Pre pigmenting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairbyme

Reaction score
Hi, I have a client who wants to go black with a yellow money piece. Last time I did her hair she had blonde balayage then throughout lockdown she put an orange over the blonde. So she now has her natural level 6 roots, with a faded orange on her mid lengths and ends.

I mainly use matrix so I was planning on using color sync in 1a for the black, rather than the so color. I haven't had to do much pre pigmenting, and when I did I also used color sync to do that. Would the 4RV be suitable to pre pig first, or should I choose a different level/tone? I know you can use mousse and other products but since I haven't used them before I'm unsure what the best product would be. I am ordering online so something available from salon services/salon supplies or salon synergy would be great. Thank you.

Surely if she put an orange over the blonde then it is already prepigmented? And why not permanent - as the ends will be more porous the quasi may wash out/fade a lot faster. I would suggest socolour 2N with 3% and then you're not putting an overload of ash in anyway. And it's only 0.3% stronger peroxide than using sync.

Surely if she put an orange over the blonde then it is already prepigmented? And why not permanent - as the ends will be more porous the quasi may wash out/fade a lot faster. I would suggest socolour 2N with 3% and then you're not putting an overload of ash in anyway. And it's only 0.3% stronger peroxide than using sync.
Well she put an orange over bleach that has now faded, but she has no red in there so I'll still need to pre pig.

Well you may be right about permanent colour, I could always do that instead. I would only use 3% going darker anyway but thought that it may be gentler on the hair to use a quasi.

You can definitely get good results from filling with col Sync and then so colour over the top.
Rule of thumb for filling is to replace all the natural underlying pig of the level your aiming for and also to fill with 2 levels lower than you chosen target shade!
Sometimes it’s good to get back to basics ( get your books & work sheets out) when your unsure, a good way to refresh yourself.
Think the better the fill the better the overall outcome. X

You can definitely get good results from filling with col Sync and then so colour over the top.
Rule of thumb for filling is to replace all the natural underlying pig of the level your aiming for and also to fill with 2 levels lower than you chosen target shade!
Sometimes it’s good to get back to basics ( get your books & work sheets out) when your unsure, a good way to refresh yourself.
Think the better the fill the better the overall outcome. X

Thanks very much for your advice! I understand the theory of pigmenting, I'm just struggling to find a suitable shade in colorsync. I was leaning towards 4RV just because, as you said, it's a few levels lighter than the target shade and the primary tone is red. I know 4RV obviously has violet in it aswell, but I can't seem to find a level dark enough that just has the required red tone. Would you suggest a different shade or formula for filling, or perhaps a different product altogether?

Thanks.

Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean?
Are you talking about re-colouring after using a colour reducer or something else?

How would this work if you’re going from a 10 to a 6? Are you saying you use an 8 yellow to pre-pig, rather than something with orange in it?

Thanks very much for your advice! I understand the theory of pigmenting, I'm just struggling to find a suitable shade in colorsync. I was leaning towards 4RV just because, as you said, it's a few levels lighter than the target shade and the primary tone is red. I know 4RV obviously has violet in it aswell, but I can't seem to find a level dark enough that just has the required red tone. Would you suggest a different shade or formula for filling, or perhaps a different product altogether?

Thanks

Hi there.
I personally wouldn't be using 4rv due to the Violet tone. you're looking to get a nice deep red undertone for the level (2) of your final target shade however it would be foolish of me to suggest a specific formula without seeing and making a full assessment of the quality of hair you are working on. Do take into account porosity levels.
I'm a L'OREAL trained stylist and their recommended product to fill with is Majirel. I use this every time to pre-pig as directed by L'oreal technical guide with success. Go onto their professional site and download the Tech Guide and you'll get fabulous results by following their recommended process. Good Luck Xx

Latest posts

Back