Press-on nails for fashion work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helsbels227

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently finished my training in nails (and am absolutely loving it!). I'm already a make-up artist so am hoping to get some beauty shoots done over the next couple of months incorporating nails as well so I've got some portfolio work to show to agencies.

I'd really appreciate some advice on temporary nails if anyone can help please? I know press-on nails are used a lot in editorial work and at Fashion Week but I've never used them before. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice on safe and quick application/ removal, whether it's best to use sticky pads or glue and whether there are any brands of press-ons that are particularly good for this kind of work? Would

Thanks a lot everyone, H. xx

You can do 'weekend' nails, which are tips glued, and blended and then a resin coat, for strength and then varnish. They are supposed to last just 1 day. But blend well so the ridge doesn't show.

You can use any full coverage tip (I have bought mine anywhere nail polish is sold in a pinch for a shoot), and glue dots from a craft store to attach them to the nail- it keeps you from damaging the nail, makes removal painless for you AND the model (which she will greatly appreciate!), and allows you to paint the nails in advance- preventing nail smudges and other set problems. I advise doing a full set, 2 of each size of tip, unless you are able to pre-size your models nails in advance. And always size just SLIGHTLY larger than the nail, it helps the surrounding skin look flawless, and the nails more natural ;)

Heather Davis
Team CND Global Education Ambassador

Fantastic, thanks so for your replies both!

Thanks Heather. Would be great to have the nails prepared before I go to the shoot as will be doing the make-up too so wanted to make changes as quick as pos plus would allow me to do something more intricate at home. Have ordered my sticky dots already! And thanks for the tips on sizing and application. Amazing, just what I needed to know. Thanks so much, really appreciate it, will let you know how I get on!

Thanks W1nnie for your info too! Although will probably go for the full cover option when I organise the shoot being as I'll be painting faces too and might be pushed for time, my sister will LOVE the idea of weekend nails, am definitely going to do some on her! She's a nurse so can only have enhancements for her hols so she'll be a very willing model! Thanks so much again girls, really appreciate the tips and excited to try both out! Xx

I've been looking for something similar myself! I'd love to take professional shots of my design nails but I was just wondering does anyone have any good full coverage press on nails they would recommend that look most natural? I've tried a few and I think they look fake :( Also does anyone have any tips on how to apply them to make them look their best? Thankyou

Latest posts

Back