Primary Teaching in Scotland

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping some of you can give me some advice here please. I am having a massive career change at the moment so will keep this brief.

I graduated from uni last year and landed what I thought would be my dream job in a hotel (beauty business out with). I was wrong and 6 months later I am working my notice. The hours were not what I thought and I can count on one hand the beauty treatments I have done in the last 6 months.

Anyway, I am now considering going into primary teaching, however this would involve going back to college for a year and gaining Maths in the hope I could get into uni the following year.

My question is am I mad?! I know its what I want, but I feel like I am taking a huge risk having already been at uni, now I am thinking about returning! What if I can't manage maths, don't get in, can't get a job?! I now I am only 22 (only, hehe), but this career change has put my mortgage plans on hold :rolleyes:

My biggest question is does anyone know anyone who has done this (particularly Scotland) and what have their experiences been like?

Any thoughts appreciated :D

xx

Go for it!
Life's too short for regrets and what ifs!
Better to have given it a go than to dream about it!

You can do highers at college in the evening if you still need to earn a living while you study. Check the uni requirements and make contact with the course tutors before you even apply - they'll tell you whether just doing the highers you need are enough to get in or if you need to do some voluntary work to secure your place.

If you're worried about learning the maths I'd say don't be. Everyone is capable of learning anything if taught in the right way. If you can figure out how you learn then you will learn - use the student services. Additionally, use gumtree - offer a treatment for free maths tuition.

I have a couple of teacher friends and they've never looked back. Do something that is going to make you happy. You're never going to regret making this move when you're on your summer holidays spending time in your (slightly later than planned) bought house with your kids! Get on and good luck! X

- offer a treatment for free maths tuition.

I'm just 60 credits short of my Honours Mathematics degree, perhaps I could offer free maths tuition :) Anyone in my area need help?

Apologies for posting a shameless request for free treatments on your thread!

My mum re trained as a teacher when she was in her late 50s. Says it was the best thing she's ever done. She was most worried about the maths side having not done it since school, but in the end she was fine, me and my two sisters helped her out and one of our friends (who has a degree in maths) helped out too. It was a combined effort but she did it! The test then (not sure about now) was an online one you do on a computer at the test centre.

Latest posts

Back