Problem with employee, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candypinks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I've just officially joined but have visited the site many times and have found really helpful information and you guys have helped me through the last few months, although you have been completely unaware of it! I have a wee question, what do you offer in terms of staff discount? Do you let staff have their treatments for free or do you offer a percentage discount. I have a member of staff complain that she thinks she should be given treatments free or at least at cost price. My feelings are that SHE is actually being paid her wage to sit there and get the treatment done, whilst I'm also paying another member of staff to do the treatment AND paying for the products used! Officially they have a 25% staff discount although I have allowed them to have lots of treatments free when we've been quiet and trying out new products, techniques etc. However this girl is going on holiday and wanted nails, toes and various other bits done. Our diary is busy this week, I commented that if she had booked herself in as a paying customer then there would have been time allocated for her. She has accused me of being unfair and that she feels totally unappreciated. Have I been unfair? xx

Generally, in most places I have worked .... You get treatments for free, however this is done on your day off, or if its quiet and all work us done x

Yes treatments should be free and done at quiet times or days off. The staff are the first thing clients see and if they look good then it's good advertising for the salon IMO :)

AND It's the perks of the job ;)

The way I see it is, your staff need to have nice hair, they are, of course an advert for your salon. But dont let them take the mic. make them come in on their day off or only if you are quiet. I personally dont charge them for colour etc But I do give them products for cost price. HTH x

The way I see it is, your staff need to have nice hair, they are, of course an advert for your salon. But dont let them take the mic. make them come in on their day off or only if you are quiet. I personally dont charge them for colour etc But I do give them products for cost price. HTH x

Totally agree with that i went to a salon and there employees went else where for there hair doing because they had to pay full price at where they worked i was so shocked imagine if client says oh i love how that is done did you get here? Well no actually it was the salon down the road x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

The salon I work at, only charge, at discount nails and lashes, but all other treatments are free. And providing it is on thier day off x

If they book tment while they should be working then they should pay full price and take the time as holiday. Personally I would let them do the treatments while they should be working.
If they come in on their own time then the tments will be free as long as neither of them are doing it in salon time.

Im a hairdresser and work within a hair and beauty salon. The salon was just beauty until my friend opened up a hair salon in two of the rooms. We get out hair done for free, if its quiet or on our days off. If we get our colour put in on a busy day we just have to leave it on til we have time to get it rinsed! None of us are blonde lol.

We get 50% discount in the beauty salon as if we have anything done it is advertising for that salon. The beauty boss would hate for a hair client to say oh you tan/lashes/nails etc are fab, did ya get them done upstairs/. Eh no I got them done in XYZ around the corner....
The beauty girls also get their hair treatments half price, we don't charge them for blowdries tho.

Thanks folks, I completely agree that they should look good and they have had numerous treatments totally free, what really pees me off though is when they're sitting doing each other's nails and there's nail dust you could write your name in on the shelves, filing to be done, dishes in the sink, I could go on. This girl works full time, so not possible to do on day off as everyone else off too. I always try to be fair with them, never ask them to do anything I don't do myself. I'm there first in the morning, last out at night, never take a holiday, stress myself silly, work my butt off to continue building the salon to ensure my own and their job security, after her comments today, I think 'stuff it, why bother?' It was a whole lot less stressful when I worked on my own xx

i also allow free treatments if it is quiet or on their day off and products at cost price.

obviously clients get preference on time slots.

as far as your staff sitting doing their nails whilst the salon needs cleaning.

call a meeting, tell them exactly what is expected of them and that their maintance treatments are allowed when all cleaning etc is done.

I agree, my staff get their hair done when we have a quiet spot. I don't charge for colour.

If there was stuff to do, that would get done first.

