Problem using MTW under L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
I've been having a practice with More Than White under my Ezflow L&P and i'm having problems! When i buff over the L&P comes off the edges of the MTW as if its too soft - am i doing something wrong?

Hi Caz,

just had to add that my MTW that you put under the EZ Flow L&P is really looking yellow now. It really notices when i go near anything white. I did my client today with MTW under fibreglass and no problems whatso ever. But her nails made mine look worse.

Can anyonw help with both Caz's problem and the yellowing? The thing was when Caz did my nails you could see it yellowing after it was put on, But once they were all done it didn't show, but it doesseem to now, any ideas???

I would love to help but I still can't apply MTW without is being too thick !!!! :p

Just wanted to add, my nails look great appart from the colour of the tips. Has anyone else had this problem??

I know Kelly had a problem with it going yellow under Gel, so what causes it? Do you need to leave it longer than 2 minutes to dry?

Hi wends i did my nails again the other day and left the mtw longer to dry, i also restricted using my top coat and my nails are still looking really white so im guessing its because i left the mtw longer to dry x

Is it possible i wonder if not only is the yellowing caused by not leaving to dry long enough but also why the acrylic comes away when buffing - any thoughts any of the experts??

Carole Lindsay said:
Is it possible i wonder if not only is the yellowing caused by not leaving to dry long enough but also why the acrylic comes away when buffing - any thoughts any of the experts??

They reacon 2 minutes between layers but I suppose if your layers are too think then you will need longer...maybe this is the problem...I will try on a tip tonight to see if this happens with my L&P and More Than White...

So far I've only used mine with Fabric and it has been fine no yellow just a lovely white finish...

Fab Freak said:
They reacon 2 minutes between layers but I suppose if your layers are too think then you will need longer...maybe this is the problem...I will try on a tip tonight to see if this happens with my L&P and More Than White...

So far I've only used mine with Fabric and it has been fine no yellow just a lovely white finish...
Cheers Lou - let me know how it goes will you? Wendy has used it under f/g and its been absolutely fine and i used it under Extreme Powder Glaze and it didnt yellow but i did notice how easy it was to accidently file away the glaze so the problem was there as well.

Hi, i used mtw on my sister a few months ago now, i used creative l&p and when fileing it started chipping away at the free edge and it also looked yellow!!!!!!!
so i removed it and havn't used it since, done everything correctly so still to this day don't know what the problem was. :(

mandyX

These are Gigi's instructions for using MTW with L&P why not have a read and see if there is anything amiss between her step by step and your method...hope this helps ladies

If using Liquid & Powder
PREP the nails.Apply tip: shape & blend
Apply 1 thin coat of MTW liquid acrylic to the tip.Let dry for a full 2 minutes. Apply a 2nd thin coat if needed for even coverage. Let dry for the full 2 minutes.
Apply a bead of clear over the white tip. Zone 1
Apply a bead of Blush over the stress area. Zone 2
Apply a small bead of Blush to the cuticle area. Zone 3
Finish to a high glassy shine as normal. Always be careful not to buff through the overlay and remove any white.

mandy said:
Hi, i used mtw on my sister a few months ago now, i used creative l&p and when fileing it started chipping away at the free edge and it also looked yellow!!!!!!!
so i removed it and havn't used it since, done everything correctly so still to this day don't know what the problem was. :(

mandyX
Hi Mandy: even though you have no idea why it happened, i'm actually quite relieved you posted coz at least i know its not an incompatiblity between Ezflow l&p and the MTW!!

Fab Freak said:
These are Gigi's instructions for using MTW with L&P why not have a read and see if there is anything amiss between her step by step and your method...hope this helps ladies

If using Liquid & Powder
PREP the nails.Apply tip: shape & blend
Apply 1 thin coat of MTW liquid acrylic to the tip.Let dry for a full 2 minutes. Apply a 2nd thin coat if needed for even coverage. Let dry for the full 2 minutes.
Apply a bead of clear over the white tip. Zone 1
Apply a bead of Blush over the stress area. Zone 2
Apply a small bead of Blush to the cuticle area. Zone 3
Finish to a high glassy shine as normal. Always be careful not to buff through the overlay and remove any white.
Nope it hasnt helped but thanx anyway! I'm doing all those things right. The only thing is maybe not applying thin enough coats! The words at the end "always be careful....." worry me coz i'm not sure how you achieve not buffing through the overlay when it seems to be so soft over the MTW part - i'm soooo confused!!

hi carrol,
No i don't think it has anything to do with EZ-Flow, when i started fileing at the acrylic it was the same as you it seemed very soft on the free edge area and just came away as if it had nothing to adhere to, very confusing and annoying as my smile lines are non existant and was very excited when i heard of mtw.

mandy X :(

More Than White is easy and simple to use ... can't see why you should be having a problem with it no matter what system you use.

