Pregnant and working for myself...help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meechnails

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I am 4months pregnant and over the moon, my problem is I'm self employed and worried about losing clients once I have the baby!!
I have worked for myself for a long time and built up an amazing client base, I even work from home but am still worried if I take much time off I won't have any business left!!!
I need to come back to work pretty soon after as we rely on my money but Unfortunately I lost my mum in February and no mother in law either so I have no one to ask to help with the baby.
Have any of you been in the same situation??
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

hi honey im sorry to hear about your mum.

i was in a similar situation, i was self employed (mobile) and had to go back to work after baby, i also lost my mum recently (when my daughter was born mum was in the hospice), and my MIL works full time so no childcare. I started working from home in the evenings at about 2 months (baby was a great sleeper thankfully) and then I put my daughter into nursery for 2 days per week when she was 4 months old so i could be mobile again.... which broke my heart but she was absolutly fine. i only lost a few clients, most stayed with me.
Have you considered nursery once baby is big enough? a lot take them from 3 months now, you could go back part time initially if its financially viable?

hope you're enjoying your pregnancy hon, congratulations xxx

Gosh how difficult for you! I was so lucky I went back work 6 days after birth and c section BUT my moved in with me and cooked, cleaned and looked after the baby. Nursery is good but be prepared for the nursery phoning you and claiming their I'll with any sniffle, again I was lucky and had my mum to collect. May be a babysitter who lives nearby would be better. My thoughts are with you ad this must be difficult incidentally I did not lose one client or had a client have to go somewhere else and for my pmc clients they just went on a waiting list. Good luck with it all.

Sorry for the loss of your mum

I too was in the same position when I had my first, I went back to collage when she was 8 weeks ;-( when I had my son I went back to work when he was 3months only part you do what you have 2 not just for your own well being but to provide for your family ;-)

In an ideal world we would all spend more time with our kids but with today's world that's just not always possible

Sorry never finished

Don't worry you will make the best choice for you & baby

Congrats & enjoy xx

I work from home and had my baby 8 months ago. Ok I worked throughout being pregnant, she was 10 days late, I had people booked in on my due date and everyone that booked in about the time know that I may ring and cancel. I worked the day before I had her, I took the Saturday off and that night I went into labour. I sent three days in hospital, and the day I came out I had someone in, only for an eyebrow wax. I went back to work very quick doing small treatments the other half was around. She is a good baby. As she got older it was easier doing little treatments with her in the next room in her bouncer. If someone was in longer than half an hour then I'd make sure my other half was around. It's not easy I do feel guilty but unfortunately I have to work, we need the money. It's been hard work but worth it I've kept all my clients I didn't take new ones on when I was pregnant. Good luck just take it as it comes don't put any pressure in yourself and if anyone moans ignore them, I did get one who wasn't happy but it can't be helped we can't please everyone.

Same story here too, worked 2 weeks over my due date ended up having emergency c section had to go back to work after 6 days.prob lost odd client but who cares as long as you keep the good ones which I hav plenty ! Some clients are just not worth it ! I am sure you will find a balance to suit your loyal clients and yourself !

I would just like to say a HUGE thank you to all of you that replied you have all put my mind at ease!!
Like most of you I was aiming to come straight back to work but many of my friends say it will be far too quick!!
My husband is going to save up the rest of his holiday and take an extra few weeks off after the birth to allow me to go straight back to work and then at 3 months hopefully the baby will go to nursery.

Thanks again for your lovely replies xxx

I understand I'm 5 months difference for me is I have a salon with staff although as the saying goes 'while the cats away!!!'
I have a fantastic childminder who picks my 6 year old up from school she is going to look after baby when I go back I like the fact that in school hours it's pretty much one to one time where as my boy was at nursery and looking back I wish I had put him at a childminders.
I too will be going back quiet early but only really as office work up til Xmas so I can have baby with me! You will work out what is best for you!

Just wanted to say congrats to both of you pregnant ladies!!

I have nothing constructive to add but good luck in your decisions! :) x

Just wanted to say if your clients have known you for a little while already, they will most likely be fine with things about you expecting and the new baby (and love seeing you and the new baby too) - my children are older now but in the past when i've had to change things or had to have them around due to childminder being sick etc (meaning they were in the salon waiting area), most clients are lovely (some even gave them money for sweets/comics!) - as most female clients have either got children themselves, or have grandchildren and understand that nowadays we have to juggle. If anyone moans don't take it to heart most people understand. xxx

Was very helpful to read all your comments, I also work for myself and can't wait to start a family but always have this thought at the back of my mind about how it would all work and how long you take off. Good to know its possible and you've all managed! Good luck with your bumps!! (so jealous!!) x x

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

My hairdresser had 9 months off after her third child was born, I just went somewhere else and when she was back at work, I returned. Sure, I could have stayed going to the salon, but we had built up a relationship, she is lovely and works from home, so I want to support her. She has lots of clients because of how she relates to people. I'm sure if you have built a relationship with your clients they will be loyal too. Hope you're enjoying your pregnancy.

I have just found out I'm pregnant myself and due in dec!! It's my busiest month and like you I don't want to lose clients! My husband is saving his holiday and obviously has paternity leave and I only intend to have the first initial few days off! This will be my third but I'm gonna be jumping straight back in there! I thought I may have a week off beg of jan as most people are sorted or don't mind waiting at that point! It is hard but you gotta do, wot you gotta do! I intend to work around the baby and feeds etc and just take it as it comes! I also work from home!

Latest posts

Back