Pregnancy and spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, At my work we use Natursun spray tan. One of the therapists is pregnant, and she phoned Natursun and they said it is advisable for her not to carry out spray tans whilst she is pregnant.

If I was pregnant I know I would be worried about breathing in all the chemicals. It's bad enough now, even with a mask you end up with a sore throat and tan up your nose!

If I was pregnant I know I would be worried about breathing in all the chemicals. It's bad enough now, even with a mask you end up with a sore throat and tan up your nose!

We use the Vani-t Liquid Sun 99% natural based along with their aftercare product range.
The training manual + the hands on training that is included in this companies service's provides all the information we need to assess for these treatment's.

I have every confidence in this range & base my opinion [as many others do] on the product/s I use, trust & highly recommend.

We are trialing another solution at present also.
100% hemp seed oil based....smells DIVINE, sprays on clear. No "fake tan smell" no alcohol in the solution.
This range includes haircare - skincare - UV tanning accelorators & a sunless tanning solution. All natural based....... [A pattern forming here]

This solution I would highly recommend as a skin treatment in a tan & may actually do "stretching tummies" alot of good, as with Vani-t's skin firming and hydrating benefits in their products. All about as natural as you can get.

Never have had the need to wear a mask myself whilst tanning.

Vani-t tan smells LUSH....everyone comments on how it doesnt have that "fake tan smell" & as with any uplifting fragrance its pleasent for most individuals to be around.

I suffer from sinus & have no ill effect from this solution, unlike the soap/laundry products isle in the supermarket....can smell that isle the moment I enter the door.
Alot of beauty products can aggravate it as well I've chosen all my products to be as therapist & as client friendly as I can.

Never have I experienced a sore throat & tan up my nose from spray tanning, clients have never mentioned it either.

If you dont trust your solution/s or your judgement then by all means decline the service.
You'd be silly not to.

XX J XX

this is a very personel issue and one that you need to make for yourself..as your experiance of treating pregnant customers grows so will your confidence.
DHA is safe (used in baking certain brown breads beleive it or not) to use on any client whatsoever....however with pregnant women act on the side of caution as anything can set them off balance ...so be sure to talk the whole process through with them...point out the cons (smell may cause sick etc)
Point out possible blotching on skin due to inbalances etc...make sure the room is very well ventilated and maybe to make the cient feel that you are treating them with "extra" caution offer that they wear a mask also...just to prevent inhalition and any concequentiall inbalance (sickness)
Spray a little..check if the customer is happy for you to continue and so on.

There are no known dangers to pregnant women so realy it is up to you from a personel view point and the customer to feel that the process is both benificial to the way the customer wants to look verses any possible risks involved (sickness due to smell etc)
So if you are going to treat a pregnant female ...just take your time and ensure that both parties are comfortable during the whole process..if you feel uncomfortable undertaking this service then dont do it as your uncertanty will show through ..oh and maybe keep a hughy bowl handy just in case ;0)

well i have just had a baby and when i was pregnant i asked a lot of doctors whether this was allowed, they all said no - they said whatever yu put on your skin gets absorbed and has a chance to go to your baby!

I say - dont risk it -
there are other products with the dixy...thingy in the ingredient - that is what penetrates the skin for the tan.

rimmel does an instant make up tan - sunless tan - which is like a tan make up - washes on and off -

t be honest as u go further in your pregnancy u really wont be bothered, the smell alone made me sick

having said al that JORDAN did sunbed her whole pregnancy! not that her kids are of best health...:green:
Your docyor is right...adatives to the skins surface can find their way into the blood stream...thats how Transdermal patches work..likewise any nasties in make up...soaps,creams potions and lotions ...what is important here is what is the substance being applied and is it potentially harmfull if it enters the blood system.
To date there is no evidence whatsoever that DHA is harmfull...however different manufacturers add different "additional" ingrediances so always check with your supplier if the liquids have been fully tested and certified for application to the skin.If yes then there is no reason why the aplication should not be applied to a pregnant female.
Of course doctors are also there to protect your health...if you are uncertain you are absolutley right to consult a doctor...but remember doctors will always act on the side of caution when advising you so even if they advise you against it this might be pure caution as maybe they are not fimilular with the composition of the liquid.
I think the main issue to consider is the one of fumes and the smell...we dont want to start any ladies being sick all over our equipment while were spraying now do we ;0))

I dont think i would either have it done or do it on anyone else not for the first few weeks anyway there are lots of chemicals flying around and for the sake of a bit of colour i just wouldnt bother.
I just wonder now why so many kids have a.d.h.d and autism and stuff like that.The less chemicals you can expose an un born to the better in my opinion.

Guess it depends on the solution you use. When i spray there are not nasty chemicals flying around everywhere. :confused:

Hi, At my work we use Natursun spray tan. One of the therapists is pregnant, and she phoned Natursun and they said it is advisable for her not to carry out spray tans whilst she is pregnant.

Once again its all in the solution you use. If u are experiencing a sore throat etc i would be changing to a more natural product, in 3 years i have never experienced this with Liquid Sun.

Once again its all in the solution you use. If u are experiencing a sore throat etc i would be changing to a more natural product, in 3 years i have never experienced this with Liquid Sun.

Hi, unfortunatly it's not my salon, so can't change what we use.

We do however have a new range in our salon which is very natural, and they have a tan, which has DHA, cotton flower and oriental sea kelp in, which is great for the skin, no chemicals and I find the tan lasts longer than the natursun spray tan we have. It doesn't stain the clothes, moisturises the skin, doesn't smell horrible, and no chance of streaking. Its a very new range and not in many salons yet - Uber.

Hi, unfortunatly it's not my salon, so can't change what we use.

We do however have a new range in our salon which is very natural, and they have a tan, which has DHA, cotton flower and oriental sea kelp in, which is great for the skin, no chemicals and I find the tan lasts longer than the natursun spray tan we have. It doesn't stain the clothes, moisturises the skin, doesn't smell horrible, and no chance of streaking. Its a very new range and not in many salons yet - Uber.

Thats great sounds like it will be much better for your health!

Hi geeks,

Can anyone tell me if spraytanning and receiving a spraytan during pregnancy is safe? Im four weeks pregnant and have only recently started spray tanning. Me and my friend have been practicing on each other trying out the different solutions to decide on which one we like best and im a bit worried now as someone mentioned that it was'nt safe.

Thanks everyone!:eek:
Hi there new on here just to let you know you have got to be over 2months pregnant before you can have a tan, well thats what i was told. xx

well i have just had a baby and when i was pregnant i asked a lot of doctors whether this was allowed, they all said no - they said whatever yu put on your skin gets absorbed and has a chance to go to your baby!

I say - dont risk it -
there are other products with the dixy...thingy in the ingredient - that is what penetrates the skin for the tan.

rimmel does an instant make up tan - sunless tan - which is like a tan make up - washes on and off -

t be honest as u go further in your pregnancy u really wont be bothered, the smell alone made me sick

having said al that JORDAN did sunbed her whole pregnancy! not that her kids are of best health...:green:

The Rimmel wash off tan/ bronzer probarly contains more synthetic ingredients than most spray tanning solutions.

As a matter of fact, unless the mums to be are using all natural or organic moisturisers, shampoos etc they are exposing themselves to more chemicals than whats in alot of spray tans.

I use Liquid Sun which doesnt even use parabens as preservatives either. All the ingredients are plant / naturally derived.

Latest posts

Back