Price inflation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle0904

Reaction score
how come the beauty industry is one of the only industries were prices never go up, the cost of treatments has never risen from when I first had my nails done 12 years ago, in fact some places even do it cheaper now, surely with the min wage going up a lot since then and obviously product costs will have increased, how do these salons do it

its only really come to my attention when thinking as a self employed nail tech, my income will never go beyond a certain amount

sorry if im a bit slow and if this question has been posted several times :o

I think it's because it's a heavily saturated market. A lot of people get drawn in to 'doing it cheaper than the place up the road' mentality. This drives down margins of course and the standard pricing in general.

I think if you are good you can just stick prices that are fair (even if above others in your area) as if you are better than the rest people don't mind paying a premium.

It's the same in printing funny enough. Paper goes up every year, ink goes up, wages etc. It's all about the bottom dollar to a lot of people, and rightly so in some cases, but there are a million and one printers out there who technically speaking all offer the same thing. Some have better customer service etc but other than that it's hard to tell them apart and that's when comes down to price. The likes of Vista Print really smashed our market and put a lot of smaller businesses out of business rightly or wrongly. They broke the mould by selling em cheap, stack em high mentality in regards to the quality and weird sizing they use.

We often get asked for discounts etc and I feel we are one of the cheapest in the country for a lot of our bits and pieces and along with our service we are great value so generally speaking it's a case of this is the price. Would you like to take us up on it or not.

Business is business as they say!

p.s. sorry that was a long one ha

I think you set your own price and attract the clientele if you are worth it. We charge £26 for a basic shellac manicure, and £35 for a shellac spa manicure. We are booked with no problems. Shellac Pedicure can go up to £55, again, we are booked for that too.

Many posts on here suggest selling based on quality and not on price, and many geeks on here say that they are selling quality, but it's all in the eyes of the client whether they truly are getting quality or not. Too many geeks 'self-assess', the best person to tell you if you are delivering a job that is worth more money is definitely the client. If they aren't coming in and favour the cheaper person down the road it probably means that you need to look at what you're offering again.

I think it's the same with a lot of industries, especially selling retail. China has made a big impact with retail. But it's down to profit and if your costs go down you can make more profit.

I think that often people don't put prices up for ages so when they do it can be a big hike. Whereas if prices are put up every year by a small amount clients accept it as the norm.

I have started telling my clients that my prices are going up from the 1st October. One of my clients said 'Well I think you're wrong. My husband hasn't had a pay rise for 4 years'. I explained that my suppliers priced have increased over that time, and although my other prices had gone up, my waxing prices haven't increased in about 3 years. I didn't enter into a debate with her. She said she may have to come less often which is fair enough. She cancelled her next appointment with me and hasn't rebooked. I don't think she realises the prices haven't increased yet!

I agree that little and often is the way to go. My hairdresser used to do an annual increase which I accepted. If your clients are happy with you, a pound here or there won't change that. Bargain hinters will always be bargain hunters.

I go to a proper printers for my printing jobs because I want a good job done, and I know cheaper isn't always going to be better for me, and I think a lot of my clients feel the same!

Latest posts

Back