price list - is this too much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi, ive been having a look around at prices for manicures and pedicures where I am and have attempted to make my own price list!! Could you wonderful peeps have a look at it for me and give me your honest opinions.....

• Full manicure (includes: cleanse, file, cuticles, exfoliating scrub, hand & arm massage, buffing nails to smooth and shine, polish) £13.50
  • Mini Manicure (includes: cleanse, file, pushing cuticles back, moisturising, file & polish) £9.50
  • File and Polish Only - £7.00
  • Luxury Manicure - £18.50 same as full but includes treatment from list below...
Treatments:
  • Thermal Mitts, Hot oil, salt scrub, paraffin wax, moisture mask - £7 each on their own
..... or If hands and feet are to both recieve treatment then the cost is £13 (instead of £14)

• Pedicure - includes soak in foot spa + cleanse, exfoliate, feet & lower leg massage, nail shape and polish - £15.00
  • Luxury Pedicure - includes above, plus hard skin removal and treatment from treatment list (client will be advised which will suit their needs) - £20.00
  • Mini Pedicure - feet cleansed and moisturised, nails filed and polished - £11.00
  • File and Polish Only - £7.00 or £12.50 for f&p on hands and feet together..
I have no idea what people will think of these prices and whether you'll think they are too much or not enough etc..
I have looked around at what other mobile's charge and prices vary from £12.50 - £18.00 for a full mancure, and £20 - £30 for luxury, £8 - £10 for file and polish,
pedicures go from £15 - £20, luxury peds from £16 - £30!, mini ped )only found 2 people doing them - £15)..... The prices are so varied, i dont want to start too high and not get any clients and i dont want to start too low and end up staying low!!

i actually think your prices are too low for your area, i charge £23 for full manicure, and im up north flower - you find its dearer in the south than up north. for your luxury manicure i would add alot more flower - at least £10. dont go with what others are charging flower, they could be using different products to you, and may not be as luxurious as yours

but thats only my opinion chick - and also

what products are you using? as this will make a difference, i use cnd products, so the prices ive given are for cnd products

the other thing i was going to do was offer a 10% discount or free treatment to clients when they refer a friend and the friend has a manicure or pedicure - what do you think?
Ive had quite a few people asking about have man & peds but im wondering whether they will really do it now im going to charge full price (i was training before so couldnt charge much!):eek:

Thanks for your reply! I will look at that, i guess im just a bit nervous about the whole prices thing!

i actually think your prices are too low for your area, i charge £23 for full manicure, and im up north flower - you find its dearer in the south than up north. for your luxury manicure i would add alot more flower - at least £10. dont go with what others are charging flower, they could be using different products to you, and may not be as luxurious as yours

but thats only my opinion chick - and also

what products are you using? as this will make a difference, i use cnd products, so the prices ive given are for cnd products
I agree with Glynis...alot of work goes into a minicure,and i charge £25...if i add thermal mitts or bootees,then its another fiver,so thats 30 for a manicure,or 35 for a pedicure.

Im in the south and the prices reflect this.
I see in your profile you do OPI,so i should charge accordingly,as they are professional products.....although ive found out nail envy is sold in Boots:irked:...but thats another story so dont get me started there...LOL

:eek: Ok, thank you!! Im glad i came on here now! Like i said, im sooo nervous and its hard trying to get an idea by looking around as the prices vary so much.. I have had another go and adapted the prices.. Dont know if ive gone over the top now though or is it about right?? Sorry to keep on - just want to start off right...

