Pregnancy massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lise

Reaction score
hi all ive just had a client asking if she can have a massage at 3 weeks pregnant,is the best advice to tell her to wait till she is at least 3 months,advice please peeps :Love:

Yes I would definitely advise to wait until after the 3 month mark. Apart from anything else, if a client received a massage in the early stages of pregnancy, then something happened, for example they miscarried, then they may place the blame on the therapist.
Although it won't have been the therapists fault a grieving person may want to blame something so best not to put yourself in the situation. Also check out your insurance, are you covered to treat pregnant clients and from what stage?
It's best for you and your client to wait til after 12 weeks then treat her accordingly.

thanx for reply im not going to take the chance huge risk:wink2:

Yeah best not hun xx

How can people know they are 3 weeks pregnant?

Anyway when I did my preg massage course I was told we could massage from 0 weeks to 40+ weeks. I would go with your training and check with insurance as I know mine will only cover me for 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Hth x

How can people know they are 3 weeks pregnant?

Anyway when I did my preg massage course I was told we could massage from 0 weeks to 40+ weeks. I would go with your training and check with insurance as I know mine will only cover me for 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Hth x
I did wonder about the 3 weeks pregnant and assume the lady has used one of the digital pregnancy tests that has the estimated weeks on it, it starts from 3+ that's just my assumption though lol xx

Apart from anything else, if a client received a massage in the early stages of pregnancy, then something happened, for example they miscarried, then they may place the blame on the therapist.
Although it won't have been the therapists fault a grieving person may want to blame something so best not to put yourself in the situation.

That's spot on really.

An experienced Massage Therapist trained in pregnancy massage will be happy to do massage in the first trimester but many untrained in pregnancy massage won't for the very reasons above.

In ITEC massage you are told not to massage in the first and last trimester - they even advise you not to at all during pregnancy, but obviously - hard to enforce that. I had massages in my pregnancy but both my therapists had training in pregnancy massage :) It's quite a different kettle of fish to a normal massage.
More importantly you NEED to speak to your insurance company - I found one of them would not cover ANY treatment on pregnant women at ANY stage unless I had done specific courses for that treatment on a pregnant woman... and even then it "would depend"... needless to say I didn't go with them...

As for knowing she is 3 weeks pregnant... I can promise you I knew when I was 2-3 weeks pregnant... I knew exactly when my daughter was conceived and I was throwing up at 2 weeks, confirmed with pregnancy test and even a disbelieving GP double checked it. :) (And it was confirmed with a scan at 6 weeks when I ended up in hospital with severe dehydration and ketone levels through the roof! They were worried it was twins :) )

Latest posts

Back