Preparing For An Interview - Portfolio & CV Requirements.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I tried to word the title of this thread in such a way that it will help peeps if a search is done for the above words. I hope the thread helps not only me but anybody else preparing for an interview.

Ok, yesterday I posted that I have been invited for an interview to study Beauty Therapy at Champneys College. My last formal interview was years ago in another country, so I really need help here please.

What are the portfolio and CV (Curriculum vitae) requirements and how do I go about it? I think I prepared my last CV in 1991! How should I present my certificates? What can I expect in the interview?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

These are questions sent to my daughter that she has had to fill out for the oaklands nvq 2 beauty therapy course.
Why have you chosen this course
What qualities do you think you need to successfully complete the course
What are you likely to find easy
what are you likely to find more difficult
describe any work experience
what are your careerambitions

These are questions sent to my daughter that she has had to fill out for the oaklands nvq 2 beauty therapy course.
Why have you chosen this course
What qualities do you think you need to successfully complete the course
What are you likely to find easy
what are you likely to find more difficult
describe any work experience
what are your careerambitions
Thank you Gillian. I appreciate your reply.

Just bumping this again folks. I really am asking for some help here. There are loads of geeks here in the beauty industry who must have had interviews and be able to answer my queries?

sometimes they wil ask your best and worst qualities which is hard because who wants to say o yeah im really bad at.....

once when i went to an interview i was asked 'if i were to ask your best friend all aout you how would they describe you' i think thats a good one. they might ask you about expereinces which you have had that will either apply to things you will do on the course or may you suitable for the course. they will usually ask 'why do you want to do this course'
what is it about the beauty industry that you particulary enjoy
do you see yourself as a leader or a follower (i had this one in a job interview)
cant think of any more at the mo but i will let you know if i can think of any more. i have a job interview on thursday so all this is in my mind at the moment as well

tori x

oohh sorry - and regarding the c.v ect. i usually make one up on the computer there is a document template for it in word and all you have to do is change it to your details - pm me if you want me to e-mail you mine to see what i mean!!
maybe put certificates ect in one of these document holder things with the plastic wallets in you can get tehm from wh smiths and stationery shops:)

I did two interviews for the CIBTAC course. One at The London School of Beauty and Make-up (where I chose to go) and one for The Ray Cochraine School in London. They were informal interviews. Most of the people on the courses were quite young (although there were also mature students) so had not ever made up c.vs!!! I just went with myself no c.v no certificates. They just wanted to chat to me about why I wanted to do the course, what qualifications I had, why I chose their school, had I looked at any others and most importantly how would I like to pay!!!

As they are private schools they just want to check you can speak o.k english and are good for the money (sorry to be cynical). The Ray Cochraine school did give me a little test on anatomy after handing me an information sheet to try to memorise, which seemed strange, but I think she was just checking I could write and that I could take instruction and learn when she corrected any mistakes. She also gave the impression she would quickly scare you off if she thought you were not going to want to study as she wanted to keep their pass rates high. The LSBM just wanted to show me around and impress me then made it clear that I needed to decide quickly as they had lots of people wanting the places.

If they didn't tell you to bring anything then don't worry too much about it. If you have a C.V take it along if not then I wouldn't worry about it.

:lol:

I didnt have an interview when I went to college for beauty, just a telephone chat!

I would imagine that they would expect you to answer why they should give the course place to you as oppossed to somebody else.

You just need to show your enthusiasm, dedication and commitment to make the most of the course and you will be fine.

x x x

Just remember, you will have the life skills and life experiences that many of the others wont have.

Hi, during my interview for the course i'm on, I had to write down why i thought i deserved a place on the course as there were 350+ applicants and 32 places. I also got asked if having a child (daughter aged 4) would affect my attendance or timekeeping - in otherwards was childcare an issue. A cv outlining your qualifications, job history(past 5 yrs), references etc.hth

Hey hun, I agree with what's already been said above.

Interview wise, just be ready and have an idea of what you will say in answer to their questions, which will most likely be along the lines of "What attracts you to Beauty Therapy?" "Why do you deserve a place on the course?" "What experience/skills do you already have that may aid your path into Beauty Therapy?"....that sorta thing.

Just keep your answers brief and to the point, no need to ramble or gush. Remember it's okay to be nervous, they will expect it of you if you really want that place on their course.

Remember to tout yourself, but you don't have to talk about yourself the whole time; you can ask the interviewer questions as well regards the course.

Regards your CV, you should be able to find a template on Word or the like. If not, try this place CV Writing for a bit of help.

The only tip I have on CVs (which I nicked from my friend who is head of recruitment of cabin crew for BA) is to put your name in bold right across the top of your CV. That way, when your CV is filed, it is still easily found and stands out from the rest. But bear in mind I said bold, not huge....you don't want to appear an egomaniac :green:

Thank you all for your replies. i really do appreciate it. :hug:

Agree with everything thats already said.

Also its a good idea to say why you want to go to their college, high standards, products used etc. I think it shows that you have really done your research & that you have choosen them as you believe them to be the best etc.

Have they asked you for a CV ?

Agree with everything thats already said.

Also its a good idea to say why you want to go to their college, high standards, products used etc. I think it shows that you have really done your research & that you have choosen them as you believe them to be the best etc.

Have they asked you for a CV ?
No they have not Bombini, although they have requested that I bring my certificates. I am thinking a CV would be good as this looks like I have a professional approach.

What would be the best way to present my certificates. A friend suggested plastic pouches, but this does not look very professional surely?

No they have not Bombini, although they have requested that I bring my certificates. I am thinking a CV would be good as this looks like I have a professional approach.

What would be the best way to present my certificates. A friend suggested plastic pouches, but this does not look very professional surely?

I keep mine in a display book ? Its basically 20 plastic wallets binded together with a black cover.

I keep mine in a display book ? Its basically 20 plastic wallets binded together with a black cover.
Thank you. Golly, I'm useless at this. Out of practise, lol xx

Latest posts

Back