Price increases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieBug

Reaction score
Hiya

Little bit of advice!

I have been a self employed mobile beauty and holistic therapist for quite a number of years now. I haven't done a price increase in over 10 years and feel that this now needs to be done.

Has anyone done this recently and/or does anyone have any advice. How do you communicate this? Will I lose customers. For example I am thinking of changing my £18, 35 minutes reflexology to £20 and same for my massage.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Katie

There's lots of posts about price increases and how to do it. I find the best was is to pick a day, 1st March for instance and every client you see between now and then let know that the prices are 'changing' - not increasing. No need to apologise or justify it, just a friendly 'just to let you know there's a price change from 1st March, here's a new price list...right..have you got you booked in for your next appointment?'

Think about how you deal with Sainsburys/tesco/whoever putting their prices up, you don't expect a huge announcement, they just do it - same for you

Thank you, I tried to do a search but couldn't see but i'll have another look. Thank you for your reply.

I did a price increase on 1st February on some of my treatments, just by a £1-£2.
I just notified all my clients a couple of weeks before that there was an increase & all were ok with it.

I give my clients advanced warning about a "New pricelist" I don't call it a price increase. I always make sure that my price list has the date of effect , so usually january for me.
It is never a general % increase it just follows what teatments I feel need the rise, so it doesn't affect every appointment.
katie Bug , I do think your reflexology is too cheap. When I did my training we always made it into a special teatment lasting an hour. Starting with a beautiful spa foot soak , then reflexology treatment , and the followed with a foot and leg massage. The charge in my area is about £30 so good returns if you can get the clients. As you could add extra service to the treatment , you would definately be able to "upgrade" your prices.
It is always difficult increasing the existing clients that have had the benefit of low prices for ages , but new clients will start on the new price and that will be better for you. You have worked hard to get qualified and I hope you manage to achieve your price rise.
Don't sell yourself short, you need to earn a decent amount for all your experience. Every one else has a wage rise, you need it too!
Good luck and be brave xx

Hi @KatieBug,

Price increases can be a sensitive subject as mentioned in all of the above. People never want to pay more - however it is essential for you to make money on your treatments and not be running at a loss. I imagine the cost of purchasing your stock has increased for you in the 10 year period - so your prices need to reflect that.

It may be worth mentioning to your existing clients that you haven't put them up in all that time if any do query it. I imagine most would be surprised and happily pay the adjusted rate, knowing they have had such a good deal for so long!

As @Trinity said - don't apologise or justify it, you have a business to run at the end of the day! Good luck!

When i do an increase i tend to use "Due to inflation" .....which to be fair it is due to this. Clients understand this. But to be honest 10years with no increase I'd like to think they'd understand anyways [emoji846]

Hiya

Little bit of advice!

I have been a self employed mobile beauty and holistic therapist for quite a number of years now. I haven't done a price increase in over 10 years and feel that this now needs to be done.

Has anyone done this recently and/or does anyone have any advice. How do you communicate this? Will I lose customers. For example I am thinking of changing my £18, 35 minutes reflexology to £20 and same for my massage.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Katie

As long as you are getting paid your worth for your time and the cost of your products on top, you don’t need to feel scared. Everyone employed usually gets a nice pay rise in april and I feel we are no different.

I always check everything once a year now and although most product prices increase, my skills have too so I’m worth more money. The odd person will get the arse with it and not come back until they get something cheap and it’s messed up; or moan once or twice and forget about it. I would rebook them and at the same time say ‘just to let you know there is a price change coming next month. I’ve fended it off as long as I can for you but I need to cover my products. It will be x amount.’ Then change it online and leaflets and then remind them when they come in next time rather than at the end. New clients won’t have known any lower price so a sign etc isn’t necessary.

Latest posts

Back