Pricing in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessiej

Reaction score
We took over a Salon that a has 4tier price list, Jr stylist, Stylist, Creative Stylist and Senior Stylist, I am not sure if this is working ? I think just two prices would be better what’s your thoughts? it’s not a large Salon we have 6 staff but need to take on two more.

having 4 tiers is a great way to attract a wide range of customers with varying budgets. It also gives customers a good expectation of skill set and knowledge too with which person they are booked with.

I find one benefit of having a tiered price list is it can give people a clear path of how they can progress within the salon and can give them a goal for promotion and therefore increasing motivation long term.

I've always been in salons where there has been 3 tiers (Stylist, style director and creative director) and found it worked well.

what you need to think of if you were going to take away one (and I'm assuming it may be the jr stylist) is that would the clientele who are used to seeing their hairdresser and paying that price be happy with the increase in price with they standard of the jr stylists are now??

Our salon clients all have structured pricing levels - often with 3 minimum, but often more.

Clients like to be given a choice and still believe (and expect) a service level to match it.

I think it also has an affect on the stylists. More senior stylists need to know that their skill and ability is worth more than someone with less; and so like to see there’s a way to be ‘promoted’.

In studies, having a minimum of 3 prices created more sales. All to do with buyer psychology.

I think it only works when clients understand that tiered prices are linked to experience and ability, so it does need re-iterating to new clients.

However:
A common complaint with my clients and why they often choose to come to me is because they don’t want to be passed around in the salon and treated like an unwanted old parcel being fobbed off with a Junior doing the shampoo and finishing when they’ve paid for the services of the most senior stylist. Or for the senior stylist to spend some of the appt. time massaging their own egos and flirting with other clients.

Clients who happily pay higher prices expect far more than just a fabulous cut and colour!

Latest posts

Back