Pregnant, will I be able to do my course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_nails

Reaction score
Hey :)

Again just looking for a little advice that i cant seem to find, it is alost as if it is a taboo subject which i feel ridiculous. I have been granted funding, which has helped me choose a decent Nail Tech course, in the mean time i have been putting in 'homework' research etc on all aspects as nails are my passion. However i am into my last trimester of my second pregnancy, and have come across a horrible artical.

Does any1 know if my course will still accept my application whilst pregnant? As i really want to have my qualification before my bubbz is here, and as my son is a little bit older, it is a perfect few months to really get my head down? I had enhancements all the way through with my eldest, and most of the way through with bubba 2 and it was never a problem to the nail tech, but she is not my teacher. Please any help will be appreciated, i cant see it being a problem, but that could be wishful thinking and i really dont want that to be the case.

xxx

Mmmmmm, my thoughts are....

If you know you have no adverse reactions to any enhancement products, then I can't see a problem but it will depend on the colleges T&C's.
I advise you to check the T&C's out BEFORE putting in your application and if it says nothing about pregnancy, then put your application in or ring them and speak with someone high up in the college who will give you the correct info.

Also, please be careful what you believe when you read magazines/news articles etc, a lot of it is not based on scientific proof, it's just scare tactics.
I take the approach now, that if Doug Schoon didn't say it or write it or test it, then until he does and says it's bad, I don't believe what I'm reading.
He is top of this beauty game on the science side of things and he has put to rest SO many myths it's not funny but people still believe the crap they read.
You could always go to FB and find Doug's page, join up with him and ask him this question and he no doubt will answer cause he is always helping in this way. Then if your college starts to come up with false BS reasons why they can't take your application, then show them the truth from Doug.

Good luck hun, I hope it all pans out for you exactly like you planned:hug:

I have just finished my nine month course at college for manicure, pedicures and nail enhancements and in that time two of the women fell pregnant. Our tutor advised that the vapours were safe for pregnancy

Hope this helps

x

During my course 2 girls became pregnant & we also had pregnant clients. Some wore a mask, some didn't. :)

Thank you all for ur advice and help i was really starting to worry. Prob the pregnancy hormones lol! I will defo ring the place on monday morning i think, my fiancée did say to me what do u think happens to qualified girls who work in a shop or salon do u think they just stop work? Which i know see as a silly idea. I know what you mean about the media alot of it is made to scare you, and my midwife had never mentioned them as bad or unhealthy for baby. There was this thing on fb that said if i didnt even consider to ask if it was ok made me selfish horrible and a bad mum etc etc!!! And i suppose thats what stuck in my head and made me question it. Again thank u for your help and suggestions. Xxx

Firstly, Congratulations, how exciting!

Secondly, I think in this day & age practically EVERTHING comes with a warning, just so people cover themselves, because as we all know if anything goes wrong people will sue.
So, although you will have to be careful with certain things, dont let everything you hear/read worry you x:hug:x

What a nasty comment for someone to write on facebook, how untrue & horrible! :hug:

From what I have be taught there shouldn't be a problem doing enhancements while pregnant. I did them for a short time while pregnant.

Are you from Hamilton, NZ?

I have had 2 babies in the past 19 months, both were perfectly healthy and still are. I have been a nail tech for nearly 8 years now and would never have done anything to endanger those precious lives I took so long to make.

Be sure where you are working is well ventilated and you take plenty of breaks. The only problem I had was pedicures. I could not bend in that position for as long as needed, the baby was to much in the way. Clients were very understanding.

Good luck and congratulations!

Thank you all for ur advice and help i was really starting to worry. Prob the pregnancy hormones lol! I will defo ring the place on monday morning i think, my fiancée did say to me what do u think happens to qualified girls who work in a shop or salon do u think they just stop work? Which i know see as a silly idea. I know what you mean about the media alot of it is made to scare you, and my midwife had never mentioned them as bad or unhealthy for baby. There was this thing on fb that said if i didnt even consider to ask if it was ok made me selfish horrible and a bad mum etc etc!!! And i suppose thats what stuck in my head and made me question it. Again thank u for your help and suggestions. Xxx

Thats an awful thing to say !!! .. Like everyone else hsa kindly said, it is perfectly safe to continue working or training as a nail tech whilst pregnant, even pregnancy is not deemed as a contraindication to having them on your nails..

I am now 28 weeks pregnant and am still working hunni, the only thing i found i had a problem with is smells.. couldnt even bear nail polish smell.. as had severe sickness for liek 5-7 weeks.. i did stop my mobile work for a few weeks only because of the sickness.. but once that passsed i was back and working.. although not mobile now as to big and bad back lol.. am setting up from home..

just remember the most important things, like posture, making sure you dont sit or stand for too long, give yourself time to eat properly, plenty of fluids.. if you cant stand smells or working with acrylic you can even use a face mask and be well ventilated... i did for a few times, my clients were so understanding even when i had to cancel and re-book due to sick periods..

you will be just fine hunni.. enjoy your training and more importantly enjoy your pregnancy

Sarah x

Again thank you all for your advice and help. And for your congratulations. I will let u all know what they say. Also thank you for tips to do with masks etc, as i am bothered badly by sickness and certain smells etc set it off! I just cant wait to get my teeth into it all i am soo excited! I have been busy in my own time with nail art brushes and paints varnish's doing all diff techniques designs marbling etc i love it!! Cant wait to get to the whole acrylic gel side of things. 1 thing i do need to ask is how easy it is to obtain insurance when working from home/mobile? Or if it depends on which qualification u get etc? Xxxx

From what I have be taught there shouldn't be a problem doing enhancements while pregnant. I did them for a short time while pregnant.

Are you from Hamilton, NZ?

Nope Hamilton Scotland :)! I didnt even know there was one in NZ! Im not good with geography hehe!
xx

Latest posts

Back