price increase ?(bit of an experiment )

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee

supernatural geek
Reaction score
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
i read some thing the other day and it made good sense to me (lol rare that happens ) someone had put their prices up by quite a lot and not lost hardly any customers , and gained lots of new ones into the bargain ! plus she said a few techs in town had upped their prices too , which brings it back up to good level for fellow techs in the town , instead of everyone beating each others prices down
now i dont charge a huge amount for my nails coz i was never really happy with them but have been doing more and feel a lot better about em now , but since starting my business have been of the "be competitive ":?: mind and sometimes have done sets for 20 quid:( , to try get more customers , but this doesnt happen :confused:
now i have decided that there are a lot of people that think coz you pay an obscene amount of money for things then it must be better (this is fuelled by meeting some people etc.. )
and so as my business is really quiet i am gonna take the risk and change my prices , :lol: and see what happens , i cant lose anything coz i can always say they are on offer etc.. but just to see what happens really

so do you all think i am daft ?
or have you come in contact with people like the "ive paid a fortune so it must be good "

I'd say, if you don't feel you have anything to lose then go for it hun! Are you going to put them up by much?

I'll be interested to know how this pans out.

i am linking this kind of thinking and to be honest i do agree with it.

Im not the most expensive but im by no means the cheapest!

Give it a go you dont have any thing to loose ! and £20 is WAY WAY to cheap i would wonder what i was going to get for £20 !

Let us know the outcome !

amb x

Loads of people complain that they do x amount of hours for little pay and I know a lot of business people who have done exactly the same, one man I know doubled his prices and he still gets plenty of customers, too many infact as he has to turn them away. He does one-off services so he doesn't have regulars.
You may lose a few regulars but you may also gain lots of new ones.
I'm afraid I'm one of those people who tend to go for the middle price range or top rather than the lowest.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

There's no harm in trying is there Dee?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Loads of people complain that they do x amount of hours for little pay and I know a lot of business people who have done exactly the same, one man I know doubled his prices and he still gets plenty of customers, too many infact as he has to turn them away. He does one-off services so he doesn't have regulars.
You may lose a few regulars but you may also gain lots of new ones.
I'm afraid I'm one of those people who tend to go for the middle price range or top rather than the lowest.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I'm going to show this to my hubby when I get home. He's a bugger for not putting up his prices!:rolleyes:

If I feel that someone would be a good advertiser I will give them a full set free, tell them to try them promote my work and if you like it and want to keep up with it, its their responsibility.. I have gained a lot of clients that way.. I only do that because I can afford to right now, if I was only doing nails it would be a different story! I also pin point clients who have ridge problems or discoloration problems.. I have a client who works with coffee all day and when her nails grew out you could see her stained nails underneith.. So I have tried the custom blended manicure on them.. Every person but one, that I have tried this on has stuck with it.. That means more money for their rebalances!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving deals. But I say be picky on who you give deals to, I usually make sure I know them before hand and that they will be appreciative and supportive..

But as far as raising prices, heck yeah! Go for it.. As soon as I get my new nail girl making nice smile lines and a good apex. My prices are going up a lot!! As I don't want us charging differently..

I will be really interested in how you get on with this Dee. Go for it I say :)

Give it a try! I charge £55.00 for a full-set and have lots of clients even though there is a place on the corner that charges £20. If people like the treatment and service they will pay more.
Good Luck!

I totally agree with the "I paid more for it so it must be better" line of thinking. Paying more also encourages people to take better care. People who can afford to pay more usually have more disposable income to buy other retail items. (of course you must have the skills to back the charge!)

I raised my prices and lost a couple of cheapskates who always moaned at the cost anyway, specially if they needed a replacement nail and had to pay even more!! and made me feel uncomfortable :irked:. But I gained much better clients who recommend me regularly:)

You watch what happens. You will be glad you did this. :hug:

i'm toward the upper end of costs in my town, and i have as many clients as i want. its fairly rare that i take on new clients. but prices in my town are pretty low because there are a lot of nail techs offering services here.

if i raise my prices i would feel that it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to the ladies who have been with me since i started and have supported me all that time.

so for those of you who have raised the costs of services have you felt like me ? i clearly cant charge the same as i do now for ever and ever:lol:

Good luck Dee.. I say go for it to see how it pans out. I am also very quiet for the last two weeks which is a bit un-nerving after being so busy over the summer. I did put my prices up in June so I don't think I could do it again now.

I think it must be a quiet period for a lot of techs.

Keep us all informed of the outcome :)

I know some people are cheapskates but I also hate letting clients down so I put prices up and keep regular clients on the old prices!!!

Why do I do this??:irked:

As your full sets are too cheap, then i would definitely raise them. Just be careful with how much you raise across the board..eg reb/refills. You dont want to lose your faithfull clients..i would be inclined to just raise those a tad..and always charge for breaks..clients who are decent dont mind at all..and you should find this will help bring in a bit more money:) But yeah, definitley raise those full sets ( dont apologise for it either!)..this wont affect your good regs too much..and make those who trash their nails pay for it..when i did this i found so many clients nails stopped "falling off" and many changed to two weekly.

wow thanks for all the advice guys , i have increased em on my website but will give my regulars a % discount , but hopefully any new ones wont know how cheap i was , lol
i am also upgrading my freewebs account , so i can have a website without the freewebs bit in it , coz although its got me clients i think its time to upgrade ,
and am gonna also get off my ass and do some flyers with my new prices on but with a discount , so i will hopefully get some new ones that think they are getting a really good bargain :green:
so we shall see what the next few weeks bring !! (hopefully a few clients , :lol:)

We have a price increase every 1st October (my quite time of year), we all sit down end of September staff meeting & review prices, some treatments stay the same, some increase by 50p - £1, I encourage staff to come up with answers if regular customers have any moans about the small increase, they all come up with great answers for example 'Our product costs have gone up' - with a smile:)
On the 1st of October pricelists are changed over & this week staff may charge regulars old prices (as if they're doing them a favour)and tell them that next time it will be x amount.
Were not the cheapest salon in the town - but hey after all the training I've been through the last think I want to be known as is cheap!!!
Good luck with increase...let the dollars roll in baby!:)

I will post my new prices about 6 weeks in advance. If anyone moans about it I just tell them that the prices for everything go up. And everybody else gets raises every year, so why shouldn't I? I only raise prices every few years but I might do it every year now.

Latest posts

Back