• Full manicure (includes: cleanse, file, cuticles, exfoliating scrub, hand & arm massage, buffing nails to smooth and shine, polish) £18.50
  • Mini Manicure (includes: cleanse, file, pushing cuticles back, moisturising, file & polish) £15.00
  • File and Polish Only - £10.00
  • Luxury Manicure - £23.50 same as full but includes treatment from list below...
Treatments:
  • Thermal Mitts, Hot oil, salt scrub, paraffin wax, moisture mask - £7? each on their own
..... or If hands and feet are to both recieve treatment then the cost is £13 (instead of £14)

• Pedicure - includes soak in foot spa + cleanse, exfoliate, feet & lower leg massage, nail shape and polish - £23.50
  • Luxury Pedicure - includes above, plus hard skin removal and treatment from treatment list (client will be advised which will suit their needs) - £28.00
  • Mini Pedicure - feet cleansed and moisturised, nails filed and polished - £16.00 ?
  • File and Polish Only - £10.00 or £17.50 for f&p on hands and feet together..

I guaged it on any other treatment that took around the same time to do ie: get a per hour price in your head and work from that then allow for products. Think about it, a full manicure can take as long as a full body massage which uses less products. Hope this helps.

hi, ive just rang around some local salons and their prices are slightly cheaper than mobile therapists. Is this generally the case or could it be that ive just rang a few that just charge less?:eek: My husband is moaning at me saying i should charge a little less or go on the salon prices as id get more customers, but like i said before, i dont want to go to low and would like to make a profit at some point!!

Hi,

Your first price list you posted is about the same as what we charge in the salon. You really need to sit down and work out what each treatment cost you first. you need to work out product costs, travel costs ( incl milege etc) and your hourly rate and work from there. There is nothing wrong with starting slightly lower and re-assessing your prices agin in 6 months when you have built your business. It is all trial and error :)

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with starting slightly lower and re-assessing your prices agin in 6 months when you have built your business. It is all trial and error :)

Sorry to disagree, but I would advise you to price higher, and make special offers etc if you need to. It is incredibly difficult to raise prices, especially when you are trying to establish yourself. And I speak from experience :rolleyes: If you price higher, you are establishing yourself as a top-end premium brand and people will be delighted if you do make offers and consider that they are getting a bargain (which they will be).

Mobile is hard work. You do have your costs, and it takes time to pack up, drive to and set up in peoples homes not to mention packing up again to come back. You have added annoyances like dogs being let out, kids trying to root through your stuff, people taking phone calls, etc which salons don't have to put up with, you are out often in the dark and cold during unsociable hours, don't anyone think its easy cos its not. Now I've built up my clientele I work from home, but started mobile and I enjoyed it, but it does have its drawbacks. Your client, meanwhile, stays in the comfort of their own home, doesn't have to drive home with wet nails, can stay in with their child/elderly parent/sick dog whatever, and will be prepared to pay for the privilege.

I think your higher price list is fine. Good luck with it x

what i do, i work as a mobile beauty therapist and within my town my prices are cheaper and more competitive than most salons "luckily" anyway if i go slightly out of town i would say over 8 miles i charge a 20p per mile charge, if treatments are under £10 even in my home town i charge them 20p per mile then that way that pushes them to have something else :). So even if lower your prices or even keep them at the same price but do special offers on a regular basis, that might attract new clients, and if they loved it then trust me they won't mind paying "as long a your prices remain reasonable. Also like i said you charge for your petrol if its further than 8 miles then you won't loose out. Hope that helps! thanks:)

Sorry to disagree, but I would advise you to price higher, and make special offers etc if you need to. It is incredibly difficult to raise prices, especially when you are trying to establish yourself. And I speak from experience :rolleyes: If you price higher, you are establishing yourself as a top-end premium brand and people will be delighted if you do make offers and consider that they are getting a bargain (which they will be).

Mobile is hard work. You do have your costs, and it takes time to pack up, drive to and set up in peoples homes not to mention packing up again to come back. You have added annoyances like dogs being let out, kids trying to root through your stuff, people taking phone calls, etc which salons don't have to put up with, you are out often in the dark and cold during unsociable hours, don't anyone think its easy cos its not. Now I've built up my clientele I work from home, but started mobile and I enjoyed it, but it does have its drawbacks. Your client, meanwhile, stays in the comfort of their own home, doesn't have to drive home with wet nails, can stay in with their child/elderly parent/sick dog whatever, and will be prepared to pay for the privilege.

