Pricing help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrsa09

Reaction score
Hiya, I'm getting back into the nail industry after quite a break and I'm really struggling to price myself. I don't have much confidence but I'm happy with my work although I could always find things to improve on!!

Currently I'm charging £25 for acrylic (tips or sculpted) but not sure if I should charge more for acrylic ombre sets and I do a few design sets and I have no idea what I should be charging? I'll try and upload a photo.

For gel polish it's £15 and overlay in acrylic or gel is £20.

Infills I do at £5 less a new set but even that I'm not sure on so could really do with some help and direction!

Thanks all [emoji4]

Managed up upload.
20190330_101321-01-01.jpeg
20190427_225242-01.jpeg

Hi there, I am sorry but cannot advise you on acrylic prices , but I think you are too cheap for the work that you do for them.
Gel polish should be around £20 at least with removal maybe a £5 addition.
Check local salons in your area and do not undersell yourself. If you are good you will get return customers that are willing to pay for you .
Hopefully another geek may be able to price acrylic work as this post will get to be noticed once more.
By the way - it is great that you always want to improve and perfect your work .....that really shows a good attitude! Join the club!
RosieR x

Hi there, I am sorry but cannot advise you on acrylic prices , but I think you are too cheap for the work that you do for them.
Gel polish should be around £20 at least with removal maybe a £5 addition.
Check local salons in your area and do not undersell yourself. If you are good you will get return customers that are willing to pay for you .
Hopefully another geek may be able to price acrylic work as this post will get to be noticed once more.
By the way - it is great that you always want to improve and perfect your work .....that really shows a good attitude! Join the club!
RosieR x
Thanks so much for replying! That's helpful, I've tried having a look on local salons but most are the ones that probably use that MMA and I feel so cheeky asking a local for a price on my pictures when there isn't anything on their website about pricing!

I'm loving getting back into nails! I find it so hard getting that balance between having the right amount of confidence and charging right! I know I give way to much stuff away for free - but if free means I get more practice that's why I'm doing it, but I can't keep it up as I'll never earn anything haha!

Thanks again xx

Hiya, I'm getting back into the nail industry after quite a break and I'm really struggling to price myself. I don't have much confidence but I'm happy with my work although I could always find things to improve on!!

Currently I'm charging £25 for acrylic (tips or sculpted) but not sure if I should charge more for acrylic ombre sets and I do a few design sets and I have no idea what I should be charging? I'll try and upload a photo.

For gel polish it's £15 and overlay in acrylic or gel is £20.

Infills I do at £5 less a new set but even that I'm not sure on so could really do with some help and direction!

Thanks all
emoji4.png

I don’t do acrylics but that is way too cheap for gel polish.

Tot up every single thing up use for each treatment, the price of the full size, work out exactly how much you would use for a service (eg gel polish bottle averages 50 applications so for a colour that is 25 sets of 2 coats or 16 sets of 3 coats. So say the gel cost you £10 to buy thats 40-62p per coat.

Then once you’ve added everything else like if you remove gels inclusive of price, acetone, exactly how many cotton pads you use (mine are 50p for 50), how many mls of everything, couch roll. I even Include bin bags, a capful of barbicide (30p), blue roll for cleaning. It will take time and you will end up rewriting it every time you miss something but it is 100% worth it.

Then that is your total cost. A ball park figure would be say £8.50. So if you use a higher end brand etc, you are not even making £6.50 profit.

Find the price per service and add on what you want to make. I wouldn’t be happy making £6.50 for 45mins of my time.

Those photos of your work show me that if they are lasting as well as they look, you require no more practice time so get your prices up and don’t worry about what everyone else is charging - there’s a lady near me doing acrylics for £10. From what I remember 7 years ago acrylics were £4.50 per set so as she’s laughing she’s getting all the clients I’m laughing because with 7 years inflation she’s probably working for free or or paying to do them by now.

I don’t do acrylics but that is way too cheap for gel polish.

Tot up every single thing up use for each treatment, the price of the full size, work out exactly how much you would use for a service (eg gel polish bottle averages 50 applications so for a colour that is 25 sets of 2 coats or 16 sets of 3 coats. So say the gel cost you £10 to buy thats 40-62p per coat.

Then once you’ve added everything else like if you remove gels inclusive of price, acetone, exactly how many cotton pads you use (mine are 50p for 50), how many mls of everything, couch roll. I even Include bin bags, a capful of barbicide (30p), blue roll for cleaning. It will take time and you will end up rewriting it every time you miss something but it is 100% worth it.

Then that is your total cost. A ball park figure would be say £8.50. So if you use a higher end brand etc, you are not even making £6.50 profit.

Find the price per service and add on what you want to make. I wouldn’t be happy making £6.50 for 45mins of my time.

Those photos of your work show me that if they are lasting as well as they look, you require no more practice time so get your prices up and don’t worry about what everyone else is charging - there’s a lady near me doing acrylics for £10. From what I remember 7 years ago acrylics were £4.50 per set so as she’s laughing she’s getting all the clients I’m laughing because with 7 years inflation she’s probably working for free or or paying to do them by now.
Oh wow okay, yes I will sit down and work it all out, that's given me lots of confidence with you saying that you include costs for everything you use even things like cotton pads! I will do that, thank you!!

I'm far to concerned with coming across over confident and I panic at the thought of charging more then having to justify myself when something goes wrong, I'm such a panicker!!! But if I'm actually working out my cost on the products I use as well as my salary, then I will feel more comfortable!

Thank you so much for replying! xx

Latest posts

Back