Pre tone before pastel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalalaurz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wondered what your opinions were on pre toning? So if I have a full head of bleach hilights or a full scalp bleach, lifted to a 10 but maybe with some slight tingey areas, would you advise going in with say a p01 or a wella colour charmT18 to really clean the colour up before using a pastel shade? I’m a mobile hairdresser so time is of the essence. I keep certain stock that I know I will always use, however for big jobs I tend to buy in demand so I don’t want to buy product I won’t use!
Any help would be appreciated

It honestly depends how clean it lifts. Some people really don't have much pheomelanin and they lift really clean, then some people have a lot and its still quite warm even though its 10. In the latter case I will pretone!

To get the best result possible with pastel colours the hair needs to be as close to white as possible. Say for example you're doing a pastel lilac, if its still quite warm then your violet in whatever pastel colour you use will expend most of its energy on neutralising the warmth so the result wont be as good! Just my 2 pence!

It honestly depends how clean it lifts. Some people really don't have much pheomelanin and they lift really clean, then some people have a lot and its still quite warm even though its 10. In the latter case I will pretone!

To get the best result possible with pastel colours the hair needs to be as close to white as possible. Say for example you're doing a pastel lilac, if its still quite warm then your violet in whatever pastel colour you use will expend most of its energy on neutralising the warmth so the result wont be as good! Just my 2 pence!
Yeah I think that’s where I’ve gone wrong in the past tbh, it’s so hard explaining to a client why they have to pay more than their friend who had exactly the same colour but didn’t need the pretone! Next time I’m just gonna read your reply to them and baffle then with science, that should shut them up!! Haha

Yeah I think that’s where I’ve gone wrong in the past tbh, it’s so hard explaining to a client why they have to pay more than their friend who had exactly the same colour but didn’t need the pretone! Next time I’m just gonna read your reply to them and baffle then with science, that should shut them up!! Haha
Haha yeah, I'd just say everyone's hair is different and so the pigment levels differ per head so it can require different methods and products to get the same result on a different client!

Latest posts

Back