Pregnant with second child, maternity leave

NadiaH28

Hi everyone..just really looking to see how everyone else worked their mat leave.

With my first pregnancy I rushed back after 8 weeks as was so scared to loose my hair clients, I also had clients messaging me basically saying they will need to just go elsewhere if I was off any longer(looking back now I wish I had just let them)

I’m now pregnant with my second child so their will be a gap of 2 years 6 months between my children. I just don’t really know how to work mat leave this time or how I would really manage coping with working until by eldest is at nursery.

I’m just wondering how everyone else worked it or if anyone took a break from their hairdressing to focus on their family? :)

thanks x

TheOracle

Are you employed? Rent a chair? Full time?

Do you work similar to anyone else that you know? Is there anyone else in your salon that you get on with?

Please could you describe your actual situation? Several colleagues over the years have had the same dilemma.

NadiaH28

Are you employed? Rent a chair? Full time?

Do you work similar to anyone else that you know? Is there anyone else in your salon that you get on with?

Please could you describe your actual situation? Several colleagues over the years have had the same dilemma.
I’m self employed and I’m a freelance hairdresser so I don’t have anyone else that could take over until I’m back

TheOracle

I'm sorry, I meant to come back to you sooner.

You're in a position to please yourself, but of course you want to keep your clients.
One of my ex colleagues had one Saturday a month at a clients house, and 4 or 5 of that clients friends came too.
They'd wash their own hair, either before or to wash their colour off.

Could you possibly find a friendly salon who would host you once or twice a month? Then you'd only have to ensure childcare for those days.

What is your situation regarding childcare? Is it only possible evenings and weekends? What are your future plans for your hair business? Are you looking to grow, or expand? Are all your clients from word of mouth or have you worked for them?

I think you probably need to plan now what you're prepared to offer your current clients and how that would work, and have an idea of what you'd ideally like to be doing, and how that might look.

This could even be a good opportunity to prune your client base of those you're not that keen on....