Pregnant client - face went red with spray tan.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
I had a client today for a spray tan who was 8 weeks pregnant and getting married tomorrow. Shes had a tan with me previously before she was pregnant. I went through the regular things such as tan may not be as desired due to hormonal changes etc etc. She said her midwife had ok'd the spray tan also.
After tanning her, her cheeks went quite red. I mentioned this to her and asked if she felt warm to which she replied only a little. no itching or burning. I noticed a little red patch on her neck too. We gave it a little bit of time, it did calm down but was still slightly visible. She said shes been having a few flushes lately. I said that if she began to get concerned to shower the tan off in an hour. Also to keep an eye for itching or burning. She didnt seem too phased by it. Went away happy with it.

I was just a little concerned she may have a reaction due to being pregnant. Did i do the right thing? Was the redness just a coincidence? I did contact her friend (my fellas sister) to see if she decided to keep the tan on. And yes she did. Im hoping by the morning everything will be ok for her.

I don’t recommend that pregnant women in the first trimester receive any spray tanning. due to hormone levels being all over the place which could cause a patchy tan to develop on some women.

However some women are fine and doing a patch test on a newly pregnant existing client is best.

Hope that helps

Hi I personally won't spray pregnant women possibly due to the fact that when I was pregnant I reacted to a spray tan. My arms came up in blotches and my nose and throat were sore for a week. Since having baby i'm bk to normal.
I suppose i'm just afraid to risk it. It's all down to hormones. Then again i've never patch tested a pregnant woman for tan.
You would be best to patch test in future, I know that I would always patch test for wax, tint etc 48hrs before each treatment when clients are pregnant due to the fluctuation of hormones.
HTH x

I do think spray tanning during pregnancy is down to the individual. Still after offering advice, some clients will still want one.
Ive heard from her this morning and everything was ok. Which I am so glad of, i did worry for her. The redness went down after an hour and her tan turned out great.
Will be offering a patch test in the future.

Glad to hear it's turned out ok :hug:

I do think spray tanning during pregnancy is down to the individual. Still after offering advice, some clients will still want one.
Ive heard from her this morning and everything was ok. Which I am so glad of, i did worry for her. The redness went down after an hour and her tan turned out great.
Will be offering a patch test in the future.

I'm glad it turned out ok hun.
It is not recommended to spray in the first trimester though, check your insurance about this just to be on the safe side.

Some people can get a redness around their neck and face especially when they are stressed or even nervous about being sprayed or being seen in the state of undress, I have seen this many times and I guess there are a few stresses going on right now especially as she is getting ready for her big day.

It may well be due to hormonal reactions due to the pregnancy of it may be purely coincidental. As long as your client was not sore or irritated by the solution, and the midwife has given the all clear that should be fine as long as you follow the manufacturers guidelines.

Well done for being aware and asking for midwife's advice too hun.

Mandy x

Latest posts

Back