Make sure after you have applied it to let it dry ... generally 2 minutes is enough for me. When you apply zone 1 (if using Liquid/powder) just apply enough so that you compensate for a little buffing when finishing and you will not remove it when filing. If it is chipping away at the free edge, then it is 'pooliing' there and not drying. Make sure MTW is thin and does not 'pool'.

I can't speak for every make of L/P but MTW has been formulated to work under most gels, wraps and L/P's. I have never seen it yellow.

The coverage is great ... work thin. This is the key.

geeg said:
More Than White is easy and simple to use ... can't see why you should be having a problem with it no matter what system you use.

Make sure after you have applied it to let it dry ... generally 2 minutes is enough for me. When you apply zone 1 (if using Liquid/powder) just apply enough so that you compensate for a little buffing when finishing and you will not remove it when filing. If it is chipping away at the free edge, then it is 'pooliing' there and not drying. Make sure MTW is thin and does not 'pool'.

I can't speak for every make of L/P but MTW has been formulated to work under most gels, wraps and L/P's. I have never seen it yellow.

The coverage is great ... work thin. This is the key.
I think the answer must be that i'm not working thin enough coz i've definitely got "pooling". I'll have a practice run on doing it thinner. I think the problem is i want it to look beautiful on first coat rather than thin and streaky and probably end up applying 2 thick coats! I'll see whether that makes a difference to the yellowing as well and let you know!

I think its definately pooling then, as you said Carole, thanks Geeg, we were wondering if it was the application not being thin enough so not setting in two minutes, used it before with no problem, thats why it was such a mystery to have it yellowing soon after applying L&P.

I think i will give it another go tonight, letting it dry for 3 minutes or so just to make sure on myself then see what happens.

Will let everyone know later.

talented talons said:
I think its definately pooling then, as you said Carole, thanks Geeg, we were wondering if it was the application not being thin enough so not setting in two minutes, used it before with no problem, thats why it was such a mystery to have it yellowing soon after applying L&P.

I think i will give it another go tonight, letting it dry for 3 minutes or so just to make sure on myself then see what happens.

Will let everyone know later.
If the yellowing is caused by the thickness of the MTW - I'm sowwy, Wends!!!

hi everyone

i too gave up on mtw as i was having a problem with yellowing ...so today i gave it another try .i applied a thin layer of clear l&p (creative) let dry buffed lightly cleared away dust ...swiped with scrubfresh..then applied a thin coat to one tip and let dry for 6 minutes (wanted to make sure it was dry ) on another tip i reapplied a second thin coat and let that dry for a further 10 minutes .i then applied a thin coat of clear l&p over the top..my ratio was not too wet .they looked great but as the acrylic set the white turned slowly yellow.when i buffed them i didn't have a problem with the ends chipping just the yellow discolouration . i have two bottles of mtw ..so just incase i had a contaminated one i tried the same method with the other one ...same results:sad: i will try and post a pic so you can see how yellow they are ..my brush is new ...my monomer was only delivered this week ...so it definately isn't contamination ...i was wondering if anyone who doesn't have this trouble would be willing to let me send my mtw to them so that they can try it ...at least then i would know it was me not the product ...it's driving me mad :rolleyes:
thanks for any help you can give
debbie
p.s
sorry if the pic is not very good ...had to take about 60 to get this one ...not good with cameras...eventually had to buff the shine off to get it to show
icon_rolleyes.gif

Attachments

• yellow mtw 041.JPG
    yellow mtw 041.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
Hi Debbie, this is what happened to my nails when Caz did them with L&P. The nail would look great to begin with, but as you say as you are doing the next nail it starts to go yellow. As you have done it and let it dry for longer then i can't seee it being a problem with pooling, and it can't be product related as it's happened with you using creative, Caz and i thought it might be coz we use EZ Flow.

I'm abit dubious to use it now as you have still encountered problems with it, i wonder if Sam has any suggestions.?? I will PM him and see what he says.

Sam's Pm box is full so i've sent it to Mrs Geek, sowill let you know when i hear back.

Latest posts

Back