Pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwhiteh

Reaction score
Hi there folks - I have just found out I am pregnant - me and fiance have been trying for 4.5 months and cant believe it's happened so quickly - was a bit of a shock really after all the let down of negative tests - anyway:
went to the doctors last nite to get it confirmed - had an emergency appointment because I honestly dont know when it happened and he just gave me a jar, told me to urinate in it and drop it off with the receptionist in the morning!!!!
is this what normally happens???
also what else should I be doing to keep myself healthy - dont really drink anyway - have nearly stopped smoking - what else?????

also I work full time (not nails) and although i'll be entitled to materity pay you have to go back to work after otherwise the employer can claim some of it back right??? but can i go back part time instead???

ps - am going on a bit cos we havent told anyone yet - not even parents and I had to tell someone - who better than you guys!!!!

Congratulations to you and your hubby.
You said you have nearly stopped smoking this is a good chance for you to stop altogether now you have a little one growin g inside you.
Strat taking the folic acid as well

Congratulations! How exciting for you!

Yes, the doc acted normal! Even tho we are super excited and want loads of answers, the docs see it everyday I'm afraid! Start taking folic acid if you're not already. But most importantly, try to enjoy it! :hug:

As for the maternity pay, I'm going back 9 years now but, I didn't return to work and kept all my money. Might have changed recently so might be worth checking.

Thanks guys - the doctor said in my case after looking at my notes that rather than just stopping a 20-a-day habit straight away I'm best off just cutting down to a couple a day cos the stress of stopping like that may cause more damage - but am trying - promise!!!!

These are a few things I did when I found out I was pregnant: I took folic acid, omega 3 tablets, iron tablets, ate alot of fruit, made sure I did some excersise everyday, even if it was just walking round and round lol!! Started rubbing shea butter into my belly, I though it would stop me getting stretch marks, it didnt, Im covered!! But I have got fab soft skin on my belly now!!

Good luck and congratulations!!! xxx

Firstly....Congratulations! Welcome to the geeky baby club, there are quite a lot of us pregnant on here, and its always fab to hear of a new addition!

Thanks guys - the doctor said in my case after looking at my notes that rather than just stopping a 20-a-day habit straight away I'm best off just cutting down to a couple a day cos the stress of stopping like that may cause more damage - but am trying - promise!!!!

I'm amazed at this....its a pretty well documented fact that 2 cigarettes a day are 90% as harmful as 20, especially whena baby is on the way. Every medical professional I have ever come across has said if you find out you are pregnant, the very best thing is never to touch another cigarette again (yes, even after baby is born....smoking is a major contributor to cot death)....unless you have some particular condition? But I can assure stopping smoking is the very best gift you can ever give your new baby.

I would also get yourself some specific pre-natal vitamins (the Solgar ones are highly commended by a lot of midwifes, and so are Pregnacare), either with or in addition to your Folic Acid. The next thing that will happen to you is a 'booking' in appointment with you Midwife at about 8-10 weeks.

Personally I don't think that you get a lot of info given to you know as to how to go through pregnancy, so I would go out and buy a good book....'Your Pregnancy Bible' by Anne Deans is excellent as is anything by Miriam Stoppard. That will talk you through the what to do, what not to do, what not to eat....tht sort of thing.

And most importantly, enjoy your pregnancy!

There are quite a few things you shouldn't eat or touch regarding listeria and toxoplasmosis. Probably more now than when i was pregnant so have a look on the net if you haven't been given any info yet.

Congratulations :hug:

Congratulations Hun xx

Congratulaions :hug:

Isn't it now also a year paid maternity leave?

My friend and his girlfriend are expecting a baby in May and she will be entitled to this - he is a nurse and Jules is a trainee nurse in her second year.

Is this just an NHS thing for nurses or is it applicable to everyone?

Congratulaions :hug:

Isn't it now also a year paid maternity leave?

My friend and his girlfriend are expecting a baby in May and she will be entitled to this - he is a nurse and Jules is a trainee nurse in her second year.

Is this just an NHS thing for nurses or is it applicable to everyone?

