Problem clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximax68

Reaction score
Hi everyone ..
I just need some advice really ..
I recently qualified as a nail tech but have been doing my own nails for years ..
However, it still takes me around 2 + half hrs to get a full set of gel extensions (tips or sculptured) done ..
So in order to get practice done to work on my speed I've been doing my neighbours/friends nails for free ..
They are 2 sisters in their mid 20's so I also get the chance to work on some intricate designs ..
But ..
Always within a couple of days one is saying she's 'lost 4 sculptured nails / the other saying her gems have come off etc, etc, etc ..
Yet I sculpture my own nails in long coffins, use exactly the same products but only secure my gems with top coat whereas I use jelly shrink to secure theirs! and I never have any problems with my own nails :/
Also take into account the amount of times I file uv polish off my nails and re-apply different designs, and I never 'lose' any of my nails or have any problems whatsoever, I'm beginning to think that maybe they're just taking the p*ss ..
They used the local Chinese nail bar charging £35+ a set for years and so quite literally kept those extensions on until they were falling off!
So my question is this ..
Are they unfairly taking me for a ride and how do I approach this with them?
Many thanks x

Hi everyone ..
I just need some advice really ..
I recently qualified as a nail tech but have been doing my own nails for years ..
However, it still takes me around 2 + half hrs to get a full set of gel extensions (tips or sculptured) done ..
So in order to get practice done to work on my speed I've been doing my neighbours/friends nails for free ..
They are 2 sisters in their mid 20's so I also get the chance to work on some intricate designs ..
But ..
Always within a couple of days one is saying she's 'lost 4 sculptured nails / the other saying her gems have come off etc, etc, etc ..
Yet I sculpture my own nails in long coffins, use exactly the same products but only secure my gems with top coat whereas I use jelly shrink to secure theirs! and I never have any problems with my own nails :/
Also take into account the amount of times I file uv polish off my nails and re-apply different designs, and I never 'lose' any of my nails or have any problems whatsoever, I'm beginning to think that maybe they're just taking the p*ss ..
They used the local Chinese nail bar charging £35+ a set for years and so quite literally kept those extensions on until they were falling off!
So my question is this ..
Are they unfairly taking me for a ride and how do I approach this with them?
Many thanks x

It might be that they are responsible for loosing nails or the rhinestones. You've said it's still take you more than 2 hours to make a full set...so it can be that your preping is not accurate and yes it can be what works for you might come off for them. So at first I think you should check out tips for preping, how do you do it comparing to others? Mine is: Sanitize with spray, push back cuticles, file gently the nailplate with a 240 grit file, use a small thin diamond bit on low speed to clean the cuticle area, if you would like to you can do the same with the file just really get in to the corners. Dust off, brush on nail prep or dehydrator, apply nail forms or tips, brush on acid free primer. This takes me approximately 15 min. Keep in mind that when you do your right hand with your left you'll be slower, so it'll take more time.Try to set time frames for each step, and try to do one step on all ten nails so you won't loose time on changing tools.
With the ladies I can advise to improve your prepping first and then if it still happens with them try to go with acidic primer, try stronger builder gel or there are specific base gels for extra adherence.

'Something for free has no value' and 'easy come, easy go' - are two sayings my tutor told me when I first started training. She told me if you give a set for free the client is not invested in it, they didn't use their hard earned money to pay for it, so it's worthless, therefore they won't take care of it. Charge them at very least for your products, say half your intended price, and I bet the issues stop pretty quickly.

'Something for free has no value' and 'easy come, easy go' - are two sayings my tutor told me when I first started training. She told me if you give a set for free the client is not invested in it, they didn't use their hard earned money to pay for it, so it's worthless, therefore they won't take care of it. Charge them at very least for your products, say half your intended price, and I bet the issues stop pretty quickly.
Thank you x

Absolutely agree Trinity!!

Latest posts

Back