Pregnant spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophs999

Reaction score
Hey geeks, please jog my memory on spray tanning newly pregnant clients. She has bkd in but just txt to tell me she just found out. Can't remember off top of my head as havnt had this scenario. ! Thanks in advance.

Not advisable to spray in the first trimester.

I thought that's what it was but just needed confirmation. Thanks!

It will be up to your insurance company. MOST say not to tan in the first 12 weeks but you may have one that says it's fine, you may also have one that doesn't allow tans at any stage of pregnancy. You will have to check with them.

It will be up to your insurance company. MOST say not to tan in the first 12 weeks but you may have one that says it's fine, you may also have one that doesn't allow tans at any stage of pregnancy. You will have to check with them.

Baggy bear, just had to double check this with you, as I always trust your advice. I use nouvatan and they say their solution is fine to use on pregnant ladies all the way through. I phoned my insurance company (Salon Gold - am I right in saying you use them too?) and they told me to check with my supplier as they work on the suppliers guidelines. What I am trying to say is, you have to check suppliers guidelines first and then check with insurance company. Please shout if I am wrong xx

That was sort of what I was saying in my post above but without having gone in to too much detail.

Some insurance companies say not in first 12 weeks. They don't care what the supplier or solution brand say, they just won't risk it in the first 12 weeks.

Some insurance companies say not at all during pregnancy. Again they don't care what the supplier or brand says, they just won't cover you to spray anyone who is pregnant.

Some insurance companies say follow the supplier or brand's guidelines and therefore you could be allowed to tan at any time during pregnancy (even the first 12 weeks) if that is what your supplier or brand says is safe.

I had a spray tan at 20weeks and thanks to hormones the tan didn't develop on my calves. Had a lovely golden glow everywhere else and milk bottle white calves lol.

Nouvatan is always "Safe' to spray tan at any time during pregnancy, the prolem is that often the tan wont develop as the changing hormones affect the levels of amino acids in the skin, its the amino acids reacting with the Dha and erythrolose in our spray tan solutions that causes the maillard reaction which is similar to baking these sugars to brown the skin.
If the levels of amino acids are low as often happens during pregnancy, especiallly during the first trimester. then the tan wont develop.

This is great information. I use fresh indulgence. Not sure if there is a rep from them on here..? I will also check on my insurance tho. :)

This is great information. I use fresh indulgence. Not sure if there is a rep from them on here..? I will also check on my insurance tho. :)

search for Catherine S, i think is her username. She is from fresh indulgence. I use them to, but have always gone by what my insurance company have advised. x

That was sort of what I was saying in my post above but without having gone in to too much detail.

Some insurance companies say not in first 12 weeks. They don't care what the supplier or solution brand say, they just won't risk it in the first 12 weeks.

Some insurance companies say not at all during pregnancy. Again they don't care what the supplier or brand says, they just won't cover you to spray anyone who is pregnant.

Some insurance companies say follow the supplier or brand's guidelines and therefore you could be allowed to tan at any time during pregnancy (even the first 12 weeks) if that is what your supplier or brand says is safe.

Thanks, totally get it now ;-) x

While I was pregnant, my OBGYN would NOT allow me to use self tanner or get a spray tan. She stated it was because of the chemicals. She didn't know if they were absorbed into the skin or not. My sister just had a baby and her OBGYN would not allow her either. They are 2 different doctors. They were also concerned with inhaling the must during spray tanning. Not sure if that's a problem to worry about or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

They don't know what is in the solution so they are playing safe which is fine but the manufacturers & suppliers do know what is in the solution, if they say it's safe then surely that has to be correct as they know. If they lie and something happens they will get sued big time - nobody is going to risk that these days.

Obviously it is better to be safe than sorry but there have never been any deaths or anything else like that proven to have been caused by self tanning and the products have been in use for years & years.

In pregnancy I would always advise that the client make their own mind up but I will follow my insurance guidelines too (I did make sure that I avoided going with an insurance company that dissallowed tanning of pregnant ladies through the entire pregnancy as I feel I should be able to spray them if they do decide to get a spray tan).

They don't know what is in the solution so they are playing safe which is fine but the manufacturers & suppliers do know what is in the solution, if they say it's safe then surely that has to be correct as they know. If they lie and something happens they will get sued big time - nobody is going to risk that these days.

Obviously it is better to be safe than sorry but there have never been any deaths or anything else like that proven to have been caused by self tanning and the products have been in use for years & years.

In pregnancy I would always advise that the client make their own mind up but I will follow my insurance guidelines too (I did make sure that I avoided going with an insurance company that dissallowed tanning of pregnant ladies through the entire pregnancy as I feel I should be able to spray them if they do decide to get a spray tan).

Ditto! And for me that was one of the reasons I changed suppliers too! X

M

Latest posts

Back