Problem skin getting me down!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorna_

Reaction score
Hi
I've had quite bad skin for most of my life. I don't really have lots of spots, I just have constant redness on my nose and cheeks which is aggravated more if I rub/touch my face. I have really oily skin so I cover with make up but it just slides off half way through the day!

Anybody know what it is? I've suffered with it long enough. Some research has mentioned "rosacea" but I'm not too clear on what this is and whether it fits my description.

Any help from beautiful skinned professionals would be much appreciated [emoji23][emoji8] x

What make up do you use and what skincare are you currently using?

Vic x

Need more info-
Whats your current skincare routine? Like do you use cleanser, exfoliant, moisturiser, serum blah blah
Do you eat a healthy diet?
Is your hair oily? If so is it on your face as in a fringe sitting on your forehead? Do you use products containing alcohol?

I cleanse, tone and moisturise every day and exfoliate about twice a week.

I use simple cleanser and toner and sometimes a clean and clear deep cleanser/toner and witch hazel blemish stick.

My hair is only oily at the roots and dry on the ends.

I use loreal make up as I feel that gives me the best coverage at the moment. I've tried some oil free foundations but they don't seem much different

Thanks guys [emoji8] x

I eat relatively healthy, not much junk food and I drink water x

It may be a good idea to look at the ingredients of your skin care. I understand that you want to make it less oily but applying products that have ingredients that dry out your skin and stimulate your skin and make it think it needs to produce more oil which will then make your skin oily. Does that make sense? Have you thought about having a galvanic facial? Then ask the therapist to use ozone and get them to do a full skin analysis. Its really hard for me to give much advice without taking a look at your skin first. My opinion is just a general opinion on an oily type skin so i really recommend you get a skin analysis done. Im not sure where you're from but where im from (Australia ) most salons provide a 15-20min skin analysis free of charge. Sorry i couldnt be much more of a help

I meant products that make your skin less oily can stimulate the skin. Sorry, typo

Yeah I get what you mean! [emoji4] I'm in the UK. I'll have a look at the ingredients. Thanks for your help!

Try using Gamma Hydroxy by Skin Doctors. You can get it from allbeauty.com. I cleanse with BareMinerals deep cleansing foam then use the gamma hydroxy then Simple moisturiser. It's such a good product, it helps to promote healhty skin cells. I used to have terrible skin even on the pill and it's amazing - changed my life! probably took about 3 months to start working but is amazing and a whole pot lasts around 6 months xx

That's great I'll definitely try it! Thank you x

Try using Gamma Hydroxy by Skin Doctors. You can get it from allbeauty.com. I cleanse with BareMinerals deep cleansing foam then use the gamma hydroxy then Simple moisturiser. It's such a good product, it helps to promote healhty skin cells. I used to have terrible skin even on the pill and it's amazing - changed my life! probably took about 3 months to start working but is amazing and a whole pot lasts around 6 months xx

Would the gamma hydroxy help with spots etc as well as oily skin? I'm still searching for that miracle product! X

it helps every skin type. basically it's a "skin resurfacer" and from my understanding it helps to promote healthy skin cells from beneath the surface so when they reproduce, they reproduce healthy skin cells and not the skin cells with the problem, to stop the recurring problem no matter what the skin condition. I hope that makes sense xxx

it helps every skin type. basically it's a "skin resurfacer" and from my understanding it helps to promote healthy skin cells from beneath the surface so when they reproduce, they reproduce healthy skin cells and not the skin cells with the problem, to stop the recurring problem no matter what the skin condition. I hope that makes sense xxx
Can you please explain how it helps produce healthy skin cells from beneath the surface

I don't work for Skin Doctors so I don't know the ins and outs of how the product works, best to ask them. The main ingredient is glycolic acid and that was the main ingredient in another brand that I trained in - MD Formulations (part of BareMinerals), but that was a good few years ago now and they are no longer trading so I just found one with that as the main ingredient