I think your higher price list is fine. Good luck with it x
Couldn't agree more with this. I really do feel a new Sassy guide coming on teaching people how to put a price list together, rather than plucking figures from the air. Lord knows when I'll find the time to write it now I'm back in the salon, but this is such a frequestnly asked question now!

Imagine if we all just looked at another price list and set out price a bit lower than the next guy ... over time we'd end up actually PAYING clients to have treatments!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to make money from this then set your sights - and your prices - HIGH. Love your clients to death, give them the best products you can, they'll love you for it ... and remember while you are on the road travelling from client to client a salon based tech will have another client in the chair earning them money ... you'll just be getting stressed!

Also would you really want to travel to someone's house for a single file and polish even for £10? I wouldn't put this on my menu TBH, unless they had a group of friends up for it.

I guaged it on any other treatment that took around the same time to do ie: get a per hour price in your head and work from that then allow for products. Think about it, a full manicure can take as long as a full body massage which uses less products. Hope this helps.

This is how I worked out my prices too. I charge slightly more for my 1 hour manicure than I do for a 1 hour massage. Same time used but more expensive products used in a manicure.

This is how I worked out my prices too. I charge slightly more for my 1 hour manicure than I do for a 1 hour massage. Same time used but more expensive products used in a manicure.

But massage is hard work!
Most salons charge way more for a massage than a manicure...

Imagine if we all just looked at another price list and set out price a bit lower than the next guy ... over time we'd end up actually PAYING clients to have treatments!!!!!!!!!!

:-D Exactly... I don't say more, you iknow what I think about pricing... :)

C.

Yes...and im one of them:lol::green:

I want Rich to spend less time on his massage...he only charges £30 for an hour...and ive repeatedly told him to spend less time when doing a sports massage on the back...an hour i tell you:eek:

When im doing a full body massage that takes me an hour and i charge£40.
Hot stone massage is £46 for an hour.

You have to charge accordingly,and now im just taking Perron Rigot,the prices will reflect the quality of the treatment.

After all we are in business aswell as a friendly chat and a cup of tea:green:

After all we are in business aswell as a friendly chat and a cup of tea:green:

Yes you are right Gabi, this is how we make a living, so we should charge as much as clients are prepared to pay :lol:

And Emily22 - just remember where you are - isn't Poole where all the millionaires live ?:green:

Make sure they pay you what you're worth x

Your right, I know what you mean and I also did a lot more training for my massage course, so perhaps I should charge more. But in my area manicures and massages do seem to be similarly priced.

Your right, I know what you mean and I also did a lot more training for my massage course, so perhaps I should charge more. But in my area manicures and massages do seem to be similarly priced.

Don't you think that that is probably down to everyone calculating their prices the same way that you have?!!!

Yes you are right Gabi, this is how we make a living, so we should charge as much as clients are prepared to pay :lol:

And Emily22 - just remember where you are - isn't Poole where all the millionaires live ?:green:

Make sure they pay you what you're worth x

Millionaires!? Im sure there are many of them around here - just wish they'd share their good fortune!! lol!

Thanks for all your replies! I think ive come to set my final price list which is on my website: Home I posted a separate post re: my website so many of you may have already seen it..
Im still working on my site, constantly trying to improve it before i start advertsing. My sisters fella runs his own business (nothing to do with the beauty industry) but has been really helpful in advising me of the many things i need to do to set up etc! I havent been well lately but now im recovering im giving myself a major kick up the backside to get on and get this all sorted. I just want to get going with it all and it takes my mind of everything else!

When you set up to go mobile did any of you continue with your regular job? I currently work 8 hrs a week in my local shop but my aim is to stop this eventually and just work for myself - i had a family member snapping at me when i said this saying 'you'll never earn enough to do that!' - such a nice way of showing her confidence in me! We dont live near this family member so she doesnt actually know much about what im doing at all.
Im not expecting to make a fortune but at least what im earning now. Surely i'd be better off doing this by myself than being paid for 8hrs work for someone else at just above the minimum wage?

Latest posts

Back