primary type of service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary type of service

• None. I don't even know why I'm here. I'm actually a lumberjack.

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Liquid and powder

Votes: 308 61.8%
  • Gels

Votes: 104 20.9%
  • Wraps

Votes: 20 4.0%
  • Natural nail care

Votes: 52 10.4%

• Total voters

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Without wanting to get into it like cats and dogs... (just wanting to throw up another poll :D )

What is the primary type of service you perform (primary is the key word) and why?

tooodles

I like and have good results with gels. I like the fact that they are easy to file and natural looking (not that other systems when done properly are not!). Clients tell me that the gels feel lighter...hm....I wonder why?
Honestly, why do they feel lighter?

Many of my clients wear their nails at active lenght. I make their nails pretty thin so filing for a backfill (95% of my clients) is a breeze.

And of course....no smell, I got very spoiled with this one ;)

Anna from Toronto said:
Clients tell me that the gels feel lighter...hm....I wonder why?
Honestly, why do they feel lighter?

Many of my clients wear their nails at active lenght. I make their nails pretty thin so filing for a backfill (95% of my clients) is a breeze.

And of course....no smell, I got very spoiled with this one ;)

Hey Anna, my stab at this would be:
Many of your clients may have originaly come from the "thick as a brick" nail enhancement salon down the street.
I get that comment a lot "oooo ahhhh... they feel so light". I just think it comes from not making them 4.5 inches thick :p

The no smell is a massive bonus with gel. I really do like gels in concept, but am a L&P boy at heart (at least until the technology matures a bit).

Anna: How do you do Forever French (or do you not?)... French tips, sculpt w/ white gel... what?

Just curious :D

Hi Mr. Geek, yes you are probably right about thick nails, that's probably the reason why when they are done properly they feel "normal".
Probably when the clients go to NSS they get totally overfiled and primed to the knuckles, wiped with the monomer (so it burns), add to it a ton of powder and yes, the clients must be "aware" that there is "something" on their nails :?

About my gels:
Yes I 99% sculpt, and do backfills by removing almost all the white and thinning out the clear (pink) and re-applying the white and clear.
(Just like you show on your rebalances).
95% of my gel services are Forever Frenches.
I have found few very nice and white gels that I use like INT French Fill and Akzentz. They are very white and cure well too :D

If there was a traditional L&P system that didn't smell that much, I would love it!
I know what you mean, you have more options with L&P...

Just thought I would *bump* this back up the line as there are tons more people that have started on the board since this was last responded to. Seeing as it was on page 4, I assume many people havent bothered to check it out :)

tooodles

Hi everybody

I offer L&P and gel but I am finding that more and more clients are asking for gel, I think there is more advertising now on gel systems and if you find a good one they look great.
I currently use Professionails and have had alot of success with it, they offer quite alot of builder gels in different colours.

Lynda

The Nail Geek said:
Without wanting to get into it like cats and dogs... (just wanting to throw up another poll :D )

What is the primary type of service you perform (primary is the key word) and why?

tooodles

Liquid and Powder.. because it's what I know best!

I offer others but it seems the most popular. :)

Hmmm.... first i was inundated with gel requests, then it turned to pink and white l&ps and it's now half and half i'd say..... some have the white tips with gel over.... But NEVER clear l&p....

I think an increase in Gel is from NSS using only l&p and most people want to get as far away from that as possible when they realise the damage that's being done to their nails :rolleyes: Even pink & white l&p is different in the clients eyes! :)

Hi!

My clients love Sheeer Magic China Silk natural nail wraps - they all go around with a very smug THESE ARE MY OWN NAILS attitude, god bless 'em!!

Must be the area I work from (Stratford upon Avon), but only got a couple of French White Extreme Acrylic Powder Dip clients - and they're all from London!! Other techs I've spoken to in Cheltenham, Gloucester, London & Wales do nothing but French White Tips. Anyone else noticed this regional difference?

G. x

Have to say i'm a L&P girl myself, but then its what i do best. I do get frustrated that 99% of my clients want just pink L&P with an american polish so that they can change it if they wish. I do my own nails permannt french which my clients love but they only want pink or clear.

I love the french look, i think it shows L&P off best.:)

Lol! I'm a lumberjack. ;) I've mostly been doing manis and pedis. I think mostly because the last nail tech who worked before me only did them, and no enhancements, so alot of people still don't know they're available. Then again it may be because they just love their manis and pedis.

Hiya

We mainly do natural overlays with a flexible soakable gel, french look mainly but colours are coming on strong.
Very rarely asked for just clear.

Little Angel said:
Hiya

We mainly do natural overlays with a flexible soakable gel, french look mainly but colours are coming on strong.
Very rarely asked for just clear.
Little Angel,

what soakable gel do you use?!?

Love Kirsty
xx

L&P here... and mostly Forever French... it's what I wear.. so clients usually want what I'm wearing! ;)

I choose L&P because I use CND products strictly :D - and up until now, they have only offered L&P.

I am practicing with Brisa though, and amazingly enough- I love it! It IS much much different than L&P though :sad:

I've heard that the learning curve to master Gels is shorter- hard to begin to learn, easy to master.......

and the learning curve with Acrylic is longer- anyone can "clump" or "dump" LOL L&P on- but it is harder to master.......

I worked with CND L&P for about 10 years before I took any classes :o - so most of what I learned- I learned the HARD way- trial and error......

Now I want to become an Educator for CND so that I can share my knowledge and experience with those that need/want it- so they don't have to "put there time in (alone)"

Hopefully I have what it takes to become an Education Ambassador for Creative Nail Design- I am always willing to learn, and desperate to share! :biggrin:

My love of love's though- L&P. It's what I know!

My primary service was wraps its now more L&P out of client demand.

Use Fabric for wraps

and OPI Comp 3000 and Stars L & P

...I use Star for my student clients offer them a discount if having this service

Use Bella Mani for manicure

K4ylee said:
Little Angel,

what soakable gel do you use?!?

Love Kirsty
xx

Hi

We use biosculpture. Found it very good and the clients love it.

Wel, i'm still taking my course but i'm doing gel since it's the system witch is more in demand around here. I've done some nails on friends and i've noticed that when i ask them what they want (shape, lenght, french or natural) they just say they want their's like mine (and they don't look as good as i wished, it's not easy mastering your own nails...). Someone here mencioned the same thing happening with her clients. Why is that? Do you think that if i polish in lettuce green my clients will want that polish too? :D

My primary services are mani's, pedi's, and Spa stuff. I work in a spa, so everyone comes in for natural nail services. We're pretty pricey too, so I get paid good! The cost of a manicure ($25-$30) at my job, is the same as what some of you guys charge for a full set! And I don't have to do all that work!! I used to be into L&P, but I've gotten spoiled on natural nail services because no-one wants L&P here. They only want natural services. It also helps that my nails are natural too, and they are long, strong, and healthy, so my clients want their nails in shape like mine.

Diya

Hmmm...L&P:rolleyes: I teach in a CND School, am a CND Master, and I'm going to the CND roadshow in Salt Lake City....I guess I like liquid and powder, however I am looking forward to learning Brisa. CND's newest product, a gel. (yes, I teach my students fabric wraps and gel too, but I'm a traditional acrylic diehard at heart...I'd have to be after growing up in the industry and being licensed for the last 14 years:) )

L&P also, though now CND has introduced Brisa Gel I'm going to try it for the first time in a long time ..looks Great !!Now I 'm a Gel Tech also CND everything 4 me!!!!!

Latest posts

Back