Problem with gel top coat looking dirty.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBelize

Reaction score
I recently switched gel systems to Brisa but I find that the clear top coat, once cured, looks dirty in some areas. Do you know what causes this and how to prevent it? Could it be because it is too thick? I did not have this problem with the gel I was using before.

Im quite new to brisa as well so im afraid i cant help but i havent had any problems with it. I absoloutely love the end result.

What system you used before?

Hi hun, From your profile you don't appear to be a nail geek. Have you been trained in Brisa? Your question should have been covered in the course. This site is invaluable but you need to learn the basics face to face!

Please don't think we are being rude or unhelpful but professional products need professional training:hug:

First and foremost, I am a salon owner...and not that I should have to justifiy my question to a board, but I've recently enrolled in a course with Star and haven't started yet. Meanwhile, whether or not you approve, in my country (Canada), nail techs do not need to be certified....Anyone can do them. Despite this fact, because I own a salon and I want to be professional, I have enrolled for the course. Presently, I am practicing on people for free and because of this, I had a simple little question.

I guess I will go back to the more reliable product (Star) and wait for my professional training.....face to face!!! :rolleyes: Didn't think it was such a secret... Oh, and please don't think I am being rude. I just thought this was a board in which I can ask such questions...

Without sounding to be like the character from "little britain" .....DUST!!!
That could be the problem.
BTW...does being a SALON OWNER make a difference to anyones training?????????
If ANYONE can do them then go right ahead hun and good luck to you.

My Belize, just wondering, have you read the other ongoing thread at the moment..headed Newbies Fluffing, started by Nailzoo

Might explain why you were asked about your profile, HTH

Yes, I have read that thread and the below quote taken from that thread pretty much expresses how I feel about it.... It really makes newbies afraid to post and it's nice to see so many people willing to help despite the newbie stigma....

Will put my two penny worth in :green:

To be honest it doesnt matter if your a newbie on this site as you still could have been a beauty therapist for god knows how many years. And i also dont think it matters how long someone has been doing nails for.

Of course its not good for people to buy a book and dvd and then think they are a nail tech but then surely isnt it upto us to guide them in the right direction as some people can be niave?

This forum is here to help whether you are qualified or you are wanting to qualify - surely if you are an experienced nail tech with years of experience behind you, you will then feel good and privlliaged that you can guide someone in the right direction?

Also i dont think it would be right for people to put their certificate number etc on here as its a forum and in my opinion no1 really has to prove anything to anyone on the internet

xx

Yes, I have read that thread and the below quote taken from that thread pretty much expresses how I feel about it.... It really makes newbies afraid to post and it's nice to see so many people willing to help despite the newbie stigma....

I think a few people have taken Nailzoo's thread the wrong way tbh, it isn't aimed at people like yourself, it is aimed at people who want to make a quick bit of money but do no training and buy unauthorised product etc.

Anyhoo, your question, with brisa topcoat, you have to refine the enhancement with no higher than a 180 grit, remove the dust thoroughly with a brush and make sure you don't touch the nail,so you don't have any oils on there then apply your topcoat, you shouldn't have a problem.

hth :)

First and foremost, I am a salon owner...and not that I should have to justifiy my question to a board, but I've recently enrolled in a course with Star and haven't started yet. Meanwhile, whether or not you approve, in my country (Canada), nail techs do not need to be certified....Anyone can do them. Despite this fact, because I own a salon and I want to be professional, I have enrolled for the course. Presently, I am practicing on people for free and because of this, I had a simple little question.

I guess I will go back to the more reliable product (Star) and wait for my professional training.....face to face!!! :rolleyes: Didn't think it was such a secret... Oh, and please don't think I am being rude. I just thought this was a board in which I can ask such questions...

I am shocked at how defensive your post is, you have been given no reason to be. The geeks so far have given very good advice and have only asked simple questions which we always ask about profiles etc. Please don't take it pesonally. We see the word newbie as a positive thing not negative and we welcome all new comers but obviously want to ask questions to see what their background is first. Happy geeking!

