Pre pig help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjb

Reaction score
I am a qualified hairdresser, never been the most confident in colours and recently changed to using wella as I prefer there products.
I don’t usually pre pig but my client has extremely overly damaged hair from pre lightening ( she’s been using box dyes on root and then had nightlights full head from someone else)so now she’s came to me with a mix tone root and extremely white/ashy ends. I used 6/43 as my pre pig colour and then I applied 7/17 using 6% all over, I’m thinking I should have used4% or even 1.9% on the hair after I have done it, Our result was extremely Warm roots, looks auburn, and the ends still firmly light and ashy again even after the pre pig. Can someone please give me there second opinion on this as she’s keen to have it re done.
I’m thinking another pre pig on the ends and maybe a 6/1 to take the warmth out using either 4% or even 1.9% as I don’t need the hair to lift?

I have posted before and after pictures to help. If someone could please shine some light on this as she has another appointment with later today. Thanks

Attachments

• 8D413DFA-42B2-4CB4-984C-CAA37B12137E.jpeg
    8D413DFA-42B2-4CB4-984C-CAA37B12137E.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 29
Before picture

Attachments

• 5B81F038-E519-4CF7-ABE2-B9D48CA0C358.jpeg
    5B81F038-E519-4CF7-ABE2-B9D48CA0C358.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 20
You’ve not explained what it is that you’re trying to achieve.

What’s her natural level and is there any natural root regrowth or are you saying that she’s only recently box dyed her roots and so no root regrowth, and it’s all coloured?

If the ends are extremely porous, you could try a porosity equaliser beforehand but if the cuticle layer is very badly damaged, you’ll still get a patchy result and ideally, the ends will need cutting off.

You’ve also not said what products you’re using? Wella KP, CT, L’Oréal?
The /1 in Wella for instance, doesn’t neutralise anything, it just subdues it slightly, so I’m thinking you’re using another brand?

If you can provide more information, it will help us to guide you.

We just want to achieve a level base 6/7, with no warmth at all
10 days since she applied a box dye so slight regrow.
yes I’m going to be explaining to my client that she will need a lot cutting off.
I am using wella kp
(I’m in need of a colour course to make me more familiar with wella as I trained with goldwell and not overly keen on there products)
What would you recommend to cancel out the warmth in the root.
Also the ends I need to be so careful as they are Very ashy even after a pre pig.
Thanks for replying much appreciated.

Definitely pre pig those ends. I'd be inclined to use colour touch 6/1+7/89 on the roots with 1.9% and then use 6/71 on the very ends where its lighter with 1.9% providing the prepig sticks well. Have you got perfecton to pre pig?

No I was using a 6/43 kp with 1.9% to pre pig?
For the root would you mix equal parts 6/1 and 7/89? do you still stick by the 1:2 ratio with the 1.9%?
thanks for your reply really appreciate it.
She is a regular, i don’t normally accept new clients for colour corrections.
thanks again

No I was using a 6/43 kp with 1.9% to pre pig?
For the root would you mix equal parts 6/1 and 7/89? do you still stick by the 1:2 ratio with the 1.9%?
thanks for your reply really appreciate it.
She is a regular, i don’t normally accept new clients for colour corrections.
thanks again
Okay, use either perfecton /43 if you have it, or colour touch 8/43 with 1.9%1:2
Yes use equal amounts of 7/89+6/1 with 1.9% 1:2
Good luck :)

I have managed to get /43 today from my supplier.
thank you so much for your help I’ll let you know how i get on.

the root colour was prefect, no root glow at all!
The ends on the other hand have just gone like a red based murky colour.
the /43 did pigment a lot of warm tones. This is why I like to refuse colour corrections.
they are so unpredictable.
The client went home happy with the result as it was much better, I still wasn’t happy though and would love to hear people’s opinion for the ends going forward?
Thanks

the root colour was prefect, no root glow at all!
The ends on the other hand have just gone like a red based murky colour.
the /43 did pigment a lot of warm tones. This is why I like to refuse colour corrections.
they are so unpredictable.
The client went home happy with the result as it was much better, I still wasn’t happy though and would love to hear people’s opinion for the endsgoing forward?
Thanks
When you say /43 was it mix tone or perfecton?
Perfecton isn't that pigmented so I'd be shocked if that come through the 6/71.
You may find after a wash or two it'll lose that warm glow anyway, by how porous the hair sounds, it will go flatter after it's washed :)

I think I have had some confusion with the pre pig colour, as I’m not used to the wella brand! I got the /43 in the ct
I’ll upload some pics now to show you the result.
Would be great if I could get her ends like the root but I think her hair is too far gone, it doesn’t seem to be grabbing the colour.
the ends are very damaged and with short hair already she was very reluctant to have it cut out she didn’t want to be too short. I’ve advised plenty of treatments and another cut in a few weeks and hopefully will see better results.

This is the root, no warmth and for many years my client has struggled with a number of salons to achieve this. She was always told her undertones are too warm for an ash root! So I was very pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• 8998F4AA-1256-4014-8237-14D32AE5FCD7.jpeg
    8998F4AA-1256-4014-8237-14D32AE5FCD7.jpeg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 26
The end result, please note I took this picture in the most extreme lighting today to show you the result, in normal basic lighting it does looks toned down, but I just wanted you to see. This was before we cut her hair also.

Attachments

• 6F26975C-1326-439C-A005-E8B8D2891BFD.jpeg
    6F26975C-1326-439C-A005-E8B8D2891BFD.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 23
The end result, please note I took this picture in the most extreme lighting today to show you the result, in normal basic lighting it does looks toned down, but I just wanted you to see. This was before we cut her hair also.
Ahh okay I see, it may be worth applying 6/71 + 6/1 equal amounts over the top with 1.9%. Your other option would be to retail her a tinted conditioner in a cool brown this woukd really help, and it will help keep the colour as it's made up of surface colourants so this will sit over the top of the colour that's on her hair now :)

yes I was thinking of possibly mixing the 2 together to see if I get better coverage in the ends, I will see how she gets on and get her back, and also recommend the conditioner too.
Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate that.

yes I was thinking of possibly mixing the 2 together to see if I get better coverage in the ends, I will see how she gets on and get her back, and also recommend the conditioner too.
Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate that.
I'd highly recommend either wella cool brunette recharge mask or the Maria Nilla cacao intense colour refresh mask :)

Latest posts

Back