Thanks folks, I completely agree that they should look good and they have had numerous treatments totally free, what really pees me off though is when they're sitting doing each other's nails and there's nail dust you could write your name in on the shelves, filing to be done, dishes in the sink, I could go on. This girl works full time, so not possible to do on day off as everyone else off too. I always try to be fair with them, never ask them to do anything I don't do myself. I'm there first in the morning, last out at night, never take a holiday, stress myself silly, work my butt off to continue building the salon to ensure my own and their job security, after her comments today, I think 'stuff it, why bother?' It was a whole lot less stressful when I worked on my own xx

But it's your salon so you will have to work the hardest, not take holidays etc :(
Call a staff meeting and tell them the way you feel, tell them they can't have treatments when it's busy etc. You need to put your foot down and at least they'll know how you feel and when they should have things done, namely when it's quiet and when all the cleaning is done :)

Where I worked we got out treatments for free when it was quiet or in our own time. If we needed it done at a certain time and booked an appointment we got a 25% discount. I think if a salons not busy doing each other hair etc looks much better for a potential client looking in than seeing staff sitting around doing nothing. Xx

i also think free, if the salon is very busy and no time we would stay on after wrk and do each other or if the salon was quiet it looks better staff doing something rather than nothing, nothing worse than staff moping about at reception. this would only happen if all other duties had been done of course,

In my salon we used to get one 1-hour free treatment a month, but we had to come in on our day off to have it, or if we were really quiet and there was another therapist on stand-by for any walk-ins. Then anything over and above that we had to pay half price. Generally speaking though, the girls would normally have a free spray tan and nails done (painted or shellac) than a full 1 hour treatment. I agree, they are promoting your business but at the same time shouldnt take the pee. Also, file & paints were free because we did it on ourselves i.e. if a new colour had launched we would all paint our own toe-nails with it. Maybe just stick with 2 30 minute treatments free a month and list all the treatments they can have for free a month and put it up in the staff-room and then a price list for employees for all other treatments. Oh and also, eyebrow waxing was free - hardly any time/product used xx

Actually how about:

UNLIMITED FREE TREATMENTS FOR STAFF:

Eyebrow waxing
Underarm waxing
File & paint feet
Eyebrow/lash tinting
etc..
(things that hardly cost you anything and make your staff look good)

MONTHLY FREE TREATMENTS FOR STAFF (PICK 2 PER MONTH):

Manicure
Pedicure
Intimate Wax
Full Leg Wax
Spray Tan
Shellac Nails
Minx Nails
etc... (things that cost you a bit)

STAFF PRICE LIST:

Once you have used your 2 free monthly treatments, you will receive a 50% discount on all other treatments.

Please note that ALL of these treatments MUST be carried out on your day off OR if we are exceptionally quiet and there is another therapist in the salon that is free for any walk-ins.

hths

Your staff definitely need some written rules so everybody knows where they stand.

I would agree that either treatments can be done when you are quiet and absolutely everything else is done, as long as you drop what you are doing if a paying customer walks in.

You could do a discount for booked treatments. Or even have one evening a month where everybody stays late and you all do eachothers treatments and get some pizza's in or whatever and have some girly bonding time xx

We dont pay for hair colours,cuts,treatments etc and more often than not we do it at the end of a day but we just dont take the micky.
Our salon is way too busy every day for any of us to have anything done anyway.
When we have,say a bright red,wel buy the semi at cost price and get another stylist to wash it through after work.
We also do shellac at the salon and all the stylists are currently wearing rockstar toes to show them off!Weve had loads of bookings from clients after theyve seen our feet.
We also have clients asking for some of the colours we have so i ant imagine going to another salon to get stuff done as really stylists/beautiicians etc should be show casing YOUR salon and what you can offer out there.
Do you have anything in their contract about wearing smart clothes/uniform and make up to be worn?If so,then the hair/nails are just as important.

I do agree though that you should maybe have a meeting and state that EVERYTHING needs to be done in the salon BEFORE they have anything done,and maybe say if they dont make their workplace presentable and clean then they wont be having anything done in your time at all.

Its your salon and your the boss so you call the shots.

Why dont you try giving them an Incentive...say..Retail 5 products and you can have a treatment that way you both benefit, however I would definately not let a member of staff call the shots to you as it is your salon after all.

Latest posts

Back