Pregnant and booked in wedding!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just after some advice really, 😀 iv been a mobile hairdresser for 12 years, I have a 3 yr old son, iv got 3 clients that are a bit of an issue for me, they live about an hour from me so travelling is horrendous sometimes and tbh aren't great payers, it's my fault as one of them iv known since I started 12 yrs ago and she became a "friend" even though I feel I'm being mugged off a bit as I only see them wen they want hair doin! I know I need to be stronger but I am a bit of a woos and hate confrontation! Iv agreed to do one of their wedding hair June 18th 2015, the prob is my baby is due on the 2nd and I have to have c section so 6 weeks I can't drive, none of them know I'm expecting yet and I'm supposed to be goin there later but I just don't want to! I'm trying to think of every excuse not to, my hubby says I should go and just be honest which I know is right but I feel bad about this wedding malarkey, I know I won't be in a fit state to do it but I'm still thinking well it's 18 days after maybe I'll be ok?!! I put so much pressure on myself all because iv lost the ability to say no!! What is wrong with me?!! I'm hopin u geeks can giv me a kick up the butt!! Iv worked out for them 3 clients (that are in in different houses but around the same area) I earn £80 every 6 weeks so minus travel and products(they have colour) I'm not earning minimum wage! Help!!!!!!

Hi geeks, just after some advice really, 😀 iv been a mobile hairdresser for 12 years, I have a 3 yr old son, iv got 3 clients that are a bit of an issue for me, they live about an hour from me so travelling is horrendous sometimes and tbh aren't great payers, it's my fault as one of them iv known since I started 12 yrs ago and she became a "friend" even though I feel I'm being mugged off a bit as I only see them wen they want hair doin! I know I need to be stronger but I am a bit of a woos and hate confrontation! Iv agreed to do one of their wedding hair June 18th 2015, the prob is my baby is due on the 2nd and I have to have c section so 6 weeks I can't drive, none of them know I'm expecting yet and I'm supposed to be goin there later but I just don't want to! I'm trying to think of every excuse not to, my hubby says I should go and just be honest which I know is right but I feel bad about this wedding malarkey, I know I won't be in a fit state to do it but I'm still thinking well it's 18 days after maybe I'll be ok?!! I put so much pressure on myself all because iv lost the ability to say no!! What is wrong with me?!! I'm hopin u geeks can giv me a kick up the butt!! Iv worked out for them 3 clients (that are in in different houses but around the same area) I earn £80 every 6 weeks so minus travel and products(they have colour) I'm not earning minimum wage! Help!!!!!!

I'd just be honest and tell them you're pregnant (yaaay!) and then say unfortunately your c-section is only planned for 18 days before their wedding meaning you'll be unable to drive to them, and you'll have a new born! But you'd be more than happy to recommend another hairdresser maybe?

If you put it in the way that it isn't even an option because of the circumstances (because it isn't really - even if hubby drives you he'll have to bring new baby etc. it doesn't sound worth it or an option at all!) then it's highly unlikely they'll try to persuade you.

Good luck! X

Hey congratulations!
If I was you I'd cancel, you really don't know how you are going to be feeling so soon after your c section and if you let them know now They will have plenty of time to find someone else or for you to recommend. Your health is more important and I'm sure they'll understand and if not so be it. X

Ahh thank you for ur replies! I know it's the right thing to do its just doin it 😁xx

Ahh thank you for ur replies! I know it's the right thing to do its just doin it 😁xx

Just go for it, like ripping off a plaster! Let us know what she says :) xx

Your health is way more important than any job. I'd be honest with them and just explain you'd rather tell them now as it still leaves them 8months. They'd be nothing worse than you not feeling good after your CSection and cancelling 2 weeks before!
I remember booking a make-up artist for 6 of us for my cousin's wedding. She agreed to come to us etc. on wedding and hen do Anyway, on the morning of the Hen do she never turned up. We called her and she thought we were going to her! The stress it caused being so last minute was ridiculous as the wedding was one week later!
Honesty is the best policy haha

You could tell a bit of a lie and say you c-sec is booked for 18th. They can't moan about that. If they find out after just say it had to be brought forward on docs advice.

I agree that you should just tell them about the baby (big congrats by the way) and you can't travel so soon after a c-section, if any of them have children themselves or know someone who has had babies then they will understand, if not explain you aren't allowed to drive for 6 weeks and not allowed to lift anything (I.e your tool/equipment bag) even a kettle for 3. That's stretching the truth a bit I know but you are advised to be very careful with carrying or lifting. There's plenty of time for them to make alternative arrangements. Best to look after your health and spend the time having lovely baby cuddles 😊

I would tell them and cancel it. I had clients booked in a month after I had my second. I did the first client and instantly regretted it. It was so much hard work and painful. I cancelled the rest of my client's and took 8weeks off after baby.
You need that time to bond and to have time with your other son, not racing around sorting everyone else out and for no thanks. X

Sent from my CUBOT X6 using SalonGeek mobile app

If they are "friends" they will be very pleased for you and totally understand the situation and appreciate that you will have just given birth and NEED time off to enjoy your 1st baby. If they wish to complain that you won't be available then they are not "friends" and not worth having as clients. It's hard to do BUT put yourself FIRST they have time to decide what they want to do about the wedding it's not your fault. Also I totally understand as I am also mobile ( freelance sounds sooo much nicer ) ☺️ Congrats and good luck xx

Latest posts

Back