Nope, everyone expecting a baby as of 1st April is now entitled to a years materntiy leave, 9 months of which are paid, as opposed to 6 currently.

I miss out by 3 weeks!

Congratulations chick :hug:

Firstly, congratulations! How absolutely exciting.

I confirmed my 2nd pregnancy with a home kit. The gp then told me that he wouldn't even bother with a urine sample as most home kits are 100% accurate. I'm sorry he seemed to brush you aside because it is such a special time for new mums, but yes, this seems to be the norm.

Your local supermarket or Boots will sell a range of folic acid containing tabs which you should start taking as soon as you can. They contain the necessary vits, minerals, calcium etc to keep you and your foetus is good health.

It is often difficult to eat well especially at the begining of pregnancy, due to nausea. If you do lose your appetite, just continue to eat small healthy snacks as and when you can.

Above all, don't worry too much and try to enjoy every moment of being preggie. :hug:

I've never been pregnant so haven't a clue! Just wanted to say congratulations! Have you told the other half yet?! Wanna know what he says!

BIG HUGE CONGRATS HUN!!! :)

Take Folic acid for at least the first 3 mths but can continue on through pregnancy also you can get vitamins tablets for women in pregnancy called Pregnacare, from places like boots etc.... have all you need in one tablet. But your midwife will give you loads of info, so don't worry!!

Avoid foods such as:

* raw milk
* soft cheeses : feta goat cheese, brie, camembert
* Mexican-style cheeses : queso blanco and queso fresco
* unpasteurized juice.
* raw eggs
* Caesar dressing
* egg nog (unpasteurized)
* Hollandaise sauce
* cookie batter
* homemade ice cream
* deli meats
* sushi
* pates
* raw seafood, especially shellfish
* undercooked chicken or meat.

Also be careful if you have a cat as you can get Toxoplasmosis. Any more info give me a shout!! Also ask if they test for Strep B. Its a bateria many women carry but aren't tested for, its fine for us but not an unborn baby. Not all hospitals test for it unless there is a history. HTH

ENJOY NOW THOUGH AS IT WILL FLY BY!!! WELL UNTIL LAST SIX WEEKS LOL!!!

BIG HUGE CONGRATS HUN!!! :)

Take Folic acid for at least the first 3 mths but can continue on through pregnancy also you can get vitamins tablets for women in pregnancy called Pregnacare, from places like boots etc.... have all you need in one tablet. But your midwife will give you loads of info, so don't worry!!

Avoid foods such as:

* raw milk
* soft cheeses : feta goat cheese, brie, camembert
* Mexican-style cheeses : queso blanco and queso fresco
* unpasteurized juice.
* raw eggs
* Caesar dressing
* egg nog (unpasteurized)
* Hollandaise sauce
* cookie batter
* homemade ice cream
* deli meats
* sushi
* pates
* raw seafood, especially shellfish
* undercooked chicken or meat.

Also be careful if you have a cat as you can get Toxoplasmosis. Any more info give me a shout!! Also ask if they test for Strep B. Its a bateria many women carry but aren't tested for, its fine for us but not an unborn baby. Not all hospitals test for it unless there is a history. HTH

ENJOY NOW THOUGH AS IT WILL FLY BY!!! WELL UNTIL LAST SIX WEEKS LOL!!!
And sheep .Ewes i think but can't remember why.

Thanks grrrreat news ... nice one !!! My sisters is expected too i think i'm more excited that she is !!! its a special gift, enjoy it !!!

Nope, everyone expecting a baby as of 1st April is now entitled to a years materntiy leave, 9 months of which are paid, as opposed to 6 currently.

I miss out by 3 weeks!

Ohhh no that's unlucky!!! Can't you keep your legs crossed for three weeks!?

And sheep .Ewes i think but can't remember why.

You can't eat female sheep when preggers????

How the hell do you know what sex the meat is?

Ohhh no that's unlucky!!! Can't you keep your legs crossed for three weeks!?

LOL was thinking the same when I read it!! Ya never know baby might be late, maybe not that late though, lol!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back