I am shocked at how defensive your post is, you have been given no reason to be. The geeks so far have given very good advice and have only asked simple questions which we always ask about profiles etc. Please don't take it pesonally. We see the word newbie as a positive thing not negative and we welcome all new comers but obviously want to ask questions to see what their background is first. Happy geeking!

Look....All I did was ask a teensy, tiny question about Brisa Top Gel Coat... and I felt that in the "so-called point" that she was trying to make, she could have actually been "helpful" and answered the question....that's all...If I came across defensive, well that is because I was. I understand the point she wanted to make, but my defensiveness came from her not having the courtesy to answer the question WHILE making her point.

Anyhoo, your question, with brisa topcoat, you have to refine the enhancement with no higher than a 180 grit, remove the dust thoroughly with a brush and make sure you don't touch the nail,so you don't have any oils on there then apply your topcoat, you shouldn't have a problem.

hth :)

Thank you so much for your help....:)

Look....All I did was ask a teensy, tiny question about Brisa Top Gel Coat... and I felt that in the "so-called point" that she was trying to make, she could have actually been "helpful" and answered the question....that's all...If I came across defensive, well that is because I was. I understand the point she wanted to make, but my defensiveness came from her not having the courtesy to answer the question WHILE making her point.

Thanks for the reply, I do understand but I am sure you can see (as a professional yourself) that if someone asks a question here then we need to know we are talking to a trained tech first which is why filling in your profile comes into it. Dont be defensive there really is no need to be. The thing is the geeks want to know if you have had CND training, if not then they can't help you as you need CND training to use their products well. Otherwise we would have all come here instead of spending a lot of money to learn. Surely you can see where we are coming from?

Thanks for the reply, I do understand but I am sure you can see (as a professional yourself) that if someone asks a question here then we need to know we are talking to a trained tech first which is why filling in your profile comes into it. Dont be defensive there really is no need to be. The thing is the geeks want to know if you have had CND training, if not then they can't help you as you need CND training to use their products well. Otherwise we would have all come here instead of spending a lot of money to learn. Surely you can see where we are coming from?

First of all, thank you for responding so nicely...

I own a salon and our salon uses only the best in quality. Being a salon owner allows me to purchase professional products from the distributor. Nails are new to the salon and the girl that works for us was trained with Star products. I am also registered to learn with Star products. Everyone here on this board highly promotes CND so I picked up the starter kit to try it out and had this teensy tiny little problem with the gel top coat. I am a professional in the beauty industry but I am not a professional nail tech or hair tech (yet).

Basically what you are saying is that our girl with 8 years experience with Star needs to take a course in CND products before she should use them. The kit comes with a DVD that we have both watched and I still had the question about the gel top coat. Maybe I should have asked her the question; I am sure she would have known the answer.

I live in Ontario, Canada and currently there is no legislation that says you have to be certified to be a nail tech. This province has tens of thousands of people doing nails with poor quality products. Except for the fact that I have no formal education as a nail tech, quality products are available to me because I own a company that is properly registered to purchase them. Whether or not I choose to have formal education is my perogative in this province and there are thousands and thousands and thousands of people in Canada who do not have it. I don't think that makes them any less professional if they've been doing nails for a while. Perhaps they should all be banned from posting questions such as mine? My question was specific to Brisa which obviously indicates a problem with a professional product. I could easily go back to Star but my intention was to try a product that might be superior.

Long winded I know... but yes I see where you are coming from not wanting to respond to people trying to get a free education and I guess my answer to that is.."so what?" You can't start questioning the integrity of every dumb question posted because...well....that would be a lot of questioning...:)

I recently switched gel systems to Brisa but I find that the clear top coat, once cured, looks dirty in some areas. Do you know what causes this and how to prevent it? Could it be because it is too thick? I did not have this problem with the gel I was using before.

I am CND trained and a CND trainer with 25 years experience so maybe I can help.

When finished filing the nail to final shape it is important that the file you have used is not a smooth one ... it should be done with a 180 grit file in all cases.

