primer or non acid nail prep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolep

Reaction score
which do you use and why?

I never use either ... why?

depends on what I'm doing......

I use a dehydrator (EZ Flow's EZ Bond) and two or three coats of Acid-Free Primer. I don't etch the nail plate. Before I started doing things the way I do them now, I had all kinds of problems with sunscreens, saltwater, chlorine, and oils causing lifting (Florida has to be one of the worst places to be a nail technician). Since I started prepping more, I haven't had any issues at all. :)

I never use either ... why?

Hi, I have started a new gel system called nail affair, they say you must use a primer or their nail prep which they say is non acid, so I am trying to establish which is better.

Hi, I have started a new gel system called nail affair, they say you must use a primer or their nail prep which they say is non acid, so I am trying to establish which is better.

I would use what the manufacturer recommends which is always best.

if the system says use primer then use primer, I am guessing if their "nail prep" says its non acid, to me that says Acid Free Primer... so each must be a primer of some sort... when I hear the word PREP I think CND prep, I think a lot of other lines their prep is actually bonders, primers etc rather than full preperation of the nail plate (the CND way) before anything is applied to the nail.

hi all, they way they explained it to me was that the primer is like the double sided sticky tape and the prep ( non acid ) dehydrates the nail plate. They say I can use which ever I want and it will be fine, but which do you reccomend?

personally I would use the product that dehydrates (same as CND scrubfresh) and then I would use the primer if the system requires it.. such as with brisa we use liquid bond (primer) after we have dehydrated the nail plate.. I dont think u can go to wrong using both :)

hi all, they way they explained it to me was that the primer is like the double sided sticky tape and the prep ( non acid ) dehydrates the nail plate. They say I can use which ever I want and it will be fine, but which do you reccomend?

I don't think there is a 'better'. If I had to choose though, I would use non acid primer. Non acid doesn't stink to high heaven and there is no chance of 'after burn' which you can get sometimes with acid based primer.

thank you all so much for your help.

I don't think there is a 'better'. If I had to choose though, I would use non acid primer. Non acid doesn't stink to high heaven and there is no chance of 'after burn' which you can get sometimes with acid based primer.
What's the 'after burn' I've never heard of that one before....maybe just never had it yet!!

Go for whichever your system says, although you could try out both on alternate nails and see which is best for you.

If your system is primerless, then if your prep is spot on, you won't need a primer to create the bond.

What's the 'after burn' I've never heard of that one before....maybe just never had it yet!!

Go for whichever your system says, although you could try out both on alternate nails and see which is best for you.

If your system is primerless, then if your prep is spot on, you won't need a primer to create the bond.

Sometimes clients get a delayed reaction to primer (usually when it has been over-used on a thin plate) and it can start to burn a few hours after it has been applied. Not nice.

Sometimes clients get a delayed reaction to primer (usually when it has been over-used on a thin plate) and it can start to burn a few hours after it has been applied. Not nice.
Do you think that's down to techs using it incorrectly...as in over priming or just something that will happen over time when using methacrylic acid primer without using it correctly?

Edit....yeah you said that lol....lack of education! Sorry to repeat what you said!

Do you think that's down to techs using it incorrectly...as in over priming or just something that will happen over time when using methacrylic acid primer without using it correctly?

Edit....yeah you said that lol....lack of education! Sorry to repeat what you said!

Yes it is down to using acid primer incorrectly and over priming ... but so many many nail techs do this as a matter of routine and I have seen them prime 3-4 times in some salons !! :eek:

Funny peeps are still doing this, and taking all that time, when with proper prep and a fantastic product like CND Retention+ you never need to use primer at all and only minimal but thorough prep. It beats me! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back