Prepigment before balayage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennii

Reaction score
I qualified in hairdressing NVQ level 3 over a year ago, but I'm a bit rusty on matching colours and prepigment. I would really appreciate some help. I mainly know just Wella because that's what I trained with.

Basically my client has platinum blonde hair wants a reverse balayage to break up the blonde and bring her natural colour down a bit further.

View media item 64947
View media item 64948
At the moment her hair is mostly a level 10 with pieces of 9.
Would you say she is naturally a base 7?

She wants her base colour brought down a bit and then she likes the look of 8/1 for the rest of her hair but she wants to keep a few pieces of her current blonde at the ends. She sent me these photos as ideas she liked:

View media item 64949
View media item 64950
I'm confused how to go about the pre pig.
In college we often used perfecton for prepig but I'm worried that will be too messy, especially since she wants to keep some of the blonde she currently has.
In college I also had to do lowlights on someone and had the pre pig mix in one bowl and then put the dye straight on top. (I can't remember when we used but maybe it was Koleston perfect and water?)
I don't know what would be the best if I'm doing more of a balayage/freehand method.

Last edited:
I qualified in hairdressing NVQ level 3 over a year ago, but I'm a bit rusty on matching colours and prepigment. I would really appreciate some help. I mainly know just Wella because that's what I trained with.

Basically my client has platinum blonde hair wants a reverse balayage to break up the blonde and bring her natural colour down a bit further.

View media item 64947
View media item 64948
At the moment her hair is mostly a level 10 with pieces of 9.
Would you say she is naturally a base 7?

She wants her base colour brought down a bit and then she likes the look of 8/1 for the rest of her hair but she wants to keep a few pieces of her current blonde at the ends. She sent me these photos as ideas she liked:

View media item 64949
View media item 64950
I'm confused how to go about the pre pig.
In college we often used perfecton for prepig but I'm worried that will be too messy, especially since she wants to keep some of the blonde she currently has.
In college I also had to do lowlights on someone and had the pre pig mix in one bowl and then put the dye straight on top. (I can't remember when we used but maybe it was Koleston perfect and water?)
I don't know what would be the best if I'm doing more of a balayage/freehand method.

For the first picture I would use colour touch 7/0 +6/71 on the very root, blend it in to ct 8/38 and keep out lighter pieces.
The second picture I would use ct 7/97 +6/71 at the root and then use ct 7/97 from the root to mid lengths and then use ct 10/6 on the m.l.e on the lighter sections. I hope this helps.

For the first picture I would use colour touch 7/0 +6/71 on the very root, blend it in to ct 8/38 and keep out lighter pieces.
The second picture I would use ct 7/97 +6/71 at the root and then use ct 7/97 from the root to mid lengths and then use ct 10/6 on the m.l.e on the lighter sections. I hope this helps.
These are based on no pre pigment.

Pictures won't load for me but it sounds like Ronray has given sound advice based off of your description!

Thanks for the reply! Any idea how I would go about prepigging before this?

Thanks for the reply! Any idea how I would go about prepigging before this?
The usual method recommended by wella is to use Perfecton. But you could also use colour mousse. I would probably use mousse and dispense it in to a bowl and apply with a brush on the areas where the darker colours will be applied. If you put copper, or gold on the ends you will lose the cool tones that you're wanting to achieve. Personally I don't think I would pre pig. It'll be difficult, time consuming, and probably messy. The formulas suggested above should be ample, with out pre pigmenting.

The usual method recommended by wella is to use Perfecton. But you could also use colour mousse. I would probably use mousse and dispense it in to a bowl and apply with a brush on the areas where the darker colours will be applied. If you put copper, or gold on the ends you will lose the cool tones that you're wanting to achieve. Personally I don't think I would pre pig. It'll be difficult, time consuming, and probably messy. The formulas suggested above should be ample, with out pre pigmenting.

Ok thank you for the suggestion!

Just wondering what colour I should use to match my clients current roots. Was worried a 7 is too light but a 6 is too dark. Should I do half of each?

Just wondering what colour I should use to match my clients current roots. Was worried a 7 is too light but a 6 is too dark. Should I do half of each?
Yeah Half and half :)

She seems quite ashy naturally. But if I'm not prepigmenting should I do like 6/3 + 7/3 since it's over level 10 hair? Or would /3 add too much warmth.

She seems quite ashy naturally. But if I'm not prepigmenting should I do like 6/3 + 7/3 since it's over level 10 hair? Or would /3 add too much warmth.
I'd opt for 2 parts 6/71 +1 part 7/97 +1.9%

I'd opt for 2 parts 6/71 +1 part 7/97 +1.9%
Thanks!! :)

She likes the look of 8/1 in KP. Didn't realise there's no 8/1 CT. Do you know what I can use over her midlengths that will come out looking similar to the 8/1 KP swatch?

Latest posts

Back