Then make sure all the dust is removed form the surface and that you have not touched the surface with your fingers whilst working with the file. If you are unsure if you have touched the nail and maybe left some oil or contamination there, then Scrubfresh the surface with a damp pad to clean and let DRY completely.

Then apply the Brisa Finishing Gloss in nice glossy layer (like a good coat of top coat polish). Cure for 2 minutes using the Brisa Lamp .. remove the sticky layer and all should be just perfect and beautiful.

If you are encountering any problems then my guess is that you may not be using the Brisa UV Lamp. Because Brisa is a 'cool' gel and has not got a sharp heat spike it requires more UV output from the UV lamp to cure it. The Brisa UV Lamp is developed to provide a greaer UV output from thebulbs in the lamp which is why it is important to only use the lamp made for this system.

Finally, if you do not have a Brisa UV Lamp then this month there is a special CND promotion on the lamp so check with your distributor. I hope this has helped.

I am CND trained and a CND trainer with 25 years experience so maybe I can help.

When finished filing the nail to final shape it is important that the file you have used is not a smooth one ... it should be done with a 180 grit file in all cases.

Then make sure all the dust is removed form the surface and that you have not touched the surface with your fingers whilst working with the file. If you are unsure if you have touched the nail and maybe left some oil or contamination there, then Scrubfresh the surface with a damp pad to clean and let DRY completely.

Then apply the Brisa Finishing Gloss in nice glossy layer (like a good coat of top coat polish). Cure for 2 minutes using the Brisa Lamp .. remove the sticky layer and all should be just perfect and beautiful.

If you are encountering any problems then my guess is that you may not be using the Brisa UV Lamp. Because Brisa is a 'cool' gel and has not got a sharp heat spike it requires more UV output from the UV lamp to cure it. The Brisa UV Lamp is developed to provide a greaer UV output from thebulbs in the lamp which is why it is important to only use the lamp made for this system.

Finally, if you do not have a Brisa UV Lamp then this month there is a special CND promotion on the lamp so check with your distributor. I hope this has helped.

Thank you so much for responding. It's interesting that you mention the UV lamp not being compatible with the product. Because I didn't have this problem doing my daughter's nails at the salon with the Brisa lamp but when I brought the product home and did my own nails, I had the problem using a different lamp. Part of the problem might have been dust, but it's interesting that the lamp could have also been the culprit.

Hi,
I don't know why the top coat looks dirty to you. I thought it looked cloudy. I like IBD top coats better and find them to be compatible with Brisa. I live in the USA and where I am there is no availability of face to face training. I have 30 years experience as a licensed nail tech and still sometimes have to ask "dumb" questions. I have learned on my own to do Gels. All the manufacturers have telephone support and I often get the best advice from one of their professional techs.
Just my opinion: even if you never expects to apply a set of nails to a client, as a salon owner, it is to your benefit to know everything you can know about the products and services your salon provides. How else are you to answer the "dumb" questions of a non-trained client?
Keep asking!

Thank you so much for responding. It's interesting that you mention the UV lamp not being compatible with the product. Because I didn't have this problem doing my daughter's nails at the salon with the Brisa lamp but when I brought the product home and did my own nails, I had the problem using a different lamp. Part of the problem might have been dust, but it's interesting that the lamp could have also been the culprit.

If you are not using the Brisa lamp, then the gel will not be fully cured and hence the result you saw. Uncured gel is a hazard ... allergy could ensue and also service breakdown so you have learned a good lesson right there. ALWAYS use the lamp recommended for the gel you are using ... anything else will not do the job thoroughly.

Dust will not be the problem ... we have identified the problem.

Hi,
IJust my opinion: even if you never expects to apply a set of nails to a client, as a salon owner, it is to your benefit to know everything you can know about the products and services your salon provides. How else are you to answer the "dumb" questions of a non-trained client?
Keep asking!

I agree 100%!!! I also plan on taking a waxing course. I am not sure I will ever do it but it's something I want to learn more about.

Latest posts

Back