I don't work for Skin Doctors so I don't know the ins and outs of how the product works, best to ask them. The main ingredient is glycolic acid and that was the main ingredient in another brand that I trained in - MD Formulations (part of BareMinerals), but that was a good few years ago now and they are no longer trading so I just found one with that as the main ingredient

Are you qualified? If so you would have studied skin biology and product ingredients right? Im a beauty therapy educator so let me briefly explain how skin care works. NO I REPEAT NO ingredient can penetrate the skin to the layer where mitosis occurs (where cells are formed) The epidermis alone contains 5 layers- stratum corneum, stratum lucidum, stratum granulosum, stratum spinosum and stratum germinativum. The stratum corneum alone consists of 30+ rows of squamous epithelium (flattened dead skin cells ) Then the remaining rows consist of 10-20 rows of skin cells each. The epidermis (skin we see) has an acid mantle barrier to protect things entering our skin. A topical skin cream cannot penetrate or be absorbed into the skin any further than the first 5 or so rows of the stratum corneum . Now when we use electricals to help push these ingredients into our skin the furthest it goes is 10-15 rows in the stratum corneum. The molecules in these ingredients are far to large to enter the skin all the way down to the germinativum to produce healthy skin cells. Skin care companies cut up these molecules to lower the molecular weight of these ingredients but doing so leaves the ingredients ineffective. You would have learned this when studying cosmetic chemistry. So to answer my original question- IT CAN'T PENETRATE THE LAYERS TO AID IN MITOSIS. Also, how can one particular product help all skin types? How can a product help an oily skin that needs the oil production slowed down also help a dry skin that needs its oil production increased? Sounds like a dodgy product to me

Are you qualified? If so you would have studied skin biology and product ingredients right? Im a beauty therapy educator so let me briefly explain how skin care works. NO I REPEAT NO ingredient can penetrate the skin to the layer where mitosis occurs (where cells are formed) The epidermis alone contains 5 layers- stratum corneum, stratum lucidum, stratum granulosum, stratum spinosum and stratum germinativum. The stratum corneum alone consists of 30+ rows of squamous epithelium (flattened dead skin cells ) Then the remaining rows consist of 10-20 rows of skin cells each. The epidermis (skin we see) has an acid mantle barrier to protect things entering our skin. A topical skin cream cannot penetrate or be absorbed into the skin any further than the first 5 or so rows of the stratum corneum . Now when we use electricals to help push these ingredients into our skin the furthest it goes is 10-15 rows in the stratum corneum. The molecules in these ingredients are far to large to enter the skin all the way down to the germinativum to produce healthy skin cells. Skin care companies cut up these molecules to lower the molecular weight of these ingredients but doing so leaves the ingredients ineffective. You would have learned this when studying cosmetic chemistry. So to answer my original question- IT CAN'T PENETRATE THE LAYERS TO AID IN MITOSIS. Also, how can one particular product help all skin types? How can a product help an oily skin that needs the oil production slowed down also help a dry skin that needs its oil production increased? Sounds like a dodgy product to me

Um ok, first of all I didn't reply to this thread to have a skin degree thrown at me - I was just merely trying to help someone out with a product that has helped me massively! And secondly YES I am a qualified NVQ Level 2 and 3 beauty therapist, I did not study cosmetic chemistry as this was not part of my course and I do not carry out facials anymore and haven't done in many years...so I do apologise that I am not up to your standards. I couldn't care less whether you are a beauty therapy educator or a homeless person that I just bought a burger for...there's no need for your rudeness - be kind! I don't understand why I am having to justify myself to you either, how about email Skin Doctors and see EXACTLY what this product does before casting your opinion seeing as you feel so strongly towards it! Jeez!

Quite frankly...nor are you...you're just a girl on a site!
Perhaps you should leave topics you clearly have no knowlege on to the professionals, the highly qualified professional therapists, therapists just like me

Latest posts

Back