Problem blending tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopylisa7

Reaction score
I apologise now if this has already been discussed, as I imagine it has, but I have searched and have not found the answer. (Please feel free to point me in the right direction and close this thread, oh wise moderator of the forum :) )

I am currently in the process of my home study, and have been applying tips then a chosen overlay to the extension - I have done acrylic, gel and fibreglass.

I keep coming up against the same problem, that I have blended the tip so it is smooth and no line is visable, but once the overlay is applied, the tip where it is attached to the nail is still clear to see!!!

I have blended the tip with long strokes of the file, angled towards my client as to not file the nail bed.

I also wipe the nail with antiseptic spray and a lint free wipe to remove any dust.

I'm not sure where I am going wrong, I feel I am doing everything I need to do. I feel if I blend more I am going to split the tips.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

loves xxx

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...le-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html

The problem if not the blending, could be that your tip is not glued on correctly and there is possibly air under the tip. Once you have applied the prodiuct over it, the product shrinks somewhat and pulls a the tip making it visible.

When a tip is applied correctly, the well area should almost look transparent like it is not there, even at this point before you start to blend. Now, this can depend on the quality of the tip as well; some brands are thicker than others, but the well area should not look 'whitish'.

Try going further with blending the well area than you are doing. The tip shouldn't split if you control where the file is working.

Thank you Geeg, I will try blending further.

With regards to actually applying the tip, do you have a process which you follow to prevent air bubbles?
I have been taught to apply glue to the free edge, and in the well on the tip, then placing the tip on the nail at a 45 degree angle and 'spreading' the glue, then again, approaching the nail at a 45 degree angle, 'slotting' the well of the tip onto the free edge, then holding down firmly.

try Blending the well of the tip first, then apply the adhesive, spread it with the nozel and then apply to the nail.
then when its dry, blend a bit more
Are you practising on a nail trainer??

hth x

Thank you Geeg, I will try blending further.

With regards to actually applying the tip, do you have a process which you follow to prevent air bubbles?
I have been taught to apply glue to the free edge, and in the well on the tip, then placing the tip on the nail at a 45 degree angle and 'spreading' the glue, then again, approaching the nail at a 45 degree angle, 'slotting' the well of the tip onto the free edge, then holding down firmly.

This method is fine.

I use well less tips placed on the smile line. No blending. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I use well less tips placed on the smile line. No blending. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Well less tips are great for those clients whose nails suit wearing them .... Not everyone does.

In my opinion, a new nail technician should master the art of perfect tip application and blending. Some clients need full well tips or half well tips. The application of a well less tip is totally different to a half or whole well tip.

Every new technician needs to be able to learn how to really use a hand file well and without causing any damage; learning to blend tips safely and carefully is a necessary part of that learning curve with the file.

Got to do your time ladies and learn the skills rather than taking the short cut methods at every opportunity. Only using the Short cuts makes your scope VERY limited indeed and you end up not knowing what to do or how to do it when the need arises.

Last edited:
I will be studying Geeg's guide and practising all night!!

I did tip blending at college today for the first time. Gosh was I a scared bunny 😱

I used to have problem with tip blending. I think most things in the nail industry is just down to practice and time. It all slots into place once you have been doing it for longer and gain more experience!

I used to have problem with tip blending. I think most things in the nail industry is just down to practice and time. It all slots into place once you have been doing it for longer and gain more experience!

I'm sure :)
I understand what I should be doing, and how to do it. Just need lots of practise now

I'm sure :)
I understand what I should be doing, and how to do it. Just need lots of practise now

ahhh sorry hun. I was replying to the OP. I feel bad now lol x

ahhh sorry hun. I was replying to the OP. I feel bad now lol x

Hehe, I know I hijacked. Don't feel bad at all. You've been helpful to all reading :) xx

I just love reading geeg's advice. Don't know where I would be without her help.
Her book is a must for all new nail techs x

don't go for the the line, go for the thickness, then the line dissappears all by itself ....

You are a lovely, informative lot! Thanks for all the responses.

I tried starting at the free edge, taking down the thickness of the tip and it is the best set I have ever done!
I walked away feeling like I can actually do this as opposed to deflated!

onwards and upwards! Thanks ladies!! xx

You are a lovely, informative lot! Thanks for all the responses.

I tried starting at the free edge, taking down the thickness of the tip and it is the best set I have ever done!
I walked away feeling like I can actually do this as opposed to deflated!

onwards and upwards! Thanks ladies!! xx

and gent!!! lol

What is the book called ??

Latest posts

Back