bonded technique. Am i just being stupid :sad:
If anyone has anything they could contribute to the below that may help me lift my faith i would be eternally greatfull :p

Heat connector - When i melt the U tip everytime i go to put the glue down i get glue strings (similar to cheese strings! haha) following me which ends up on my clients hair!..

Too far up the head - This sounds daft but i plan on leaving a good enough gap between the scalp and bond but after its been rolled it ends up back near the scalp! way too far up! so im removing alot

Scruffy looking bonds - I want nice little need bonds but mine are looking very ugly right now, does this improve with practice at all or am i doomed??

dried glue - Does anyone else find that after the glue is rolled (especially on dark hair) it looks a whitish colour so stands out?

Sorry for the big moan guys! im just a bit down in the dumps about it as i thought i was pretty good in training! xxx

same as the lady above said, definitely cut them down...I do it with pretty much all my clients. with the scruffyness, make sure u apply pressure to ur fingers when u roll it so its more like compact & smooth and also roll on the spot rather than upwards so it doesnt get too close. hope that helps hun x

Hi there,

I also agree that trimming the bonds helps in getting everything looking neat. The stringyness on the keratin could be the actual type of keratin used. Correct me if Im wrong as I am also only new with hair extensions also but I was using the italian keratin prebonded hair to start with and everything was going perfect no mess or burning fingers, then I changed supplier and when I heated the keratin it was exactly like you said it was stringy and messy to work with and it burned my fingers. I turned down the heat on my connecter and that seemed to help a little but from now on I only use italian keratin.

I hope this can be of some help but maybe the more experienced girls will know best x

Oh i didnt know about the different types of keratin! maybe this is the case. Thanks so much ladys all great tips! x

I also find it easier to go from above with the hand that I'm rolling the bond with that way it does spread upwards and you tend not to get lift at the root!

Just another tip on top of cutting down the tip of the extensions... I do not recommend pinching the the clients hair with the heated applicator as they run almost 500 degrees.... but you might want to try giving the extension a second to return to a "tacky" state so you can roll and mold easier

Just another tip on top of cutting down the tip of the extensions... I do not recommend pinching the the clients hair with the heated applicator as they run almost 500 degrees.... but you might want to try giving the extension a second to return to a "tacky" state so you can roll and mold easier

Thats some hot heating irons you have in New York!

I cut the bonds down more than half so there is still enough adhesive on the bond to roll and if you find it difficult to roll with your finger then why not use a silicone finger pad or a finger and thumb protector, they work a treat to roll a very small bond. Practice practice practice,
The other thing I have found is the adhesive tips vary from place to place and some times you do get a cheese string qtupe of adhesive, I hate that.

No one has mentioned using a shield! Lush us don't train to use shields which I think is wrong. If you use a shield,decent ones have measurements in mm on them so you can get every extension the right distance from the scalp, plus they stop short fluffy hairs becoming caught up in the glue.

Thats some hot heating irons you have in New York!

That will be Fahrenheit not Celsius :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

500 f is 260 c :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I have also recently read a lot on here and from using Balmain decided I wanted to offer my clients a low budget alternative. So I ordered Lush Us Hair. The hair feels gorgeous and I'm really pleased, however the bonds are really sticky, like cheese strings as said above. Using a heat shield is a must as the bonds get so tacky but this wil stop it going on the clients head. Also, the bonds are about twice the size. I find I have to cut length off them then cut them in half. Do lush teach you to heat the whole bond it wont even fit on my heat gun and unless it's cut down its a horrible lumpy thick bond. Anyone else find this with lush? Apart from that love the hair and looks lovely when finished!!! Anyone else trim lush us bonds? xx

Yes lush did train with shields and your right they are fab couldnt do without them! x

No one has mentioned using a shield! Lush us don't train to use shields which I think is wrong. If you use a shield,decent ones have measurements in mm on them so you can get every extension the right distance from the scalp, plus they stop short fluffy hairs becoming caught up in the glue.

Morning Tash,

I do find this with lush us bonds. I do cut down the bonds on all lush us its the only negative to the hair really, apart from that its a great budget range to have. Iv kinda got used to the cheese strings now tbh! just dont try eating them if your on a long shift!!:lol:

I have also recently read a lot on here and from using Balmain decided I wanted to offer my clients a low budget alternative. So I ordered Lush Us Hair. The hair feels gorgeous and I'm really pleased, however the bonds are really sticky, like cheese strings as said above. Using a heat shield is a must as the bonds get so tacky but this wil stop it going on the clients head. Also, the bonds are about twice the size. I find I have to cut length off them then cut them in half. Do lush teach you to heat the whole bond it wont even fit on my heat gun and unless it's cut down its a horrible lumpy thick bond. Anyone else find this with lush? Apart from that love the hair and looks lovely when finished!!! Anyone else trim lush us bonds? xx

Just real quick... is it possible that the fusion tool your using is the problem? sometimes its simply to hot.. I know what you mean about them getting fluffy... personally buying a cold fusion unit may be the best way to go , i find them easier to manage.. =)

Morning Tash,

I do find this with lush us bonds. I do cut down the bonds on all lush us its the only negative to the hair really, apart from that its a great budget range to have. Iv kinda got used to the cheese strings now tbh! just dont try eating them if your on a long shift!!:lol:

I find I'm cutting the bonds in half and in length do u do both too?
The customer service is spot on. I ordered some remover and it leaked in the bag I emailed to say idlost 25% of the solution and they have sent out a new one and my next delivery is free. They have been great!!
How many do u fit once you've cut them in half on a full head? I'm use to using balmain hair you see..xx

Latest posts

Back