SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRH

Reaction score
Soooo I’m fully qualified and have been for around 5 years now. Just opened my own salon. Already do facials but wanting to add the ultimate facial to my list, however unsure of how to do pricing. Ultimate facial consists of

Cleanse
Steam
Extraction
Dermaplaning/microdermabrasion (I have a diamond microdermabrasion machine, so maybe just one of the other, not both)
Chemical peel
High frequency
Mask
Tone
Serums/spf/moisturiser

also do you think this is too much going on?

would you just offer 2 of the main facial procedures rather than 3?

Any information would be amazing
Thank you

Hey there,

Congratulations on your new salon! Not surprised you are having a good look at treatment offerings and protocols. I'm writing up something similar at the moment.
I hate to say I won't give any advice on pricing as this usually is decided off of the prices in your local market, look/feel of your salon, products used and sometimes based off of what you are already charging for other facials.

I've seen the "Ultimate Facial" and "Million Dollar Facial"s. I've noticed a few variations but haven't been that taken by what I've seen.

I personally like to take a progressive approach and am more conservative as to avoid over-exfoliating and over-working the skin. I know this can fall under personal approach and assessment.

I tend to be turned off by the trendy names attached to facials.I think it's clever for marketing but can feel a bit one-size fits all and loses the point of what we are doing. From what I've seen it looks kind of aggressive in my opinion. I think with so many new products on the market a LOT of clients are over working their skin. We need to be the ones correcting this habit not propelling it.

I think we have to go back to our foundations of what purpose each of these steps serves and how can it enhance or hinder the clients skin. I struggle to think of a skin type that would benefit from a chemical peel AND a more intense physical exfoliation (Microderm and dermaplaning) in one session. If you introduce a chemical exfoliation after such a thorough physical exfoliation I think you heighten your risk of causing a lot of irritation to the skin..certainly not good if you are trying to correct hyperpigmentation as this can trigger those pigment cells and make this issue worse. I would feel more comfortable introducing a low percentage AHA/BHA serum after if needed or simply something hydrating, calming, antioxidant packed with peptides or has melanin suppressors for the hyperpigmentation sufferers and SEAL that goodness in as the skin will be more prone to losing water now that you've worked off that outermost layer.

At a baseline this over-processing will most likely break down the skin barrier which just ushers in an onslaught of other issues causing dehydration, inflammation and sensitivity and can worsen skin conditions like acne, rosacea/couperouse skins, hyperpigmentation and dry skin.

Generally if I approach chemical peels, I would get the client to introduce an AHA/BHA into their routine a week at minimum before coming in so we can thin/compact the stratum corneum, so when we do the chemical peel we will have a more even absorption into the skin. For superficial-medium peels less really is more. I wouldn't even do extractions, just work on healing the skin after and try not to over manipulate it to avoid irritation and inflammation. I think LED is a great way to finish this off.

Sadly, I know this isn't sexy or doesn't have a sensationalised name but is where I sit on this approach.

Hi,
Yes, I think you are throwing too much into this one facial!
As you already do facials, what do you include in your other ones? Your 'menu' of facials should start simple and work up to your most expensive.
I offer 7 manual facials ranging from £25 to £44 and then I have 4 more which include micro-current ranging from £42 to £57.

I would suggest you re-visit your complete menu of facials starting with a simple mini facial gradually adding extras until you get to your top one.
Think through what each technique is giving the client and don't forget the relaxing massage / mask - very important for client satisfaction.

You are welcome to email me if you want any further guidance.
P.s. With COVID at the moment, you are best to avoid using steam because it will spread droplets throughout your treatment area.

Hi,
Yes, I think you are throwing too much into this one facial!
As you already do facials, what do you include in your other ones? Your 'menu' of facials should start simple and work up to your most expensive.
I offer 7 manual facials ranging from £25 to £44 and then I have 4 more which include micro-current ranging from £42 to £57.

I would suggest you re-visit your complete menu of facials starting with a simple mini facial gradually adding extras until you get to your top one.
Think through what each technique is giving the client and don't forget the relaxing massage / mask - very important for client satisfaction.

You are welcome to email me if you want any further guidance.
P.s. With COVID at the moment, you are best to avoid using steam because it will spread droplets throughout your treatment area.
I agree with you on the steam!

Last edited:
Hi GRH,

Great suggestions from the above experienced Geeks. I totally agree that you are providing too many individual elements. It's such a complex facial when really there is no need.

It isn't a question of offering 2 or 3 procedures to all of your clients but more a careful plan as to choosing what the best treatment combinations should be offered for the client. I am sure you already know that though.

Do they need relaxation? Or wrinkle reduction? Or Anti redness? Or purifying? Or acne treatments? as a few examples.

Break your list down into exactly what each element does because it seems that you are really being over zealous with the full works. There is just no need and it's probably going to cause a few clients to have reactions, if say their body hormones change.

There seems to be a lot about peel, peel, radiance boosting at the moment, which in turn may have an impact on the skin quality and cause more problems than it solves. It doesn't suit everyone. Most of my clients have issues with wrinkles, sensitivity and generally very dry skin. My clients are around the age of 50 plus so may be very different to yours

So take a step back and simplify.

Do you do holistic therapies? It seems that in my opinion looking towards the reopening in the near future, clients are really going to need healing and what better way than to introduce something like Indian head massage to a French facial?
Costs nothing more than your time and a little massage cream or oil. So why not add this to your facial options. and go for it , charge your top rate !
If there's no takers then you haven't wasted a single penny other than a little bit of your time and brain in creating something really special.

Will be interesting to see how you go on.

Good wishes to you

I love doing facials and do offer tailored facials for clients skin requirements as a add on.
Introducing a new facial to the menu is a great idea especially after lockdown something new on the menu. Ultimate facial sounds good and a buzz word selling point for some clients but may not be for everyones skin and also personally microdermabrasion and chemical would be over exfoliating in my opinion.
Loved reading all the above expertee therapist replies really is useful.
X

I love doing facials but as has already been said I think there's too much going on with the 'ultimate' facial you're wanting to offer. I have an express facial which is a 30 minute introductory treatment and a 50 minute hands on facial but then I have 'add ons' which are all of the extra facial treatments that my clients can add to their facial if they want to and if I feel it will benefit them. This way each facial is tailor made to suit my clients needs and they know that the treatment they're getting is specific to them and if their needs change then so will their facial. I
Hope you get sorted and you've got some really good advice to be going with from previous replies on here, good luck x

Latest posts

Back