Pregnancy and pedicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astarstyle

Reaction score
Hello lovely nail geeks :Love:

Popping over from hair, have a question.

I am off to stay with the inlaws this weekend and and my mother-in-law has only just gained two 'daughters' in the last couple of years after 30 years of only having two boys and is loving the whole girly experience, so...

I am thinking of booking us all in for a luxury pedicure whilst the boys go and play golf... boring!...lol.

My question is, are there any contraindications concerning a pedicure when pregnant? My SIL is pregnant but only just coming up 12 weeks and has not told anyone other than very close family... so rather than her feel I am blurting it out to Tom, Dick and Harry I was hoping you guys could tell me if it is something I need to tell the therapist beforehand?

Thanks in advance, Andria x

I think it's a lovely idea and there is no reason why any of you can't have a normal pedicure and enjoy it. Usually my concerns are infections, cuts, swelling and diabetes. Diabetes is somewhat debatable as you could still have a pedicure but with more caution perhaps. Pregnancy alone should not be classed as a contraindication but if you feel better letting the therapist know do so there consultation may include the request for information anyway xxx enjoy xxx

If pregnant you cannot have a foot spa that's the only thing I'm aware of you can't have in a pedicure while pregnant. Your not allowed any jacuzzi or spas although I'm still not 100% sure why.

A foot spa will be fine

Certain pressure points on the foot around the heel and ankle can stimulate the uterus.. That's the only thing.. And also just essential oils! A basic pedicure should be fine x

Recent studies have shown that other than sensitivity to smells(i use unscented lotions) as long as her doc hasn't classified her as high risk, there are NO dangers of a pedi, spa or not. Opt out of a more vigorous massage, if you're concerned, and enjoy.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

The therapist needs to know, definatley stay away from ankle massage as the accupressure point there can cause miscarrage in early pregnancy, also it can bring on labour in late pregnancy. Some essential oils also are not recommended during pregnancy.

Your not allowed any jacuzzi or spas although I'm still not 100% sure why.

Pregnant ladies are not supposed to use hot jacuzzis, hot tubs, saunas or steam rooms. Raising the bodies core temperature can lead to developmental problems for the foetus. That's what them medical types say anyway :D I really can't see why you couldn't use a footspa though, I was never told to avoid them during pregnancy. I can understand the pressure point thing but it really doesn't stimulate the correct area.

Maybe worth mentioning that salicylic acid leave on exfoliants shouldn't be used during pregnancy. I'm not sure what the ingredients are in say callus peel and whether that would contraindicate their use.

Air x

I was taught no ankle massage on pregnant ladies and no footspa either.

Latest posts

Back