Primer and primer-less systems - which do you use and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa82

Reaction score
Why would I bother getting the correct mix ratio with L&P that doesn't require primer to prevent lifting or any other service breakdown when I can just use a product that will adhere to the nail through a primer type system?

This is what I'm seeing in the nail world. People are sticking to systems with primers and not building a nail correctly. They are depending on primers to prevent lifting and exposing their clients to overexposure. But is this really the case? Do primers cause over exposure?

I work with people who use CND yet use primers underneath and it blows my mind. I know I am having problems with lifting because I'm still working on my L&P skills but I'm sticking to the system.

Please enlighten me on the subject. Personally, I love CND and will stick with their ways but I'm still curious as to why others use systems that require numerous applications of primer.

Really good question!

Speaking As someone who has not used primer with my system .. CND .. Since 1994 !!

Primer isn't 'the devil' and it isn't harmful to the nail plate either ... other than it is a very effective dehydrator.

The more we use products that dehydrate the natural nail, the more we see signs of white patches and brittleness, de-lamination etc. So my opinion is, that if I don't have to use it then it's less time and less expense for me. If a cleanser is all I need then I think that is wonderful.

As to mix ratio, that goes for any system and is really easy to achieve so no worries there. I don't know of any L&P system that can be used with the same results at any ratio just because a primer is used.

I personally would rather not be dependent on using a primer. Some over-use it which actually can make adhesion less strong and cause lifting. It can become a crutch to lean on. But each to their own on this one.

As to over-exposure to primer; it would have to be seriously being misused for that to happen. Primer (no matter which type) should be used sparingly and never touching the skin .. Over-exposure should not be an issue. HTH

I feel like I've asked a question like my initial post before and I probably have. I'm just struggling with all of the info I have sucked up in the past year, learning to be a nail tech. I'm at a fork in the road, trying to decide my path from here.

I feel like I know all of the products out there now and what they have to offer. I've latched on to CND but then I see tech's making nails WAY different than the typical CND kind and it has me thinking. How do they get their ill-shaped nails to stay on for 9 weeks? How do they not have any lifting? I don't see CND tech's bragging about these things, only those that mix product (I know this for a fact because I pay attention to what these tech's are saying and posting).

Let's be honest: My nails have loads of improvement needed. I've only been doing acrylics for a few months now, regularly only on one person. I know I'm not getting the practice I need because I need more hands to work on but I can't get it out of my head. Would I be any better with a different brand that uses a primer system? It's not really an option thought because my workplace uses strictly CND. It just has me thinking about my future.

I feel like I've asked a question like my initial post before and I probably have. I'm just struggling with all of the info I have sucked up in the past year, learning to be a nail tech. I'm at a fork in the road, trying to decide my path from here.

I feel like I know all of the products out there now and what they have to offer. I've latched on to CND but then I see tech's making nails WAY different than the typical CND kind and it has me thinking. How do they get their ill-shaped nails to stay on for 9 weeks? How do they not have any lifting? I don't see CND tech's bragging about these things, only those that mix product (I know this for a fact because I pay attention to what these tech's are saying and posting).

Let's be honest: My nails have loads of improvement needed. I've only been doing acrylics for a few months now, regularly only on one person. I know I'm not getting the practice I need because I need more hands to work on but I can't get it out of my head. Would I be any better with a different brand that uses a primer system? It's not really an option thought because my workplace uses strictly CND. It just has me thinking about my future.

No matter what product you use, the more you use it the less lifting you will get.

Plenty of people who prime get lifting and plenty of people who don't prime probably get lifting at first. But as I say, lifting is part of a nail technicians learning curve to learn how to over come it and the batter you get at doing the whole process from start to finish, the better results you will have. The more hands through yours, the better ... Both for the practice and the all important feed back.

I wouldn't panic and change product if I was you.

Get more practise in and all your doubts will go with your increasing experience and confidence.

your problems are just beginners 'teething' , keep going , you've chosen to work with a great product .

BTW leaving clients with 9 weeks old nails on isn't something to be proud of really as the nail would be very unbalanced and if the client caught the nail on something or whacked it she could do serious damage to herself...ouch

Latest posts

Back