Pro advice needed on reducing thick hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
hi looking for help.
I've got thick hair I'm 35 and obviously had it all my life and I'm sick of it.
Thinning scissors, razors, cutting into and down hair hasn't exactly helped over time.
My hair is wavey and a little frizzy naturally.

There's so much to help thin hair but what can we do for thick?

I tie it back day after day. I cut short I grow long, I layer, I'd like to wear a new style, down maybe. I love top knots but get headaches.
Should I keep one length?

The best my hair has been was after hair extensions where I had to remove the glue myself, about aquarter of my hair fell out too, it was great

Is there anything you can recommend, thinking outside the usual.
Might sound crazy but IPL lazer treatment t to reduce it down?

I'd love to embrace my hair but I need less if it.

Looking forward to your advice X
( And yes I know people would kill for thick hair but it's a problem for me) X

THICK HAIR........be LOUD & PROUD! :cool:
Embrace it, love it, care for it......but NEVER thin it.o_O

I have a hairdresser friend who hates her thick hair and had a section shaved out of the back just about where you would place a ponytail. It was invisible at all times but made her hair more manageable she claimed.

You could always go for a woman's undercut with a pattern etched in with detailers.

Last edited:
THICK HAIR........be LOUD & PROUD! :cool:
Embrace it, love it, care for it......but NEVER thin it.o_O
When you say thin... As in texturise/thin?

O.K.....using the scissor or razor to 'thin' hair out, results in multiple length hairs....which can look weird/untidy/broken......
If you have wavy or curly hair....it's even worse, as it 'bunches' at the root, and looks 'wispy' towards the ends.
As suggested above, undercutting at the nape works well if you wear your hair in a bob, as it stops the base 'jutting out'.
It will lay flatter, giving a sharper finish..
Can you post a picture to give us a better idea of your hair texture?

Th
I have a hairdresser friend who hates her thick hair and had a section shaved out of the back just about where you would place a ponytail. It was invisible at all times but made her hair more manageable she claimed.

You could always go for a woman's undercut with a pattern etched in with detailers.

The wind blows? About the undercoat with the next design I think it looks fabulous but I'm a bit too old for that now unfortunately or I definitely do it!

Th

The wind blows? About the undercoat with the next design I think it looks fabulous but I'm a bit too old for that now unfortunately or I definitely do it!

You're never too old for an undercut, its used a lot especially when creating bobs on very thick hair, it doesn't have to be shaved.

Latest posts

Back